News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

OK hear me out

Started by killarich, March 11, 2024, 08:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

I was pissed as f*** we lost Barkley and Im not happy about the way he's acting

BUT

Upon further thought I feel like today has become more of a WIN than a loss

Why?

Losing Saquon sucks yes... but we just simply cant afford to pay a RB that much money

Losing McKinney sucks no matter how much you try to spin it... but the cost was really high

Now lets look at the incoming moves

We signed two midlevel Linemen, while not splashy ..... just the possibility of them being an upgrade is something we can look forward too... We also have a new O-line coach that in itself may have improved the O-line without the upgrades

Singleterry on the surface is no Barkley not even close ... BUT he does average 4 YAC ....  Now lets say the O-line does have some form of magical improvement to lets say the middle of the pack ... is Singleterry behind a decent O-line really going to be felt that much over an often injured Barkley behind a terrible O-line who only ran for 900 yards ?  IDK the trade off may be worth it

Then the obvious Burns... we essentially traded Williams and moved back 8 picks for Burns... crazy deal but absolutely worth it

Whoever we have at safety can hopefully have an easier job with Burns and Thibs wreaking havoc causing opposing teams QB's to throw it away

Azeez should also benefit as he is now only needed situationally and can hopefully keep fresh legs and less chance of injury

While I want a QB I rather the Giants not reach and just draft someone like Nabers unless one of the 3 QBs drop

I think the building blocks are better off now

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: killarich on March 11, 2024, 08:17:41 PMI was pissed as f*** we lost Barkley and Im not happy about the way he's acting

BUT

Upon further thought I feel like today has become more of a WIN than a loss

Why?

Losing Saquon sucks yes... but we just simply cant afford to pay a RB that much money

Losing McKinney sucks no matter how much you try to spin it... but the cost was really high

Now lets look at the incoming moves

We signed two midlevel Linemen, while not splashy ..... just the possibility of them being an upgrade is something we can look forward too... We also have a new O-line coach that in itself may have improved the O-line without the upgrades

Singleterry on the surface is no Barkley not even close ... BUT he does average 4 YAC ....  Now lets say the O-line does have some form of magical improvement to lets say the middle of the pack ... is Singleterry behind a decent O-line really going to be felt that much over an often injured Barkley behind a terrible O-line who only ran for 900 yards ?  IDK the trade off may be worth it

Then the obvious Burns... we essentially traded Williams and moved back 8 picks for Burns... crazy deal but absolutely worth it

Whoever we have at safety can hopefully have an easier job with Burns and Thibs wreaking havoc causing opposing teams QB's to throw it away

Azeez should also benefit as he is now only needed situationally and can hopefully keep fresh legs and less chance of injury

While I want a QB I rather the Giants not reach and just draft someone like Nabers unless one of the 3 QBs drop

I think the building blocks are better off now

agreed, schoen went from goat to goat IF Burns is as good as advertised
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

y_so_blu

I agree with all of this.

coggs

I think people need to get over the fact that Barkley was a #2 overall pick and the "face of the franchise".  RB's are just not worth paying unless you already have a complete team and the cap space to make a serious run at a Super Bowl.  I think we all can agree, that is not the Giants.   It was a mistake to draft him at #2, I have been saying it since the day it happened.  Don't need to make it worse by throwing good money after bad.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on March 11, 2024, 08:31:35 PMI think people need to get over the fact that Barkley was a #2 overall pick and the "face of the franchise".  RB's are just not worth paying unless you already have a complete team and the cap space to make a serious run at a Super Bowl.  I think we all can agree, that is not the Giants.   It was a mistake to draft him at #2, I have been saying it since the day it happened.  Don't need to make it worse by throwing good money after bad.

Or by keeping him around after the deadline during an utterly horrific season knowing we have absolutely no intention of tagging or signing him.

Oh wait, forget I said that....

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 11, 2024, 08:38:18 PMOr by keeping him around after the deadline during an utterly horrific season knowing we have absolutely no intention of tagging or signing him.

Yup. Bold would have traded McKinney and Barkley during a lost season.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 11, 2024, 08:38:18 PMOr by keeping him around after the deadline during an utterly horrific season knowing we have absolutely no intention of tagging or signing him.

So, should he sign him to a dumb deal just because he didnt trade him in October?  Secondly, we dont know what Schoen was thinking about Barkley's future in October.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on March 11, 2024, 08:45:06 PMSo, should he sign him to a dumb deal just because he didnt trade him in October? 

Of course not. Where did I even hint at such an argument?

I was agreeing with your post and simply adding to it. I have been one of the biggest opponents of signing Barkley to a long term deal on this board for the past couple years.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: katkavage on March 11, 2024, 08:40:22 PMYup. Bold would have traded McKinney and Barkley during a lost season.

People keep saying this as if there were known suitors lining up to give away real assets for an oft-injured, expiring contract player who plays one of the least valuable and easily replaceable positions in the NFL.

If Schoen traded draft picks for a RB who can't stay healthy and gave him a huge contract, he'd get crucified.