News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Done with Daniel Jones?

Started by Jclayton92, March 05, 2024, 08:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: files58 on March 06, 2024, 02:45:24 PMMy son is a BU student at the Watson School of Engineering.

In a related subject to your post, being a devoted Grateful Dead fan two shows stand out 5/2/70 which took place on campus(there's a wall plaque in a dining hall), and 11/6/77 which was at Broome County Coliseum. My son tells me that one of the bars in town serves a Jerry Garcia cocktail, Deep Eddy Peach Vodka, Razzmatazz, and Triple Sec.

The Grateful Dead's May 2nd 1970 concert at SUNY Binghamton was an important concert in the band's evolution.

"The Grateful Dead's performance at SUNY Binghamton on May 2, 1970 is the stuff of legend, even for a band with a lengthy history of such events. Not only was the show seven hours of music, not only was it all broadcast on FM radio several weeks later and not only was it widely bootlegged and finally released as Dick's Picks Vol. 8. The show epitomized the expansion of the Grateful Dead from a cultish phenomenon in San Francisco and Manhattan to an extended community throughout the United States and beyond. I would argue that no show did more than Binghamton to expand the band's legend, since it was broadcast, circulated on bootleg lps, circulated on tape and then finally released, so Heads of every era absorbed it as their own."

https://hooterollin.blogspot.com/search/label/Binghamton

https://www.amazon.com/Dicks-Picks-Vol-College-Binghamton/dp/B00004TYB6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV_O-VgxmPU

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 06, 2024, 03:16:51 PMRich, is Eisen analyzing the protentional transaction, or is he simply reporting information, which is his 40-year career gives him access to?  If it's the former, I'll take Eisen over Reddick any day. 

Reddick seems to be reporting the same news, but adding a different nuance than Eisen. I suspect said nuance is based on comments he made last season regarding DJ:

"Giants did exactly what they should have done with Jones and Barkley.

Daboll/Kafka combination going to be even better in year two, and they will take DJ to another level with improved interior OL play & more weapons, as Kafka becomes one of/THE hottest HC candidates for 2024

The amount of learning, adapting, adjusting, and continuous improving that Kafka did both personally and as far as utilizing what he had to work with as a play caller in '22 was exceptional. One of THE best assistant coaching jobs of the year."

If the Giants really are moving on from DJ (and Barkley), Riddick was either wrong then, or he's wrong now.  Regardless, I think it's fair to equate his current analysis to last years projections.

From drafting Haskins, hiring Nick Saban, calling AT a flop, and resigning DJ and Barkley, he's simply been dead wrong as it relates to our Giants.  In fact, i struggle to recall a time he's been right, at least as it relates to the Giants. 

If the Giants are moving on from DJ it's injury driven.   Seeing how the Giants didn't share the information on DJ's neck injury , how do you justify claiming he is wrong.  On top of that, no one , not even you, predicted the utter meltdown of the O-line which was clearly the problem that led to all the others.   You seem eager to declare Reddick "wrong".  Likely because you didn't like what he had to say.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

Louis is absolutely right. His comments are among the most intelligent I have heard about Daniel Jones and the Giants.
The KING is in the building

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: TDToomer on March 06, 2024, 02:51:08 PMBest threadjack ever. I propose we discuss our favorite Italian foods in the next unnecessary Jones thread.
=))
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 03:42:24 PMIf the Giants are moving on from DJ it's injury driven.  Seeing how the Giants didn't share the information on DJ's neck injury , how do you justify claiming he is wrong.  On top of that, no one , not even you, predicted the utter meltdown of the O-line which was clearly the problem that led to all the others.  You seem eager to declare Reddick "wrong".  Likely because you didn't like what he had to say.

You honestly believe DJs performance over the last 60 games has nothing to do with this potential decision? Didn't you just post multiple reports stating DJ was healing well and will be ready for the season?  If true, this potential move appears to be predicated on performance, vice medical concerns, although I'm sure that does factor into the decisions.  I understand your eagerness to support his Narrative as it aligns with your own.  As I highlighted, Reddick has an impressive track record for being wrong, as it relates to the Giants.  You can't deny that, Rich.

You're also completely wrong regarding my predictions, which you can check. I was one of the few posters who believed this was a sub 500 team, predicting 7 wins. I thought fans were overhyping the coaching, Wallers presence and the perceived OL improvements. When posters were hyping Glow, I was calling him a below average guard. IMO, last years performance was completely predictable.

I also never declared Reddick completely wrong; in fact, go back to the other thread where I explicitly stated there was some validity to his rant.  However, the Giants do not bare sole responsibility for their current paradigm. The players performance should also be part of the calculus, to which can only be classified as below average over the last 60 games, say for one good season.  I'm not going to criticize the Giants because of the following:

1. I don't know what roll Mara played in signing DJ. I differed greatly from you in that you were elated the 'Giants signed their franchise QB to a long-term deal.'  I thought it was a poor decision, but understood the situation and appreciated the 2-year out.  If Mara was involved, I thought our GM perfectly threaded the needle.

2.  I don't know if the story is true.

Ed Vette

Let's see where Penix gets drafted. If two ACL's were an issue, then he shouldn't be drafted at all. Which completely negates the DJ narrative that the Giants are moving on from Jones because of injury issues.

The BS is nothing more than a few fans trying to get save face.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

files58

Quote from: Sem on March 06, 2024, 03:25:30 PMThe Grateful Dead's May 2nd 1970 concert at SUNY Binghamton was an important concert in the band's evolution.

"The Grateful Dead's performance at SUNY Binghamton on May 2, 1970 is the stuff of legend, even for a band with a lengthy history of such events. Not only was the show seven hours of music, not only was it all broadcast on FM radio several weeks later and not only was it widely bootlegged and finally released as Dick's Picks Vol. 8. The show epitomized the expansion of the Grateful Dead from a cultish phenomenon in San Francisco and Manhattan to an extended community throughout the United States and beyond. I would argue that no show did more than Binghamton to expand the band's legend, since it was broadcast, circulated on bootleg lps, circulated on tape and then finally released, so Heads of every era absorbed it as their own."

https://hooterollin.blogspot.com/search/label/Binghamton

https://www.amazon.com/Dicks-Picks-Vol-College-Binghamton/dp/B00004TYB6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV_O-VgxmPU

Here's 11/6/77. When I say I'm a fan I've been to 150+ shows, and now see the main cover bands for lack of a better term. Dead & Co., Phil & Friends, Joe Russo's Almost Dead, DSO, and Stella Blues Band(NYC Metro), and some others. My first show 9/2/78 with about 40,000 of my closest friends in Giants Stadium.

https://archive.org/details/gd77-11-06.sbd.nawrocki.283.sbeok.shnf

John Mayer asked Bobby how would I know the Dead. Bobby told him listen to 1977, and Spring of 90'. They were blazing hot in 77', and 90' was a very good year.

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 06, 2024, 05:39:11 PMLet's see where Penix gets drafted. If two ACL's were an issue, then he shouldn't be drafted at all. Which completely negates the DJ narrative that the Giants are moving on from Jones because of injury issues.

Concerning Penix, is he your number 1 prospect overall, or your #1 prospect the Giants could reasonably draft?  I have serious concerns about him as a prospect.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TDToomer on March 06, 2024, 02:51:08 PMBest threadjack ever. I propose we discuss our favorite Italian foods in the next unnecessary Jones thread.

Sounds good to me.  There was a political board I used to go to and sometimes they would post some vacuous entertainment world articles, so I would post one of my favorite recipes, like no knead bread, hot water cornbread, no churn ice cream, and the like.  They were always well received.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 06, 2024, 05:39:11 PMLet's see where Penix gets drafted. If two ACL's were an issue, then he shouldn't be drafted at all. Which completely negates the DJ narrative that the Giants are moving on from Jones because of injury issues.

Completely agree. Some are using Jones' injuries as a convenient escape hatch from years of claiming (or strongly implying) that he's actually this really good QB who simply never had enough help. Getting outplayed by backups with the same supporting cast is lost in the shuffle for this group. They either mentally block that reality out, or they make the claim the O line suddenly played well for others but not for him.

Jones' demise is 100% about the injuries, and nothing else. The Giants will knowingly abandon a highly talented player who was destined for greatness solely because of the injuries. That is the new narrative.

files58

The neck injuries are the concern for me. One more bad hit, fall, twist and he could be forced to retire, or incur a life altering injury.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 06, 2024, 04:25:10 PMYou honestly believe DJs performance over the last 60 games has nothing to do with this potential decision?

You mentioned "60 games".  Why pick that number?  How many of those games were played prior to Schoen and Daboll signing him to the big-ticket deal?   The reality is you have 4 complete games (one with a record comeback) and 2 partial games where, in the span of those five-plus games, he was sacked 30 times.  That is the point Reddick is making.  It's pretty fickle to take that small sample size under terrible conditions and declare one was right all along that DJ was no good.  Then again, as you bring up later in the post, you have an eye toward wanting to say you were right and others were wrong, so that could skew your judgment just a smidge.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on March 06, 2024, 05:54:13 PMConcerning Penix, is he your number 1 prospect overall, or your #1 prospect the Giants could reasonably draft?  I have serious concerns about him as a prospect.
No and I don't know. 

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Quote from: files58 on March 06, 2024, 05:50:44 PM2

Here's 11/6/77. When I say I'm a fan I've been to 150+ shows, and now see the main cover bands for lack of a better term. Dead & Co., Phil & Friends, Joe Russo's Almost Dead, DSO, and Stella Blues Band(NYC Metro), and some others. My first show 9/2/78 with about 40,000 of my closest friends in Giants Stadium.

https://archive.org/details/gd77-11-06.sbd.nawrocki.283.sbeok.shnf

John Mayer asked Bobby how would I know the Dead. Bobby told him listen to 1977, and Spring of 90'. They were blazing hot in 77', and 90' was a very good year.

That's awesome!! I never saw them in concert, nor would I consider myself a big Grateful Dead fan. I only have one of their albums - "Wake of the Flood," which I do really like. Also a few years ago @weeze burned me a copy of "American Beauty." Aside from those two albums I'm only familiar with their hits. Though I have known about the significance of the 1970 Binghamton concert, in the grand scheme of things, because I don't live totally under a rock.  =))

Jclayton92

https://youtu.be/Lpa9_QDf068?si=p5Gj1j0zDyj8QF6V

Think they have a good conversation from both sides of the opinion.