News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants get Drew Lock for backup QB

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 12, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Well, they needed a backup QB, and backups like Purdy come around once every century or two. Typically, once you're down to relying on a backup, you're not going to lug home the Lombardi. Sure, it happens...but so does seeing an albino alligator in the wild. It happens, but is extremely rare!

Getting an experienced backup on the cheap is the way to go IMHO

I think a lot of Giants' fans are going to be upset when the Giants get to the podium to announce their pick and don't take a QB. They should prepare themselves for the let-down

I think they should trade down if one of the big QBs are on the board and take in a haul of picks from some desperate team in QB hell willing to roll the dice...their 1st, another 2nd rd, and a couple more mid-late round picks, as well as a 1st round next year, and maybe next year's 3rd or something. A lot of holes to fill, and we're down to only six overall picks this year
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on March 12, 2024, 03:19:39 PMJones, Lock, and DeVito? They better have plans to draft a QB next month.

DeVito will be gone by middle of training camp, if not sooner.

Coach Sparky ('we needed a spark") wants him out as soon as possible.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 12, 2024, 02:34:33 PMThey could have had Flacco.

I don't think Flacco was a FA and had already signed an extra year on his contract around Christmas time...not to mention, he's closing in on 40 years old and when QBs discover their golden arm that got them this far is fading and ain't what it used to be, it goes bad pretty quickly

ozzie

I don't hate this move. Locke will be a solid, low cost backup.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Giant Obsession on March 12, 2024, 04:39:17 PMDeVito will be gone by middle of training camp, if not sooner.

Coach Sparky ('we needed a spark") wants him out as soon as possible.
As long as we can find a way to move past the Daniel Jones era, I'm fine with whatever direction they go in. At least with DeVito there is a widely shared understanding that the team stinks and is only competing for draft position. With Daniel Jones we have the multi-year myth that this team can win a championship with him, complete with a pro-Jones marketing campaign that includes former Giants greats falling over themselves to tell us what we're seeing Jones do on the field isn't what's actually happening.

Painter

I'm inclined to think of Drew Lock as the QB1b albeit on a middling One Year/ $5 million contract. While no one asked me, I don't see the Giants as currently willing, able, or likely to trade-up for one of the top-3 QBs. While like most folks here, I have a preference for whom they may choose to take at No.6 overall, but it's of no consequence to anyone else whether accompanied by Yea, and hot damn, or bitching and moaning, or Whatha?

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Quote from: ozzie on March 12, 2024, 04:44:45 PMI don't hate this move. Locke will be a solid, low cost backup.
All kidding aside, he's a likable guy and should prove to be a positive influence in that QB room. Good arm and can be physical past the LOS. I would be willing to speculate that Daboll is thinking he can correct his mechanics and accuracy issues. He has nice height and sees the field well. He fits the Mara profile of a Lilly white, good looking kid.

Ric may be right, don't be disappointed if they pass on QB at six.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Personally, I see a move like this as a big sign we do not draft a QB at #6.

Why, you ask, if we do draft a QB, that relegates Lock to #3 on the chart and are we paying him whatever we are paying him to be a chart holder and not even given a jersey on game day? Jones will start no matter what and if we draft a QB he sits, will he be the #3 QB on game day and not even dress?
I see this as a move just to protect us if Jones goes down and we can still function. If we just wanted a space holder we keep DeVito not sign a QB like Lock.
I can see a move like this if Jones was gone and we drafted a QB. Then Lock is our back up but Jones is here for the entire 2024 season. so what sense does this move make unless we are drafting other than QB?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 12, 2024, 05:24:54 PMAll kidding aside, he's a likable guy and should prove to be a positive influence in that QB room. Good arm and can be physical past the LOS. I would be willing to speculate that Daboll is thinking he can correct his mechanics and accuracy issues. He has nice height and sees the field well. He fits the Mara profile of a Lilly white, good looking kid.

Ric may be right, don't be disappointed if they pass on QB at six.

I read that he leads all QBs in blocking, so there's that...as you pointed out that he's physical. And it can't hurt to have one more body push people out of the way for a RB

Change of scenery can have effects on the others in the room, as they all have differing experiences and coaches in their past, and they share with each other what they've learned. Lock is young and not ready to retire. He's given a chance to prove doubters wrong for the next few years. It certainly worked with Geno  :-??

DaveBrown74

I have no issues with this signing. I was hoping for Minshew going into the offseason, but not at $25mm over 2 years with $15mm guaranteed. Good for him to work his way up to that pay level. Wasn't long ago he was getting much less.

Locke showed up at Denver as a rookie a few years ago with some hype/promise, but he has been a let-down overall. Still, it sounds like he had his moments last year, and he's still young and he's healthy. We're obviously a very long way from contention, so there was no reason to break the bank on a backup QB (we already did exactly that with Jones).

I'm reading Lock's contract is "up to" $5mm for one year, which these days is about as cheap as you're going to find for any QB not named Mike Glennon or Jake Fromm.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on March 12, 2024, 05:46:42 PMPersonally, I see a move like this as a big sign we do not draft a QB at #6.

Why, you ask, if we do draft a QB, that relegates Lock to #3 on the chart and are we paying him whatever we are paying him to be a chart holder and not even given a jersey on game day? Jones will start no matter what and if we draft a QB he sits, will he be the #3 QB on game day and not even dress?
I see this as a move just to protect us if Jones goes down and we can still function. If we just wanted a space holder we keep DeVito not sign a QB like Lock.
I can see a move like this if Jones was gone and we drafted a QB. Then Lock is our back up but Jones is here for the entire 2024 season. so what sense does this move make unless we are drafting other than QB?

You're reading the tea leaves, Lenn. And the tea leaves I'm reading out here in God's country are saying the same thing, as your tea leaves. I no longer see us drafting a QB early in the draft, as it doesn't make sense. But if one of the gifted ones fall in their lap, I hope there's a bidding war among many teams offering their draft stock to switch positions

andrew_nyGiants

The kids got a HOWITZER and more importantly, he's not afraid to use it!

His willingness and ability to read down field routes already make him an improvement over DJ.

MOST IMPORTANT: If he is truly coachable, he's exactly what Dabs wants.

QB in 2025.

Trade down a few times from 6, load up the roster while snagging an extra 1st for next years' draft...snag some comp picks...and you have all the ammo you need for a new QB in next years draft AFTER the team is mostly rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

uconnjack8

Feeling pretty neutral on this.  Heard some talking heads say that he looks good in practice but it hasn't carried into game day. 

Wasnt one of the knocks on him small hands? That supposedly affects the ability to drive the ball downfield in bad weather in particular.

It's a 1 year deal for backup money.  Have to fill a roster.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 12, 2024, 06:08:54 PMFeeling pretty neutral on this.  Heard some talking headsenyion that he looks good in practice but it hasn't carried into game day. 

Wasnt one of the knocks on him small hands? That supposedly affects the ability to drive the ball downfield in bad weather in particular.

It's a 1 year deal for backup money.  Have to fill a roster.

Exactly. This is ho-hum stuff. He's not going to be our QB of the future. We all know that. That individual is not presently on the team. The Lock signing doesn't change that.