News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

This season the RBs get paid

Started by MightyGiants, March 12, 2024, 08:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It wasn't really a surprise.  For some reason, the pundits have yet to grasp (at least in large numbers) the relationships between the strengths of the draft and the free-agent market.   Last year, the draft was loaded with quality RBs, so no one spent on a veteran. This year's RB draft class is weak so the RBs are getting paid.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Aaron Jones got a 1 year deal for 7 million from Minnesota.

kingm56

Rich,

You're better at deciphering contract than I am; however, isn't this depiction misleading? For example, Barkley's deal is 'only' guaranteed for $26M. Swifts guaranteed for $15M, Pollard for $10M, and Jacobs is guaranteed $12M; the latter's contract is essentially a 1-year deal with an option for three additional seasons.  When reviewing the guaranteed money, I don't believe any of these RB exceeded their market values and were given a lot less than other positions.  For example, the Runyan contract is guaranteed for $17M, which is more than all the RBs on his list other than Barkley. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 12, 2024, 09:29:48 AMRich,

You're better at deciphering contract than I am; however, isn't this depiction misleading? For example, Barkley's deal is 'only' guaranteed for $26M. Swifts guaranteed for $15M, Pollard for $10M, and Jacobs is guaranteed $12M; the latter's contract is essentially a 1-year deal with an option for three additional seasons.  When reviewing the guaranteed money, I don't believe any of these RB exceeded their market values and were given a lot less than other positions.  For example, the Runyan contract is guaranteed for $17M, which is more than all the RBs on his list other than Barkley. 

As it stands, no contract has been made official, and the details are still unclear.

More importantly, the comparison is to last year when none of the RBs got paid.  I am not sure what the market value you are referring to when you said that market value was not exceeded.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE