News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How are we at Safety?

Started by brownelvis54, February 06, 2024, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

How do you feel about our current Safety situation? If you were GM you leave things the way they are? The greatest question mark IMI is what to do with Xavier McKinney. How much would you be willing to spend? Can you get better or about the same in FA, and cheaper? As the GM, you would be held to the same issues as Joe has. Too many needs and too little money.

Jason Pinnock and Dane Belton are keepers for sure. Gervarrius Owens? Cheap rookie, Can one of these three be a SS? Can one of our corners Tre Hawkins III? Fill in as a safety?
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

The new DC seems to lean heavily on safeties, the the Giants will need to shore up this unit by keeping McKinney or adding through the draft or free agency
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

They need to sign McKinney.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 06, 2024, 12:24:55 PMThey need to sign McKinney.

He's going to be expensive, but if they don't that's yet another hole to fill
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

At the risk of being redundant, "WE MUST RE-SIGN MCKINNEY". If we do, we're good with him and Pinnock. I'm sure we'll draft another or pick up a UDFA after the draft to groom. As long as we keep McKinney, we're in good shape here
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Stringer Bell

I like McKinney as much as anyone. In fact, safety has always been the position I've been the biggest fan of.

Despite those things, I don't think we should give McKinney big money. If he was willing to sign a below-market deal, I'd be all over it. But there is 0% chance that happens. Someone is going to pay him A LOT of money, and I just hope it's not the Giants.

As I posted on a different thread, it has never made sense to pay a safety big money outside of 2 guys - Reed and Lott.

Out of 5 top-paid safeties in the league right now - James, Fitzpatrick, Adams, Bates, and Smith - not one is worth the money they're signed for.

I'm guessing the floor and comp for a McKinney deal is Justin Simmons' 4-year, $61 million deal. No way I'm looking to pay a "just" top 10 safety that kind of money.

brownelvis54

Sem

There are questions about starters and backups that they need resolve:

Unknown, at least to us:
- Does McKinney even want to stay? If he does would the Giants be
willing to pay his asking price?

- How do they feel about Gervarrius Owens?

- How comfortable are they that Belton can be a full time starter?

What the Giants do in FA and the draft, regarding the Safety position, will likely be largely dependant on the answers to these questions.

TDToomer

Just my monthly reminder that the Giants have not extended or resigned a safety that they had previously drafted since Shawn Williams in 2002.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Stringer Bell

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 06, 2024, 01:17:17 PMLooks like 10 Million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/xavier-mckinney-47631/market-value/

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that $10M doesn't come close to getting it done. He'll be at 40-50% higher than that at $14M-$15M per, at minimum.

gregf

Sure, it will be expensive,  but he's a young quality player.  I'd pass on  Barkley, Glow, and Adoree to get it done

brownelvis54

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 06, 2024, 03:09:03 PMI'd be willing to bet any amount of money that $10M doesn't come close to getting it done. He'll be at 40-50% higher than that at $14M-$15M per, at minimum.

You are probably right. Look at Kamren Curl same age too

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-commanders/kamren-curl-47814/market-value/

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 06, 2024, 12:24:55 PMThey need to sign McKinney.
Quote from: TDToomer on February 06, 2024, 02:11:57 PMJust my monthly reminder that the Giants have not extended or resigned a safety that they had previously drafted since Shawn Williams in 2002.

I hope this changes