News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Sam Darnold should the Giants go after him?

Started by brownelvis54, March 09, 2024, 12:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Sam Darnold is 26 years old. He is 6'3" and 225lbs. With Tyrod Taylor often injured, close to 35 years old and a free agent. The Giants should look at other options. I remember there were posters here pounding the table for Darnold...he is a free agent, and probably not be very expensive. I know I have posted a thread about getting a day 3 QB that we can groom and maybe get lucky, and he could be a starter or at worse, become a good back up QB. Players like Milton or Pratt.

The thing I like about Darnold is he is young; he has played in the NFL, maybe...just maybe he could come on and at the very least push Daniel Jones, challenge him for the starting QB job.

Do you see him as a viable option?

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

No, definitely not. Darnold is a confirmed bust and a liability on the field. There are much better backup options out there like Gardner Minshew, Mitch Trubitsky, and Marcus Mariotta. I would keep Taylor before I brought in Darnold. He's brutal.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

How is Darnold only 26? Seems like decades ago he was anointed to be the next great draft pick after a great Rose Bowl.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 09, 2024, 01:35:58 PMHow is Darnold only 26? Seems like decades ago he was anointed to be the next great draft pick after a great Rose Bowl.

Came into the league at 21 in 2018, but he only spent three years with the Jets.

Darnold has a career QB rating under 80 off a large sample. In today's NFL that's just not acceptable, regardless of circumstances. That puts him in Mike Glennon/Blaine Gabbert/Johnny Manziel type territory.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 09, 2024, 12:46:31 PMNo, definitely not. Darnold is a confirmed bust and a liability on the field. There are much better backup options out there like Gardner Minshew, Mitch Trubitsky, and Marcus Mariotta. I would keep Taylor before I brought in Darnold. He's brutal.

Trubitsky is going back to the Bills to be Josh Allen's backup You probably would have said the same thing about Geno Smith a few years back

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 09, 2024, 01:41:29 PMTrubitsky is going back to the Bills to be Josh Allen's backup You probably would have said the same thing about Geno Smith a few years back

Don't put words in my mouth or claim what I would or would not have said. We're not talking about Geno Smith. I said what I said about Darnold. Smith has nothing to do with this thread.

President Rick

Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

PSUBeirut

I guess we're just going to make threads about every washed up QB that could either be traded for or picked up off the dump heap. 

No.  We don't need any of them.  It's either going to be DJ or a QB that gets drafted. 

brownelvis54

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 09, 2024, 01:35:58 PMHow is Darnold only 26? Seems like decades ago he was anointed to be the next great draft pick after a great Rose Bowl.

True, seems like a lot longer than that
The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 09, 2024, 01:45:03 PMDon't put words in my mouth or claim what I would or would not have said. We're not talking about Geno Smith. I said what I said about Darnold. Smith has nothing to do with this thread.

EAsy , This is only a sports forum . We are not arguing politics or anytrhing important . Calm down

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 09, 2024, 06:25:10 PMEAsy , This is only a sports forum . We are not arguing politics or anytrhing important . Calm down

It's called basic common courtesy. For most normal people, it applies in all discourse.

You're being deliberately provocative for absolutely no reason. Cool it.

Stringer Bell

Darnold has been worse than DJ his entire career. Hard pass.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 09, 2024, 06:25:10 PMEAsy , This is only a sports forum . We are not arguing politics or anytrhing important . Calm down

The reference ," you "  to Gino Smith was a proverbial ,"you " not meant directly to you . While we are at it , my question to you is , if a poster several years back would have asked whether the Giants should try and sign Geno Smith as a backup , what would your answer have been ?

As an aside , where did you come up with Dave Brown 74 as your post name ? I am a huge Duke fan , my daughter graduated in 1996 and I became friendly with Jeff Mullins many eons ago. I was starting high school when Art Heyman was the best basketball player in LOng Island.

It was difficult watching last night's game. Last year I got tickets to MSG for the Iowa game from John Scheyer's mother .