News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Louis Reddick with a reality check for NYG

Started by MightyGiants, March 06, 2024, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Are you interrupting this as legitimacy to the reporting the Giants are done with DJ?  He seems to be using said reporting as the basis for his narrative.  I would forgo expressing such views until the Giants have made thier intentions clear; specifically, if they draft a QB, his rant has legitimacy.

uconnjack8

Not sure I saw that as a "treatment" of Daniel Jones commentary as much as it is just ripping the FO for putting out an awful team.

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 12:04:31 PMhttps://x.com/GetUpESPN/status/1765380148361130411?s=20

Mighty,

He makes some great points.

He first nails it with Brian Daboll.

Last year he is coach of the year, the next year he has all of this turmoil, people wanting to leave, because he didn't have success the following year.

Then DJ played very well in 2022, but sustains multiple injuries to himself and his offensive line in 2023. Opening 5 games were an absolute buzzsaw, and the majority of fans and possibly ownership want him gone.

This has the making of a knee jerk reaction, and could have the makings of what the Jets did by drafting Zack Wilson, he wasn't the answer either.

I fear the Giants are headed in a similar path.

files58

There's some sour grapes here. He interviewed for the GM job and didn't get it. 2 GM's, 3 coaches, the one constant is Mara. Mara opens his mouth, says we did everything to screw him up, and then goes ahead and "compensates" Jones with the contract. I've said this before, and firmly believe that the contract was Mara's doing, the two year out was a compromise. Mara lives in a much different world than we fans. No matter the W-L record the team makes ooodles of $$$$. A couple of months ago I compiled a W-L record since 65' the year I became a fan. They are about 50 games under .500 since then. An historically losing franchise. The one constant, the Maras. Take a moment to think about that. He can throw all the chairs he wants, these facts remain. TC a terrific coach, and a better man, avoided shaking Mara's hand at his exit speech. What does that tell you? 

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on March 06, 2024, 01:33:33 PMThere's some sour grapes here. He interviewed for the GM job and didn't get it. 2 GM's, 3 coaches, the one constant is Mara. Mara opens his mouth, says we did everything to screw him up, and then goes ahead and "compensates" Jones with the contract. I've said this before, and firmly believe that the contract was Mara's doing, the two year out was a compromise. Mara lives in a much different world than we fans. No matter the W-L record the team makes ooodles of $$$$. A couple of months ago I compiled a W-L record since 65' the year I became a fan. They are about 50 games under .500 since then. An historically losing franchise. The one constant, the Maras. Take a moment to think about that. He can throw all the chairs he wants, these facts remain. TC a terrific coach, and a better man, avoided shaking Mara's hand at his exit speech. What does that tell you? 

"Sour grapes", or is he wondering why he lost out to David Gettleman?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 01:38:10 PM"Sour grapes", or is he wondering why he lost out to David Gettleman?

To be fair, we would probably be a perineal loser under Riddick's leadership too.  Didn't he criticize DG for drafting Jones over Haskins?  Regardless, he's an effective talking-head, but there's probably a reason he's failed to secure a GM job after interest from the Giants.

I do believe there's some validity to his comments; however, I think it's also fair to conclude that signing DJ was also a knee-jerk reaction to a single good (not great) season.  I also concur with @files58; I truly believe Mara was either implicitly or explicitly involved and the 2-year out was the compromise.

files58

Jones at this time is a physically compromised QB, albeit extremely well compensated. His QB shortcomings have been discussed here ad nauseum. No QB, or player is perfect. It's the injuries, ankle, knee, but most important the twice injured neck that gives me the most pause. The next one(hope it doesn't happen) could be life altering. That fact hasto give Jones pause. Human nature dictates so. That's why we need a new QB.

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on March 06, 2024, 01:58:43 PMJones at this time is a physically compromised QB, albeit extremely well compensated. His QB shortcomings have been discussed here ad nauseum. No QB, or player is perfect. It's the injuries, ankle, knee, but most important the twice injured neck that gives me the most pause. The next one(hope it doesn't happen) could be life altering. That fact hasto give Jones pause. Human nature dictates so. That's why we need a new QB.

A lot was made about the two years and our "escape" clause in DJs.  Critics assume that it was put there because the Giants' brass was unsure of DJ's talent.   It's equally plausible that it was put there because there were concerns about DJ's neck that were not shared with the general public.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Those who can, do. Those that can't do something else. Joe Schoen is a young GM and I expected him to make some mistakes, but his story ain't over yet. Riddick's is. He's old news.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 06, 2024, 02:08:39 PMThose who can, do. Those that can't do something else. Joe Schoen is a young GM and I expected him to make some mistakes, but his story ain't over yet. Riddick's is. He's old news.

Not everyone can meet the Adam Schein standards  ;)

When I listen to opinions, I don't seek out ones that I agree with; Rather, I seek out those being voiced by people who are qualified to voice them.   Adam Schein has zero qualifications and seems to know less about football than many people here.   On the other hand, former NFL safety Louis Reddick has the credentials.

As a player:
San Francisco 49ers (1991)*
Sacramento Surge (1992)
Atlanta Falcons (1992)
Cleveland Browns (1993–1995)
Atlanta Falcons (1996)
Oakland Raiders (1998)
Orlando Rage (2001)
 * Offseason and/or practice squad member only

As an executive:
Washington Redskins (2001–2004)
Pro scout
Washington Redskins (2005–2007)
Director of pro personnel
Philadelphia Eagles (2008)
Pro scout
Philadelphia Eagles (2009)
Assistant director of pro personnel
Philadelphia Eagles (2010–2013)

Riddick later joined ESPN as an analyst.[5] In 2020, he became an announcer for ESPN's coverage of Monday Night Football.[6]

In December 2020, various sources reported Riddick was being interviewed for the GM vacancies for both the Houston Texans and Detroit Lions.[7]

In February 2022, the Pittsburgh Steelers announced that they would be interviewing Riddick for their GM vacancy.[8]
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

At the sight of Adam Schein I immediately change the channel. Unfortunately sometimes I hear a word or two before that happens.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 06, 2024, 02:14:46 PMNot everyone can meet the Adam Schein standards  ;)

When I listen to opinions, I don't seek out ones that I agree with; Rather, I seek out those being voiced by people who are qualified to voice them.  Adam Schein has zero qualifications and seems to know less about football than many people here.  On the other hand, former NFL safety Louis Reddick has the credentials.

As a player:
San Francisco 49ers (1991)*
Sacramento Surge (1992)
Atlanta Falcons (1992)
Cleveland Browns (1993–1995)
Atlanta Falcons (1996)
Oakland Raiders (1998)
Orlando Rage (2001)
 * Offseason and/or practice squad member only

As an executive:
Washington Redskins (2001–2004)
Pro scout
Washington Redskins (2005–2007)
Philadelphia Eagles (2008)
Pro scout
Philadelphia Eagles (2009)
Assistant director of pro personnel
Philadelphia Eagles (2010–2013)

Riddick later joined ESPN as an analyst.[5] In 2020, he became an announcer for ESPN's coverage of Monday Night Football.[6]

In December 2020, various sources reported Riddick was being interviewed for the GM vacancies for both the Houston Texans and Detroit Lions.[7]

In February 2022, the Pittsburgh Steelers announced that they would be interviewing Riddick for their GM vacancy.[8]
And when I want your opinion, I'll ask for it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Louis is absolutely right. His comments are among the most intelligent I have heard about Daniel Jones and the Giants.
The KING is in the building

londonblue

The problem is if you believe you made a mistake you have to change course, which creates more instability in the short term.

The actions and inactions so far suggest Schoen believes this is a full rebuild not a tinker and retool. That tends to suggest he thinks his DJ decision was wrong. Free Agency might put a slightly different perspective on things but for now I am thinking rebuild.

If we can get a QB we will. If we cannot we will try to give a future QB protection and weapons whilst fielding a D that can stop us being regularly embarrassed if the O sucks.

Today we are one of the 2-3 least talented rosters in the NFL. Even a really solid FA and inspired draft will not make us contenders. The Jones decision cost us a year and reduced our cap resources. Unfortunate and of course it will slow things down but it is done and now Schoen has to be clear-eyed with his priorities and decisions. So far, so sensible with Saquon and McKinney.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.