News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Louis Reddick with a reality check for NYG

Started by MightyGiants, March 06, 2024, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: londonblue on March 06, 2024, 05:33:23 PMThe problem is if you believe you made a mistake you have to change course, which creates more instability in the short term.

The actions and inactions so far suggest Schoen believes this is a full rebuild not a tinker and retool. That tends to suggest he thinks his DJ decision was wrong. Free Agency might put a slightly different perspective on things but for now I am thinking rebuild.

If we can get a QB we will. If we cannot we will try to give a future QB protection and weapons whilst fielding a D that can stop us being regularly embarrassed if the O sucks.

Today we are one of the 2-3 least talented rosters in the NFL. Even a really solid FA and inspired draft will not make us contenders. The Jones decision cost us a year and reduced our cap resources. Unfortunate and of course it will slow things down but it is done and now Schoen has to be clear-eyed with his priorities and decisions. So far, so sensible with Saquon and McKinney.

Your post reminded me of the sunk cost fallacy.  If the Giants do draft a QB and allow McKinney and Barkley to walk via FA, then I don't know whatever interruption there is, other than the one you outlined.  As a fan who's been frustrated by the Giants current strategy of trotting out the same core group of players and expecting a different result, appreciate their willingness to truly move this roster in a different direction.

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 06, 2024, 03:56:06 PMLouis is absolutely right. His comments are among the most intelligent I have heard about Daniel Jones and the Giants.
Thank you for posting the entire segment for context.

Not criticizing you but this douche bag with a transparent vendetta conveniently disregards Jones's entire body of work. Can you imagine if he was the Giants GM and having to deal with five years of Haskins?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 06, 2024, 03:56:06 PMLouis is absolutely right. His comments are among the most intelligent I have heard about Daniel Jones and the Giants.

Rob,

I agree, although I would take it further than Mr Reddick.  There are two factors at work here.  There is the play on the field.  It's beyond silly to declare in 6 games (only four were complete, and one of them was a record-breaking comeback) with 30 sacks that, suddenly, what Schoen and Daboll saw the entire last season (plus film study and notes from prior seasons when they were "screwing him up) was negated.

The injury issue is another factor, and that's where it gets tricky.  None of us outside of 1925 Giants Way have any idea what is going on with DJ's neck.   From the outside, looking in, the neck seems like a major concern, as does his overall injury history.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Sorry, not buying this.

The implication that Jones has basically been short changed because he only played six games last year makes zero sense. Part of the reason they may want to move on is precisely because of DJ's unavailability. And not once in this two minute segment did he say anything about DJ's skills (or his continued lack of processing ability in year 5). Pretty telling Riddick can't muster an actual compliment for Jones and just runs wild with Mara's comment about his golden boy.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on March 06, 2024, 05:33:23 PMThe problem is if you believe you made a mistake you have to change course, which creates more instability in the short term.

The actions and inactions so far suggest Schoen believes this is a full rebuild not a tinker and retool. That tends to suggest he thinks his DJ decision was wrong. Free Agency might put a slightly different perspective on things but for now I am thinking rebuild.

If we can get a QB we will. If we cannot we will try to give a future QB protection and weapons whilst fielding a D that can stop us being regularly embarrassed if the O sucks.

Today we are one of the 2-3 least talented rosters in the NFL. Even a really solid FA and inspired draft will not make us contenders. The Jones decision cost us a year and reduced our cap resources. Unfortunate and of course it will slow things down but it is done and now Schoen has to be clear-eyed with his priorities and decisions. So far, so sensible with Saquon and McKinney.

I think there are two levels to look at this.  If the Giants medical staff signed off and Daniel Jones' neck issue only to see him suffer another neck injury on what was pretty much a routine tackle, then you point is well made.  You acknowledge you messed up and move on.

If, on the other hand, as many fans and reporters suggest that the small sample size proved DJ's ultimate talent level, then Reddick is spot on correct.  While refusing to acknowledge a mistake can be detrimental as a manager, so too can managing an impulsive manner where your views jump from one extreme to another with little to justify the change.

Oddly enough, in competitive management situations, refusing to acknowledge a mistake and failing to stand by your decisions can both be detrimental, and even the middle ground can be problematic.

You mentioned Schoen's thoughts on a full rebuild.  If Schoen felt he was in a full rebuild, he most definitely should have traded away Barkley and McKenny before the trade deadline (rather than have them leave without compensation, which appears to be their current path).   Those trades would have generated badly needed draft capital and likely ensured a season record, which would have assured they were in a position to grab a new QB without having to spend additional draft capital.   Instead, the Giants went half-measures.  They traded away Leo while leaving the other two and worked their way down the draft board to position 6 and didn't get the extra picks needed to properly rebuild this team.  I think the Commanders are in a better position moving forward because they went full rebuild mode rather than taking half-measures.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

His entire rant is ridiculous and it's based off of a comment made by Eisen that went viral. One trying to stay relevant and the other looking to be on the cutting edge of information.

Where did Eisen get his information? Not from the Giants Coaches that's for sure. It likely came from other teams who are basing it off of speculation based on offers, requests and feeling out by Schoen and the depth of interviews. Eisen knows he has a 50-50 chance of being right and since Jones is starting the season anyway, anything can change. The QB Fairy can sprinkle fairy dust on Jones's head and he can have a complete epiphany and turnaround or the safer bet is they just simply move on.

Reddick on the other hand is a has been looking for attention. Even if Eisen is right, throw away the Dallas game and there's plenty of evidence that Jones wasn't able to get to the next level when it was put upon him. Several of those sacks were on him and even a Rookie Bo Nix who will be a boom or bust player, would have completed passes and moved the ball.

Anyone can surmise that coming off an ACL, that Jones will be restricted to the pocket and his running game will be put on hold for the 2024 season. He can't thrown on the run and since he can't process at this level he will be a sitting duck.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin