News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Waller Undecided about Retirement

Started by EDjohnst1981, March 07, 2024, 08:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Waller still hasn't made up his mind if he's retiring.

I think if you're not clear on playing once March comes around, you're likely going to retire.

Anyway, the clock is ticking and the Giants will need to know soon enough.

https://theathletic.com/5322384/2024/03/07/giants-darren-waller-retirement/?source=user_shared_article

Ed Vette

Is it possible he wants out from the Giants and this is a way to get cut because their motivation would be Cap savings and not taking a chance in FA or the Draft? Why would he do this? He has no faith in the Offensive Line or Daniel Jones, or he sees Daboll imploding, or a combination of all of the above.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on March 07, 2024, 08:52:23 AMWaller still hasn't made up his mind if he's retiring.

I think if you're not clear on playing once March comes around, you're likely going to retire.

Anyway, the clock is ticking and the Giants will need to know soon enough.

https://theathletic.com/5322384/2024/03/07/giants-darren-waller-retirement/?source=user_shared_article

Thanks for posting. As a subscriber, I could read all the quotes.  I get a sense that Waller should retire.  He sounds like a man who has lost his passion for the game.  The problem is, it's a life milestone.  He is going to lose the big paychecks, the special camaraderie of the locker room, and the fame.  Those are tough things to walk away from.  I suspect that is why he is still deciding rather than having made the decision.  Plus, it's not like more data will be forthcoming if he waits longer to decide.

He flew all the way from his home in Vegas to shoot a music video in NJ this week.  So clearly, it's not a case of an exhausted man just needing to see how he feels when he is better rested.  If he has the energy to be shooting music video, this is an issue of passion and desire.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

He's probably weighing all the pro/con options. I don't know the man, and what his priorities are, but if it was me the following would be considered. Have I made enough to live comfortably, and what are my options going forward. What is my body telling me, I've been injured, do I want to consider more/continued nagging injuries. What's my family situation/where to put down roots. Can I walk away from the game satisfied.
Maybe he knows what he wants to do. Let's say it's retirement. Doing so now creates another hole on the team, another vulnerability/weakness that other teams can exploit in the draft/free agency. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on March 07, 2024, 09:42:21 AMHe's probably weighing all the pro/con options. I don't know the man, and what his priorities are, but if it was me the following would be considered. Have I made enough to live comfortably, and what are my options going forward. What is my body telling me, I've been injured, do I want to consider more/continued nagging injuries. What's my family situation/where to put down roots. Can I walk away from the game satisfied.
Maybe he knows what he wants to do. Let's say it's retirement. Doing so now creates another hole on the team, another vulnerability/weakness that other teams can exploit in the draft/free agency. 

I would prefer he didn't retire, but when you read all his comments, it's hard not to think that his passion for the game has left him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

https://twitter.com/ukgiantsfan1/status/1765729737408659475?t=J_iJChGcyRoZZHNCFf_sPA&s=19

This post was liked by former Pro Personnel Director and GM Randy Mueller! My claim to fame!

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 07, 2024, 09:56:41 AMhttps://twitter.com/ukgiantsfan1/status/1765729737408659475?t=J_iJChGcyRoZZHNCFf_sPA&s=19

This post was liked by former Pro Personnel Director and GM Randy Mueller! My claim to fame!

Impressive  :ok:

I love listening and reading Mueller's work.  I can also say that Mike Lombardi respects him as well, as Randy was on Mike's podcast, and since then, I have heard Mike quote things that Randy had said on multiple equations.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 07, 2024, 09:43:58 AMI would prefer he didn't retire, but when you read all his comments, it's hard not to think that his passion for the game has left him.
I'm just the opposite, I hope he does retire. If he's thinking about it this much and flip flopping about it, as the saying goes....He's already retired.
Don't need him showing up just to collect a paycheck. He was a non factor last season and will be even moreso this season.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

kingm56

Could be a veteran just trying to avoid camps; we've seen it before.

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on March 07, 2024, 01:46:10 PMCould be a veteran just trying to avoid camps; we've seen it before.
Probably help his hammy.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 07, 2024, 01:49:03 PMProbably help his hammy.

Indeed. I honestly don't believe it matters; I don't view his presence will move our wins dial. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on March 07, 2024, 01:56:16 PMIndeed. I honestly don't believe it matters; I don't view his presence will move our wins dial. 
He was pretty good when he was healthy.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 07, 2024, 02:14:55 PMHe was pretty good when he was healthy.

Agreed, but his ok/good play didn't result in wins. At 32, he's even less likely to matter.  I'd rather get younger here and hope to find a diamond in the rough. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on March 07, 2024, 02:20:17 PMAgreed, but his ok/good play didn't result in wins. At 32, he's even less likely to matter.  I'd rather get younger here and hope to find a diamond in the rough. 
He didn't have a passing attack for all the reasons stated. But he's a weapon and to get another year out of him if he can stay healthy would be an asset. Especially to a young QB. I think he's more frustrated than anything else.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin