News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The BBH/Big Hitter's Corner Podcast w/Ceri Dovey: 2024 Off-Season to Date

Started by bighitterdalama, March 10, 2024, 10:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

Hi all. In this podcast, Ceri and I examine the state of the Giants roster and discuss potential fixes, both in free agency and the draft. Run time is 33:11. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-826565332/off-season-2024-ceri-mixdown-1

Ed Vette

Well, since the recording, Mac Jones signaled either NE drafting a QB or signing one in FA and it's most likely they draft one as Ceri predicted. This opens up the door for the Giants to trade up with AZ or the Chargers because if they want a QB and they don't, another team will. It's going to be too costly for a team with so many needs. IMO, I agree with a big FA splash but it's not going to be nearly enough because they don't have the $$$.

Which brings in the Mara equation. What would his influence bring and to what degree. The tea leaves... Schoen comments about fully committed to Jones, his rehab going well. Major issues with the Offensive Line. Waller waffles. Trading back this draft is more a possibility than ever before.

I think the mantra this year would be fix the Offensive Line and support the kid we did everything in our power to break. They can get a Guard in FA so I see that too. They can get a T/G in the draft and a good one. They can get a good number one Receiver too in the first two rounds. Brian, I love Brock Bowers but I don't know if they would draft him in round one but who really knows. I think if Mara exerts his influence, QB is off the table and if they don't trade down or down too far, Odunze or Ord is the pick. If Mara is hands off and they trade down, and Bowers and Dallas Turner are both there, they go Turner and fool everyone.

As far as DLine, I'm seeing Ceri's last scenario with a four man front. They will need a 3 Tech. I go FA if possible. I would also test the Chase Young waters.

If there is a Role for Simmons, it would be a Kiwi Role as a Sam or Will since the Sam will likely be a Safety and btw, there's an abundance of good ones out there for a song. I can see Simmons in coverage and as a third down Rusher or situational Dog.

Good stuff men.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Thorough and thoughtful as usual. Highly recommended. It's just 1/2 hour, so I'd say it's a "can't-miss" listen.

I was especially thankful you restrained yourselves and put out as much information as possible without spending a lot of time on the draft (draft priorities always change after free-agency, IMO).

I can't agree or disagree with the view that we need to clean house now. Yes, with Wink gone the likelihood of a "house-cleaning" does increase on defense (same as to special-teams).

But several factors lead me to lean toward the view that Giants will keep borderline players: (1) the head coach hasn't changed; (2) I think Schoen will attack free-agency this year because (a) he has more money to spend; and (b) the leash around Daboll's neck has tightened.... with brings me to my final reason.... (3) head coaches in the what I perceive to be Daboll's current position are more likely to evoke the old adage "better the devil you know than the one you don't." That would mean he'd lean toward (rather than away from) keeping borderline players.

Even from the owners' perspective, I think that's accurate because if they see this year as "do-or-die" for Daboll, they know a new head coach would prefer to bring as many of "his guys" as possible. So tossing out borderline players now probably makes less sense than if Daboll's position were entirely secure (although this point applies only to borderline players who are not currently seen as overpaid).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 10, 2024, 03:39:34 PMThorough and thoughtful as usual. Highly recommended. It's just 1/2 hour, so I'd say it's a "can't-miss" listen.

I was especially thankful you restrained yourselves and put out as much information as possible without spending a lot of time on the draft (draft priorities always change after free-agency, IMO).

I can't agree or disagree with the view that we need to clean house now. Yes, with Wink gone the likelihood of a "house-cleaning" does increase on defense (same as to special-teams).

But several factors lead me to lean toward the view that Giants will keep borderline players: (1) the head coach hasn't changed; (2) I think Schoen will attack free-agency this year because (a) he has more money to spend; and (b) the leash around Daboll's neck has tightened.... with brings me to my final reason.... (3) head coaches in what I perceive to be Daboll's current position are more likely to evoke the old adage "better the devil you know than the one you don't." That would mean he'd lean toward (rather than away from) keeping borderline players.

Even from the owners' perspective, I think that's accurate because if they see this year as "do-or-die" for Daboll, they know a new head coach would prefer to bring as many of "his guys" as possible. So tossing out borderline players now probably makes less sense than if Daboll's position were entirely secure (although this point applies only to borderline players who are not currently seen as overpaid).

Bob
Bob, they supported Daboll over Wink. I'm not so sure he has a year. If they draft a QB, he gets at least two years. If they don't, then Mara is involved in support of Jones. The deficiencies in talent would be his saving grace. Please explain.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 10, 2024, 04:04:06 PMBob, they supported Daboll over Wink. I'm not so sure he has a year. If they draft a QB, he gets at least two years. If they don't, then Mara is involved in support of Jones. The deficiencies in talent would be his saving grace. Please explain.
Ed: Their choice was (1) Daboll over Wink; (2) fire Daboll and start over; or (3) fire everyone.  IMO, easy choice.

As for drafting a QB, I agree with all of your analysis... IF they draft a first-round QB. We won't know the likelihood of that until after free-agency ends.

So there's not much to explain yet.

Bob

PS. For the sake of completeness (regarding "deficiencies in talent saving Daboll's job") I don't see how that would help Daboll.  It might spell the end of the Schoen Era, but it won't prop up Daboll, IMO.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!