News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Mara Letter Responding to a Fan Letter

Started by Ed Vette, February 14, 2024, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Not ready to move on from Daniel Jones. But... cough cough, it up to Schoen and Daboll.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Did you write that letter to Mara, Ed?  =))
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 14, 2024, 08:25:15 PMDid you write that letter to Mara, Ed?  =))

Someone from another Giants site did.

Just_jimmy

What else did they expect?

Yeah we hate DJ and we'll draft player x at 6.

Sure...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

T200

Of course they aren't ready to give up on him. They have another truck of money bags to deliver this season. That does not preclude them from drafting a QB they like or at least making some aggressive moves to get him.

Next offseason will be a different story.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

No news in that letter

But nice of him to respond
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

I will say this.   We saw the chart that showed that Daniel Jones (not Jones, Taylor, and Devito) was put in a terrible situation with far more pressures coming the quickest of any QB.   He had 1 great and 1 good game and 4 mediocre games in a no-win situation.   I have a hard time (unless I engage in confirmation bias because I had previous negative views of Jones) saying that sample size is enough to justify the team "giving up on Jones".

That said, I don't understand how John Mara doesn't see an issue with injuries.   It doesn't matter how much talent Jones ultimately processes; he can't win games for the team in the trainer's room.

To the bigger picture, I am also mindful of this reality:

If the Giants planned on drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 of the draft, the public statement would be- We haven't given up on Daniel Jones; we will look at QBs as we look at all positions...

If the Giants planned on passing on a QB in the draft, the public statement would be- We haven't given up on Daniel Jones; we will look at QBs as we look at all positions...

So I am not sure what fans expected to hear from John Mara.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I will say this... After 5 seasons, Daniel Jones has not demonstrated that he can be anything other than an average QB in even the most ideal situations. He had one quarter of good performance against the Hapless Cards last season to come back and win the game after trailing for most of the game. If he had stayed healthy, most likely the Giants would be picking second in the Draft. His injury once again gives him a stay of execution. Mr.Checkdown who crumbles under pressure has the ability to perform well in an optimal environment but when the big moments come, it proves too big for him. No vision, no anticipation, and takes off running instead of moving outside the pocket to extend plays because he can't effectively throw on the run.

Tyrod Taylor outplayed him with the same Offensive Line issues. Tommy DeVito won games based on pure enthusiasm and not being a sad sack.

Looking at the career of Matt Stafford, he played a long time for a lousy organization and some pretty bad teams, but it was obvious that he was a good QB and when he went to a better team he had one great season that matched the 41 TD's and almost 5000 yards he had with the Lions. He's had his injury issues too but his worst healthy season was the only one with under 4000 yards and only 21 TD's.

The time for excuses and justifications is over. He is what he is. Mara is in love with the character of the man and how he represents the NY Giants. That is totally justified. 

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

I will say this, no one has had more excuses for his poor play than Daniel Jones. If the Giants want a future any time soon, they must move on from Jones after next year meaning they must try to find a QB this year. If not, well, we can watch other teams succeed while the Giants spin their wheels in mediocrity. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 15, 2024, 09:39:47 AMI will say this... After 5 seasons, Daniel Jones has not demonstrated that he can be anything other than an average QB in even the most ideal situations. He had one quarter of good performance against the Hapless Cards last season to come back and win the game after trailing for most of the game. If he had stayed healthy, most likely the Giants would be picking second in the Draft. His injury once again gives him a stay of execution. Mr.Checkdown who crumbles under pressure has the ability to perform well in an optimal environment but when the big moments come, it proves too big for him. No vision, no anticipation, and takes off running instead of moving outside the pocket to extend plays because he can't effectively throw on the run.

Tyrod Taylor outplayed him with the same Offensive Line issues. Tommy DeVito won games based on pure enthusiasm and not being a sad sack.

Looking at the career of Matt Stafford, he played a long time for a lousy organization and some pretty bad teams, but it was obvious that he was a good QB and when he went to a better team he had one great season that matched the 41 TD's and almost 5000 yards he had with the Lions. He's had his injury issues too but his worst healthy season was the only one with under 4000 yards and only 21 TD's.

The time for excuses and justifications is over. He is what he is. Mara is in love with the character of the man and how he represents the NY Giants. That is totally justified. 

Jones and Tyrod did not face the same offensive line issues

Jones was pressured 52% of the time, and the pressure got there (on average) in just 2.31 seconds

Taylor was pressured 36% of the time, with the pressure taking 2.58 seconds to get there.

Those are not the same conditions.

Edit to add-   Devito faced pressure 32% of the time taking 2.9 seconds to develop
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 15, 2024, 09:59:28 AMJones and Tyrod did not face the same offensive line issues

Jones was pressured 52% of the time, and the pressure got there (on average) in just 2.31 seconds

Taylor was pressured 36% of the time, with the pressure taking 2.58 seconds to get there.

Edit to add-   Devito faced pressure 32% of the time taking 2.9 seconds to develop
What are the TTT figures for each QB?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 15, 2024, 09:59:28 AMJones and Tyrod did not face the same offensive line issues

Edit to add-  Devito faced pressure 32% of the time taking 2.9 seconds to develop
It's not just 2023, Jones has not produced in 5 years, no other team or fan base would settle for the lack of production from one position for this long. It's wild, if Jones played any other position we would have asked for him to be replaced 3 years ago. But because there's this strange attachment to him people would rather us continue to lose and give Jones chance 97 than to actually move in a different direction for the better.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 15, 2024, 11:23:42 AMWhat are the TTT figures for each QB?

TD- 3.09 seconds
DJ- 2.85
TT- 2.83

I personally don't put much stock in TTT as things scrambling/moving around the pocket, receivers being covered, and how deep are the average air yards in the scheme.  In other words, it might indicate a QB holding the ball too long, but it just as easily doesn't.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 15, 2024, 11:26:42 AMIt's not just 2023, Jones has not produced in 5 years, no other team or fan base would settle for the lack of production from one position for this long. It's wild, if Jones played any other position we would have asked for him to be replaced 3 years ago. But because there's this strange attachment to him people would rather us continue to lose and give Jones chance 97 than to actually move in a different direction for the better.

Jones produced in both his rookie season and 2022.  If DJ hadn't produced in 2022 the Giants would have made it to the divisional round of the playoffs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE