News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants still have a gaping hole at CB

Started by MightyGiants, March 13, 2024, 10:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have not hearn any reports in terms of what the Giants are doing to deal with that problem.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Big hole. I think two big holes unless they are counting on Hawkins and Flott. Let's see how the day ends.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Is Bowen's scheme heavier on man or zone?  Or is it pretty even? 

Wondering because zone guys are relatively easy to find.  At least compared to true man CBs.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 13, 2024, 10:40:30 AMIs Bowen's scheme heavier on man or zone?  Or is it pretty even? 

Wondering because zone guys are relatively easy to find.  At least compared to true man CBs.

Another change will be more zone coverage as opposed to man-to-man. As part of his definition of being aggressive, Martindale liked to play more man coverage than zone, doing so on 37 percent of the coverage. Bowen and the Titans ran man coverage 24 percent of the time, with a higher success rate.

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/giants-reportedly-have-interest-in-te-chris-manhertz
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 13, 2024, 10:40:30 AMIs Bowen's scheme heavier on man or zone?  Or is it pretty even? 

Excellent point. Hard (impossible) to divine what holes need to be filled since we haven't a clue yet as to the scheme up Shane Bowen's sleeve. He's not Spagnuolo (no one in the NFL is), but he's above average (according to reports) and uses a basic 3-4 setup with creative pressures...but if left to his own devices (rumor has it Titans ex-HC Mike Vrabel interfered with his play calling sometimes), he might excell. Hopefully, he prefers a Belichick style of "fluid defense", which means changing schemes during games to take advantage of the skill set of individual players on the field at any given point. But we know none of that yet
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

I like flott, pinnock, Belton, McCloud, owens, and Hawkins plus we have aaron Robinson we arent as bare as it seems.

This DC has a way of maximizing safety play

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 13, 2024, 11:22:43 AMI like flott, pinnock, Belton, McCloud, owens, and Hawkins plus we have aaron Robinson we arent as bare as it seems.

This DC has a way of maximizing safety play

McCloud is a free agent
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

remember Deonte Banks, too.  we need one more new starting CB unless hawkins lives up to the early 2023 season promise....he was a starter early on.  I'd resign McCloud too.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 13, 2024, 12:24:18 PMisn't he restricted?

He was, but as far as I know, the Giants didn't tender him (which is required to remain restricted)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 13, 2024, 12:25:57 PMHe was, but as far as I know, the Giants didn't tender him (which is required to remain restricted)
what's the cap looking like, are we restructuring AT and Dex?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 13, 2024, 01:36:06 PMwhat's the cap looking like, are we restructuring AT and Dex?

Effective cap (counting signing draft picks, NYG has no cap space.    Restructuring (aka borrowing future cap money) is going to happen soon.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 13, 2024, 10:56:25 AMExcellent point. Hard (impossible) to divine what holes need to be filled since we haven't a clue yet as to the scheme up Shane Bowen's sleeve. He's not Spagnuolo (no one in the NFL is), but he's above average (according to reports) and uses a basic 3-4 setup with creative pressures...but if left to his own devices (rumor has it Titans ex-HC Mike Vrabel interfered with his play calling sometimes), he might excell. Hopefully, he prefers a Belichick style of "fluid defense", which means changing schemes during games to take advantage of the skill set of individual players on the field at any given point. But we know none of that yet

I thought the base for his D was 4-3 not the other way around.  And 1 gapping for that front 4.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 13, 2024, 02:16:04 PMI thought the base for his D was 4-3 not the other way around.  And 1 gapping for that front 4.

Good point. I know nothing of Shane Bowen's previous defensive schemes. I Googled it and it said 3-4. So I'm likely wrong, but I don't know
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: