News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Spags

Started by MightyGiants, February 12, 2024, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

We are just lending him to the cheifs
Our defensive coordinators are responible for about 25 perfcent of superbowl.and superbowl wins
We are spoiled when.it comes to defensive coordinators
I think they have about 18m superbowls between the 3 of them

Ed Vette

If the Giants had kept him on as the HC after his interim following the firing of McAdoo and got him a good OC, who knows. Also, firing McAdoo in season was a total over-reaction after one bad season. It didn't need to go down that way.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Including last night's OT game, the Chiefs D gave up a total of 22 2nd half points in 4 post season games. 

Here is the 2nd half points yielded by round:

Wild card -    Dolphins 0
Division  -    Bills    7
Championship - Ravens 3
Super Bowl -   49ers 12 (includes OT)

Some pretty good offenses on that list and in two full games worth of play, they gave up 2 TDs and 3 FGs.  Teams will win a lot of games when they don't give up points in the 2nd half. 

Gmo11

I decided midway through the game to root for the Chiefs specifically for Spags.  Had been pretty neutral before then.  But seeing that guy on the sidelines and remembering what he did to those undefeated Patriots made me smile.  I'll root for that guy for as long as he's doing it...unless he's doing it against the giants.

T200

Quote from: Gmo11 on February 12, 2024, 11:48:16 AMI decided midway through the game to root for the Chiefs specifically for Spags.  Had been pretty neutral before then.  But seeing that guy on the sidelines and remembering what he did to those undefeated Patriots made me smile.  I'll root for that guy for as long as he's doing it...unless he's doing it against the giants.
In the SB prediction thread, I cited Mahomes and Spags as the reasons I thought KC would win.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

Im not 100% sure of this but close to it.  When Shurmur was hired, they fired Spags and brought in Bettcher as a replacement.  What a move. 

What I like Spags, among other things, is that the defenses seem to play better as the season goes on.  It happened to KC this year and last and happened to the Giants during both SB runs

President Rick

i remember talking with Spags at camp in albany, way back then.  Such a nice guy, open, friendly...not to mention a great coach.  When he was our DC I posted that the Giants needed to sign him to a long-term contract, but sadly he left for the HC job that didn't work out.  Glad he has found success and a home in KC.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

LennG

As good as Spags is, I remember many threads here on how we need to move on; Spags had lost it. etc. etc.

When you have the players it is easier to be a great DC, when you don't, well, we know that from experience.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TONKA56

Quote from: LennG on February 12, 2024, 08:25:38 PMAs good as Spags is, I remember many threads here on how we need to move on; Spags had lost it. etc. etc.

When you have the players it is easier to be a great DC, when you don't, well, we know that from experience.

This board couldn't run Spags out of town fast enough.

"The league has caught up to him."

"He's not a great DC because he needs good lineman to be successful."

Ridiculous stuff.

killarich

People in here crucified Spags for his stint with the Saints and that his defense was figured out by the league

Even if true what is also true is that he has evolved with the league

He should NOT have been fired both times with the Giants

I like Daboll..but if for some reason he got fired ... I would not mind givng Spags a chance as long as he calls the defensive plays

Is that even a thing ? I know coaches do it offensively... could we do it defensively ?

T200

I've always been a firm believer that people have ceilings. Just because they're excellent at one level doesn't guarantee similar success at a higher level.

Not all great coordinators can/will be great HCs.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: T200 on February 13, 2024, 02:35:04 PMI've always been a firm believer that people have ceilings. Just because they're excellent at one level doesn't guarantee similar success at a higher level.

Not all great coordinators can/will be great HCs.
I'm old enough to remember Lombardi endorsing his longtime assistant Phil Bengston as his replacement. After 3 years and a 20-21-1 record he was fired. Served as interim HC in NE and went 1-4
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"