News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- After his Super Bowl perfomance what do you think of Brock Purdy

Started by MightyGiants, February 12, 2024, 08:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

What are your thoughts on Brock Purdy and his performance yesterday?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

He's an excellent QB. Unfortunately for him he was playing against the MVP of the game. Steve Spagnuolo.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

After posting this thread, I came across this article at 33rd team

Brock Purdy Is Really Good — But Not Elite — And That Matters In NFL Playoffs

https://www.the33rdteam.com/brock-purdy-is-really-good-but-not-elite-and-that-matters-in-nfl-playoffs/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

He is very very good. But sadly we compare him to Mahomes, who is in a class by himself.

BluesCruz

I'd say the two QBs were comparable.

The surrounding cast for KC seems to be better that was thought

It was a very close game.  Neither QB was dominant

An old Lombardi quote- "Fatigue makes cowards fo us all". SF seemed tire at the end.  Also the playcalling for KC was superior, or at least seemed so

Have to hand it to KC andAndy Reid- Very tough to repeat

If I had to pick an MVP it would be Spags
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

nb587

He's a kid.  He's good now and I'm thinking he'll get better with more experience.  Fir what it's worth, it didnt look like he was overmatched.

H-Town G-Fan

He's fine, but the 49ers had an elite group of skill-position players. I think if you swapped him and Mahomes this game isn't close.

JT39

20 QBs could easily do what he does.

6 all pros on offense
A very good defense
Very good offensive head coach

Will never have the arm strength or athleticism to be elite. Once his rookie deal is done - 49ers are better moving on.

Philosophers

I dont like the premise of this post.  Brock Purdy is a damn good QB certainly good enough to win a SB.  Let's keep in mind the Chiefs oin, not Mahomes.  The 49ers lost, not Purdy.  The final TD play was not some magic that Mahomes did.  It was a great call executed well by 11 offensive players.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on February 12, 2024, 10:12:06 AMI dont like the premise of this post.  Brock Purdy is a damn good QB certainly good enough to win a SB.  Let's keep in mind the Chiefs oin, not Mahomes.  The 49ers lost, not Purdy.  The final TD play was not some magic that Mahomes did.  It was a great call executed well by 11 offensive players.
I agree in principal as far Purdy and most QBs are concerned, but seriously, do the Chiefs win three out of four Super Bowls without Mahomes? We have to recognize that he does things to win most cannot.

Doc16LT56

I have a lot of respect for how Purdy handled himself in the game. He's not Mahomes, but no one is. Who knows, he may be back.

kartanoman

Definitely, keep the scope of this thread to "AFTER THE SUPER BOWL," what do I think of him?

I was a fan of his when he came off the bench, last year in that drubbing against the Chiefs, and remain a fan of his after Mahomes threw his TD pass and built the next layer on the foundation of what is becoming a Chiefs' dynasty.

Purdy played very well yesterday and I will go out on a limb and say some of his out of the pocket moves, to buy time, before he hit his receivers downfield, reminded me just a tiny bit of Joe Montana; just a little bit, mind you. The 49ers' game plan wasn't set up for Purdy having to step up and be a hero, although there were situations where he had them for the taking if he was up for it; the Chiefs' defense was outstanding in those situations.

Mr. Irrelevant played on the biggest stage and Tony Romo said it best, "He's not Mr. Irrelevant anymore!"

I couldn't agree more. He'll continue to grow in Shanahan's system and, depending on how long the 49ers' window remains open, he and his team may be back again for another crack soon."

The glass slipper didn't fit last night, but he'll get another chance. The kid will work and dedicate himself for the cause.

All of us, here in the Valley of the Sun, and especially the folks of Queen Creek, are very proud of what he accomplished this season.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

sooners56

He threw some nice passes and also some bad passes. He looked above average but considering the talent around him I expected more.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

LennG

They asked him to do too much. As we know, he is not Mahones, he isn't really half the QBs in the League. He is still a kid in terms of age. The 49ers should have used their offensive MVP to carry the game and not put it on Purdy. As we saw, he just can't carry a team to a championship, at least not yet.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss