News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

@Patricia_Traina Locked On Giants Podcast

Started by Ed Vette, February 20, 2024, 08:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Some solid topics Pat explored on this edition.

Round One Direction.

Saquon, to tag or not to tag. That is the question.

Make or Break Schoen & Daboll.

She gave the plus's and minus's but definitely settled in on Saquon. She said, let him test the market but agree to come back so they have the opportunity to match it. He's stated that he wants to be a Giant for life.

I agree not to tag him because they need the Cap Space for Veteran Olinemen. It's basically a non exclusive arrangement. Realistically, any Free Agent can come back to their former team and give them the opportunity to match it. In this case it's so obvious, that the offering team would be compelled to make him an offer the Giants can't afford to match or simply stay away. The later cuts down on his prospective suitors and hurts his marketability. In my opinion, he hurt himself by making that statement of staying a Giant. Second critical mistake in two years. My choice would be to negotiate with Saquon and make your best effort to sign him to a three year deal with a couple of voided years. She mentioned this as an option.

As for Draft Strategy, I am all for getting a Guard and Swing Tackle in FA and solidifying that Line with proven commodities. I believe she settled in with picking a WR and getting that QB later on to develop. But left open trade down or trade ups from round two. We have discussed this a lot and with all possible scenarios. It's going to come down to how things go before the fifth pick. There are a lot of QB needy teams and I agree that it's not desirable to pick a JJ, Nix or Penix at six, but you risk losing them all by not doing so. Or at least just trade down a couple of slots. Tough to do because you can outsmart yourself and lose your guy.

As for Schoen and Daboll, I agree that if they draft a QB to develop, at least Schoen gets a stay of execution. Daboll would have to implode to lose his job. If they stick with DJ, it's Russian Roulette with one bullet with his initials on it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

The risk of not drafting a QB and sticking with Jones in hopes that he can elevate his game with better pieces around him and stay healthy is much greater drafting a highly rated QB this year.

Philosophers

By development, I hope she means having a QB sit for one season then start the next season.  We can't select a QB in the 4th round as a true developmental QB when we have so many needs.  Either commit in pick 6 or 2nd round to a QB or pass on it and fill other positional needs.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 20, 2024, 10:14:10 AMBy development, I hope she means having a QB sit for one season then start the next season.  We can't select a QB in the 4th round as a true developmental QB when we have so many needs.  Either commit in pick 6 or 2nd round to a QB or pass on it and fill other positional needs.
That's what Pat meant. Not a project.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

I know everyone gets so fascinated with draft picks and their value. In my opinion a draft picks value is dependent on the team picking, San Fran used a ton of picks to get Lance and it really didn't hurt them as a team, The Rams went all in trading every pick ever to win a Super Bowl and are already rebuilding quickly all in the span of DJs tenure with the Giants. So if a Qb is there at 6 that they like take him, If he pans out no one will ever care where he was picked, and they will complain no matter where he was picked if he fails. So take your guy.