News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

UK Giants does his first mock draft

Started by MightyGiants, February 09, 2024, 11:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Many of you know UKGiants, our resident draft expert (he used to write about the draft for Pat Traina).  Here was his first mock draft

https://x.com/ukgiantsfan1/status/1755981752961564757?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Well done.  McCarthy at Pick 19 is totally defensible (although I still believe the Giants' most important "need" on offense is a top WR.  But there is nothing (IMO) wrong with the outcome suggested by Ceri.  There will be one or two free-agent WR's out there this year if the Giants have the money to pay them.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

I like his draft, but I don't believe that McCarthy will last anywhere near 19
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Good job Ceri. You have been right more often than most of us so I like it a lot and I can live with all those picks. :ok:  :ok:  :ok:  :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 09, 2024, 11:25:00 AMI like his draft, but I don't believe that McCarthy will last anywhere near 19

Rich: I also like that draft but don't think it will happen for another reason (although I agree with your post).

At Pick Six it's theoretically "iffy" whether they'll have a shot at a top five WR or QB whom they actually want.

But I believe there are enough players at other positions to almost assume one of the five teams ahead of them will go somewhere other than QB and WR, which IMO significantly increases their odds of having either the QB or the WR they want still available at Pick Six.

Bob

PS. Inevitably, our analyses will be upended by free-agency but as of today they're as good as anyone's guesses.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

sooners56

Don't like it at all! Don't pass up an elite WR, Elite Olineman, or elite pass rusher for a trade down to take an iffy QB. Darius Robinson with their 1st 2nd rd pick? Had to be better options available. I like the Cooper Beebe pick though.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 09, 2024, 11:38:14 AMRich: I also like that draft but don't think it will happen for another reason (although I agree with your post).

At Pick Six it's theoretically "iffy" whether they'll have a shot at a top five WR or QB whom they actually want.

But I believe there are enough players at other positions to almost assume one of the five teams ahead of them will go somewhere other than QB and WR, which IMO significantly increases their odds of having either the QB or the WR they want still available at Pick Six.

Bob

PS. Inevitably, our analyses will be upended by free-agency but as of today they're as good as anyone's guess.

At this point in time, the draft is worth discussing in terms of prospects that are likely to be available, but that discussion really should be tied to (as you pointed out) free agency as who the team decides to sign is partly determined by what needs the team feels the draft can cover.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

McCarthy may go higher than #19. Makes perfect job security sense for Daboll and Schoen with him to develop. So many holes on the team..maybe some like OL can be filled in FA. Like this draft overall. Good job.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 09, 2024, 11:25:00 AMI like his draft, but I don't believe that McCarthy will last anywhere near 19

Couldn't agree more

katkavage

I like the draft down scenario. I believe strongly that if they can't get a QB at 6 or Marvin Harrison, they should try to draft down and accumulate picks. Not sure McCarthy will last until 19. More likely 5-10 but might even go in the top three as his stock rises and others (Maye) fall.

Jolly Blue Giant

I like most of the picks. And no offense Ceri, I have great respect for you and your opinions, BUT...I don't think for one second that the Giants have any intentions of going for one of the early QBs. I agree with Phil Simms, Tiki Barber, Eli Manning, and a host of others who know much more than me...and they think DJ is a Giant for the long haul and believe it's the right choice. We already know the team likes, and respects him, and the front office must also since they bent over and signed him. After all that, I just can't come to grips with the Giants going after a QB and going through two or three more years taking losses and getting him up to NFL speed. They know better than any of us that history is filled with "great college QBs" busting once they reach the big show. It's such a crap shoot and they know it

Regardless, because of my adamant belief that we'll never go for one of the highly rated QBs this year, I can't give an honest assessment of your picks. One pick I'm a little leery of is Cooper Beebe who didn't look very good at all at the senior bowl. Jackson Powers-Johnson on the other (previously ranked the same as Beebe) absolutely dominated the best of the best pass rushers and defensive lineman. He's a friggin beast. I was high on Beebe until after the Senior Bowl. Now, I'd rather take Zak Zinter, who has fallen because of his injury...but that's just me...overly opinionated and often wrong  :crazy:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

UKGiantsFan

Yeah, me neither. But it was fun to get him later on AND grab a mega haul of picks. The point of accepting the trade was to see what else I could get, at which positions, on day two.

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 09, 2024, 01:41:29 PMOne pick I'm a little leery of is Cooper Beebe who didn't look very good at all at the senior bowl. Jackson Powers-Johnson on the other (previously ranked the same as Beebe) absolutely dominated the best of the best pass rushers and defensive lineman. He's a friggin beast. I was high on Beebe until after the Senior Bowl. Now, I'd rather take Zak Zinter, who has fallen because of his injury...but that's just me...overly opinionated and often wrong  :crazy:

Hate to tell you this but Beebe accepted his invitation to the Senior Bowl but didn't attend...  Not sure who you thought you were watching but it wasn't him!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on February 09, 2024, 03:52:51 PMYeah, me neither. But it was fun to get him later on AND grab a mega haul of picks. The point of accepting the trade was to see what else I could get, at which positions, on day two.

Hate to tell you this but Beebe accepted his invitation to the Senior Bowl but didn't attend...  Not sure who you thought you were watching but it wasn't him!

Thanks for the heads up...I went by numbers and thought I had read the number for Beebe. Not surprising, I'm multi-tasking and dealing with a lot of crap while the TV is going in the background. My bad...again  :crazy:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

brownelvis54

I agree. Rumors were the Rams were targeting McCarthy. Also I think we should look at getting a TE too and of course my " Brandon Jacob" of running backs. I wouldnt be mad if we drafted two RBs
The KING is in the building

spiderblue43

It makes sense that Daboll wants to develop his own guy (McCarthy perhaps).  Drafting him as the next stalwart qb would allow Mara and the media to ride out the Jones failure and look towards 2025. So..I think if there's a desire early that is looking long term..it's defensible with a swap in round 1.