News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants Can free up to 65 million

Started by Jclayton92, February 26, 2024, 03:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

I know everyone wants the Giants to fix the offensive line, but be prepared for some restructures and cuts in order to do so.

Andrew Thomas and Dexter Lawrence restructures get us an additional 25 million.

Darren Waller PreJune(6.5) post(11 millon)

Glowinski 5 million

That gets us 65 or 71 million in cap space, coupled with our draft picks we could really fix this team if done correctly

londonblue

I think Glowinski release and probably AT restructure happen for FA. I do not necessarily see Dex restructure this year unless the $ is necessary to keep McK/ land a key top tier FA target. I think Waller gets another season but we will see.

Our problem is not going to be $ but convincing players to come here with our QB and HC both lacking believers across the wider NFL. Schoen will have his work cut out and whilst money talks he will also need a persuasive strategy/patter.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

uconnjack8

Making space by restructuring is stealing from the future. 

MightyGiants

These sorts of Tweets drive me crazy.  Restructure Dex or AT ONLY borrows cap money from 2025; it doesn't actually free up any additional cap space; it just creates it by borrowing from the future.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Glowinski and Waller are easy slices. As it shows, one is mediocre and one is medical.

Waller was the rave of camp..then decamped most of the year..as his recent history showed again. :computer:

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 26, 2024, 04:42:33 PMThese sorts of Tweets drive me crazy.  Restructure Dex or AT ONLY borrows cap money from 2025; it doesn't actually free up any additional cap space; it just creates it by borrowing from the future.
Yeah but that's how teams do it now, there's always a restructure or a year to be added somewhere.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

I'm all for cutting Glowinski and Waller but not a fan of doing any major restructures for the purposes of going "all in" this offseason.

This team is not close to competing. And one off-season isn't going to change that. Let's stick with the plan of acquiring draft capital, developing talent, and building a strong core.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 26, 2024, 04:46:26 PMYeah but that's how teams do it now, there's always a restructure or a year to be added somewhere.

Not disagreeing that teams operate that way. 

There is a difference between a team in contention doing that to maintain a core (Miami or Dallas for example) and a team that is at the bottom floor trying to work it's way up IMO.

Ita one of those things that makes the coaching and GM revolving doors even worse.  Guys that know its win or you're out are not going to put as much emphasis on the long term outlook when making decisions. 

madbadger

Fixing the offensive line in free agency is not going to happen. As it stands today there is a scarcity of good offensive linemen league wide. It's so bad that one of the most talented teams in the league was forced to start Jon Feliciano who was a train wreck in NY. Every team with more cap space than us needs help along the line and there are only a small handful of decent offensive line free agents. All will be grossly overpaid. We made that mistake once with Nate Solder. I have no desire to replay that movie. If we're going to fix the line it's going to be through the draft.

Jclayton92

Quote from: madbadger on February 26, 2024, 06:57:42 PMFixing the offensive line in free agency is not going to happen. As it stands today there is a scarcity of good offensive linemen league wide. It's so bad that one of the most talented teams in the league was forced to start Jon Feliciano who was a train wreck in NY. Every team with more cap space than us needs help along the line and there are only a small handful of decent offensive line free agents. All will be grossly overpaid. We made that mistake once with Nate Solder. I have no desire to replay that movie. If we're going to fix the line it's going to be through the draft.
Tackle and Guard have an abundance of players in Free Agency, 12+ at each position. When can get plug and play serviceable linemen without breaking the bank especially at Guard which I where we need the infusion of talent.

nb587

If Waller is cut, then TE becomes a critical draft need.  If they bring him back, we still need a TE but a lower need.  I would not add another critical need.  If they do cut Waller, it suggests to me that we are totally rebuilding and will look to fill holes at OL, WR, RB, DL and CB, maybe safety if McKinney is not signed and TE.  To me, that would mean fill as many holes as you can and definitely no trade down for QB. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on February 26, 2024, 07:24:05 PMIf Waller is cut, then TE becomes a critical draft need.  If they bring him back, we still need a TE but a lower need.  I would not add another critical need.  If they do cut Waller, it suggests to me that we are totally rebuilding and will look to fill holes at OL, WR, RB, DL and CB, maybe safety if McKinney is not signed and TE.  To me, that would mean fill as many holes as you can and definitely no trade down for QB. 
luckily guard, guard, rb, interior dline, safety, and TE are among the cheapest positions to acquire via FA.

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 26, 2024, 07:12:49 PMTackle and Guard have an abundance of players in Free Agency, 12+ at each position. When can get plug and play serviceable linemen without breaking the bank especially at Guard which I where we need the infusion of talent.

Quantity does not equal quality. There's probably five guards and five tackles that are good players and rest are jags. Those 10 players are going to have suitors with more money to spend. That's why I brought up Solder. Same thing happened the year he hit free agency. I have zero desire to grossly overpay for some dude that barely constitutes an upgrade.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 26, 2024, 06:47:20 PMI'm all for cutting Glowinski and Waller but not a fan of doing any major restructures for the purposes of going "all in" this offseason.

This team is not close to competing. And one off-season isn't going to change that. Let's stick with the plan of acquiring draft capital, developing talent, and building a strong core.
This team is a year removed from the divisional playoff game. A coupel bounces this season and we have 8-9 wins.

If we can just get a REAL QB in the draft a lot of our problems are solved, we are not as far off as you think... just far off at the most important position in the gmae
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.