News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should I change the oil?

Started by squibber, February 16, 2024, 05:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

Me and my wife are retired. We bought for her a new 2023 Honda CRV last April. The CRV has only 2600 miles on it. The maintenance schedule says change the oil every 7,500 miles or six months.

Today the Maintenance A light went on indicating an oil change is needed. Given the age of the oil at 10 months and the mileage of 2600 I am not sure of the best plan.

Change the oil at one year? Change the oil at 5000 miles instead of 7500? Or ask the dealer and probably be misguided.

Ed Vette

Quote from: squibber on February 16, 2024, 05:22:44 PMMe and my wife are retired. We bought for her a new 2023 Honda CRV last April. The CRV has only 2600 miles on it. The maintenance schedule says change the oil every 7,500 miles or six months.

Today the Maintenance A light went on indicating an oil change is needed. Given the age of the oil at 10 months and the mileage of 2600 I am not sure of the best plan.

Change the oil at one year? Change the oil at 5000 miles instead of 7500? Or ask the dealer and probably be misguided.
I have a corvette with 5800 miles that's 30 years old. I use Mobil one full synthetic. I change it once a year but I haven't driven it this past season so it will be two years. Even when I drove it often, I still did it once a year because of the low miles.

Do you own it or lease it?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

squibber

I own it.

Since it's slow here I thought I would ask. Not an exciting question.

ozzie

I'm not a "Car Guy" as far as working on them myself, but if the oil light came on, I would have the oil changed.
At the very least, changing the oil won't do any harm.
Then at least you know you did as required and if the problem persists you can take it somewhere and have it checked into.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Definitely change the oil...and only use full synthetic. With so few miles, but sitting for a long period, it's best to change the oil. I believe that oil degrades over time, even when not subjected to constant use (I could be wrong, but that's my belief)

I had the same issue when I bought my last Harley Fatboy. It was a man's dream bike with a lot of special additions (Vance pipes, pullback drag bars, special paint, special seat, 2500 dollars worth of optional chrome, but he died shortly after getting it. His wife wouldn't sell it because it was so special to him. But after several years sitting in the garage, she finally decided to let it go (she obviously did not know the current going price of a new Fatboy, so I got it for 6k. First thing I did was change the oil in the engine, transmission, and primary chain case. Didn't have to I guess, but mechanics in the know told me it was a good idea if I planned on keeping it. Gaskets tend to dry out if an engine sits for long periods, so start it with the original oil to re-lubricate the gaskets, then discard old oil and put in new
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: