News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Moving forward. How do you feel about our CBs?

Started by brownelvis54, March 01, 2024, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Looking at the age of our secondary, it's sad, yet impressive that these young men go out there every game doing what the coach ask them to. I think its safe to say Banks is going to be a huge play maker for us in the up in coming years (at least that's the hope), but what about the rest of the guys? What role do you see them having on our team? Can you see any converting to FS/SS? I thought Shane Bowen implements a lot of safeties in his schemes.

What do you think of each of these young men and what role do you see them contributing with the new defense?

Do you expect all of them to be on the roster at the beginning of 2024?

Deonte Banks 22 years old

Cor'Dale Flott 22 years old

Tre Hawkins III  22 years old

Darnay Holmes 25 years old

Nick McCloud  25 years old

Stantley Thomas-Oliver 25 years old (never heard of his ass) International player

Aaron Robinson  26 years old
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

I think Banks is the real deal. He has some work to do on certain aspects of his game if he wants to become a top flight, pro bowl caliber corner, but I definitely think he has a legit chance to be that. His pure talent is undeniable.

Flott showed some nice signs down the stretch of the season, and I think he can be a solid slot corner for the next several years.

Holmes is mediocre but is probably decent enough to have a roster spot.

I like McCloud. I think he's an underrated player.

Not sure yet on Hawkins.

Overall I think it's an intriguing but still very much uncertain group. We need to continue to add talent, and if we see value in the draft at this position after the first round we should not hesitate as it's a premium position, but I wouldn't list it as one of the five biggest need areas on this team.

UKGiantsFan

Banks is the only one guaranteed a starting role. Major  improvement is needed opposite him and a veteran  likely to be bought in during FA or we have to draft over what we have

Flott - can't get off blocks or tackle. Bowen expects his DB's to help in run defense. I don't  mind him in coverage but if he isn't  the nickel back, is he even going to make the team? He isnt physical enough to make it on ST's

Hawkins III - Overmatched when thrown in as a rookie and tackling was pitiful given his size.  Could rebound but shouldn't bet on it

Holmes - flag happy UFA. Can't see him being back but he's the one nickel who tackles well and can blitz too

McCloud - solid role player but how much are you tendering him as an RFA when he's a core ST guy but not someone we will play at perimeter CB if we have someone better? Right of first refusal tender is likely to be higher than $2.6m. He's not worth anything near that so either he signs for fairly close to the minimum before the league year starts or he'll be a UFA.

Forget the other two.

Ed Vette

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 04, 2024, 02:52:18 AMBanks is the only one guaranteed a starting role. Major  improvement is needed opposite him and a veteran  likely to be bought in during FA or we have to draft over what we have

Flott - can't get off blocks or tackle. Bowen expects his DB's to help in run defense. I don't  mind him in coverage but if he isn't  the nickel back, is he even going to make the team? He isnt physical enough to make it on ST's

Hawkins III - Overmatched when thrown in as a rookie and tackling was pitiful given his size.  Could rebound but shouldn't bet on it

Holmes - flag happy UFA. Can't see him being back but he's the one nickel who tackles well and can blitz too

McCloud - solid role player but how much are you tendering him as an RFA when he's a core ST guy but not someone we will play at perimeter CB if we have someone better? Right of first refusal tender is likely to be higher than $2.6m. He's not worth anything near that so either he signs for fairly close to the minimum before the league year starts or he'll be a UFA.

Forget the other two.
It's a serious situation if they don't re-sign Adoree. I do like Nick McCloud and he may not be the best in coverage as a Nickle or Slot but he's a better option in Run Support. I like his versatility. Maybe Hawkins has some upside. Still if they lose Adoree and McKinney, and they don't bring in a suitable FA, it's a recipe for disaster.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 04, 2024, 02:52:18 AMBanks is the only one guaranteed a starting role. Major  improvement is needed opposite him and a veteran  likely to be bought in during FA or we have to draft over what we have

Forget the other two.

Nick McCloud's PFF grade last year was 74.8.   Breaking it down, he was a below average run defender, but an above average coverage corner.   I wouldn't have a problem tendering him (or better yet signing him to a 3 year deal).  I don't think you would want him penciled in as a starter, but I think he is an excellent backup and he isn't going to be a liability (at least in coverage) if he is pressed into starting duty.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

expatriot

Lots of needs all over the place but I can see them drafting a corner in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jclayton92

Look out for Kenny Moore the Colts nickel that is a FA. Should be cheap and excels in Run defense. Also I genuinely hope they move Arob back to Nickel or Safety and let McCloud be the 3rd boundary.