News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants won't Tag Barkley

Started by EDjohnst1981, February 07, 2024, 10:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Not an unexpected move:

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1755242815322243140?s=20

He's ask is likely too rich for the Giants but I suspect he won't sign a deal larger than the one JS offered last year.

MightyGiants

Good. At this point, Barkley's value seems based more on reputation and being a former number 2 overall pick than on ability.

Plenty of veteran RBs are available who will prove cheaper and more productive.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

I'd be willing to go as high as the James Conner contract - 3 years, $21 million. Nothing higher.

Don't see a lot of times beating down his door to drop big money on an oft-injured RB.

And if he does sign elsewhere, sign a mid-tier vet vs. using another mid-round draft pick on the position. I want OG and DT in the middle rounds.

Bob In PA

It's possible the Giants agree with some of you that he can't get a better deal elsewhere.

In that case, IMO they'll still try to match his best offer.

Wherever he goes, the odds are it will be to a team with an O-line that knows how to block consistently.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 07, 2024, 11:17:44 AMIt's possible the Giants agree with some of you that he can't get a better deal elsewhere.

In that case, IMO they'll still try to match his best offer.

Wherever he goes, the odds are it will be to a team with an O-line that knows how to block consistently.

Bob

You could be proven correct.   Still, I think these days RBs are what WRs used to be, the shiny hood ornaments of the team.  It's the last position a building team (which the Giants certainly are) should be worried about.  To that end, I think there are talented teams who are currently contenders who will get more value from Barkley than NYG.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

It will be a very  sad day if Barkley leaves for another team. There are many intangibles that he brings to the team that cannot be valued strictly in monetary terms.

If Daniel Jones struggles next year without Barkley , supporters will say he has no running game nor a back who can catch the ball and make things happen , and you know what,  they will be correct .

Fix the OL line and keep Barkley !!!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 07, 2024, 11:28:04 AMIt will be a very  sad day if Barkley leaves for another team. There are many intangibles that he brings to the team that cannot be valued strictly in monetary terms.
While that's true, thinking like that probably contributes to the position the team is in right now.  I want the decision maker here to be ruthless in viewing value in monetary terms.  Paying more than value is not a recipe for a good team.  The mistake with Barkley, aside from Gettleman's moronic decision, was not unloading Barkley when he would have brought something back.  Thank you John Mara, the other moron we still have around.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 07, 2024, 11:20:11 AMYou could be proven correct.   Still, I think these days RBs are what WRs used to be, the shiny hood ornaments of the team.  It's the last position a building team (which the Giants certainly are) should be worried about.  To that end, I think there are talented teams who are currently contenders who will get more value from Barkley than NYG.   

Rich: Absolutely right.

In another thread, I just wrote (in the Matt Miller topic) the reverse about how the game has changed.

Used to be a great RB was a "must" to winning a Super Bowl; now IMO the "must" is an elite WR.

Bob

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 07, 2024, 11:20:11 AMYou could be proven correct.  Still, I think these days RBs are what WRs used to be, the shiny hood ornaments of the team.  It's the last position a building team (which the Giants certainly are) should be worried about.  To that end, I think there are talented teams who are currently contenders who will get more value from Barkley than NYG. 

Tell that to  Christian McCaffrey,  Isiah Pachecho ,  Jahmyr Gibbs, David  Montgomery, Jonathan Taylor, Aaron Jones,Bijan Robinson

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: nb587 on February 07, 2024, 11:32:08 AMWhile that's true, thinking like that probably contributes to the position the team is in right now.  I want the decision maker here to be ruthless in viewing value in monetary terms.  Paying more than value is not a recipe for a good team.  The mistake with Barkley, aside from Gettleman's moronic decision, was not unloading Barkley when he would have brought something back.  Thank you John Mara, the other moron we still have around.

How do you replace the best offensive player that we have . Gettleman's moronic decision was not standing pat and passing up on Michah Parsons !!  We can agree to disagree. Mine is only an opinion which is worth or worthless as anyone elses opinion.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 07, 2024, 11:41:47 AMTell that to  Christian McCaffrey,  Isiah Pachecho ,  Jahmyr Gibbs, David  Montgomery, Jonathan Taylor, Aaron Jones,Bijan Robinson

CM languished with the rebuilding Panthers and suddenly flourished with the uber-talented 49ers
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

I think they made an agreement with Barkley last year that if he signed a 1 year deal to get him into camp they wouldn't tag him this year.  Pure speculation based on no facts or evidence but that's what I think because otherwise I don't know why he would have agreed to sign anything last year when he could have held out and held the team hostage with no viable RB on the roster. 

I think it was a wink wink thing where you give us one more year with Jones to try and build on the previous season.  If you and the team do well we give you a long term deal.  If not we won't prevent you from free agency. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 07, 2024, 11:48:45 AMCM languished with the rebuilding Panthers and suddenly flourished with the uber-talented 49ers
Rich: I was waiting for that point to be made (about McCaffrey, a super player I wished for when he came out).

Compare the offensive line performance and note which team has the better WR's/TE's.

By the way, if they had taken McCaffrey there would have been a different pick the next year at Number Two.

Bob

Jolly Blue Giant

Some points (just my opinion):

1) just because someone says he won't be tagged doesn't mean he won't be. No one knows what Schoen is going to do. Pre-negotiations (like pre-draft), are full of red herrings because it's "lyin season"

2) I've been saying if for years, and I'll say it again..."you can get away with 'RB by Committee' when you have a great offensive line". Great RBs (in today's modern game) require great play calling coupled with an exceptional o-line...something Barkley's not had as a Giant

3) I suspect Barkley would prefer to remain a Giant, but he can't say that prior to any negotiations. He has to say he's ready to wear another uniform. It's just smart business. He certainly isn't going to say that he will not play for any other team because he will only play for the Giants. That'd be dumb
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: