News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants may need a new assistant O-line coach

Started by MightyGiants, March 18, 2024, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Doesn't make any sense to me

He just signed with the Giants less than 2 weeks ago, leaving the college ranks to get into the pro ranks. I don't know how contracts work with coaches/asst coaches, but I can't believe that the Giants are letting him go, and he must have had the blessings of Daboll and Bricillo. Also, finally getting out of the college ranks (as an offensive coordinator at Holy Cross) and into the pros, seems more than a little wonky. It's not like James Madison is offering him a HC position  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

londonblue

If he goes Bricillo finds someone else. Not a huge deal, just a bit odd.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

Would definitely be an odd move. There might be personal reasons involved, who knows.

Reminds me a little of those free agents we brought in a few years back, only to have them retire during training camp.

End of the day not that big of a deal. If we suck again this year, clearly this won't be why.

Giant Obsession

He will find the working conditions (atmosphere) probably more conducive to his mental health.

His family will love the Shenandoah Valley which is much different from NYV/NJ.

The money will not be that much different and the opportunity for advancement in the college ranks is much much greater.

He would be steppin in on a hugely successful college football program that is flexing its muscle in its third year of Division 1 FCS.

For some people these are important factors.  The earth does not spin on an NFL axis.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Giant Obsession on March 18, 2024, 08:07:17 PMHe will find the working conditions (atmosphere) probably more conducive to his mental health.

The money will not be that much different and the opportunity for advancement in the college ranks is much much greater.

He would be steppin in on a hugely successful college football program that is flexing its muscle in its third year of Division 1 FCS.

For some people these are important factors.  The earth does not spin on an NFL axis.

I disagree  :P
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Obsession on March 18, 2024, 08:07:17 PMHe will find the working conditions (atmosphere) probably more conducive to his mental health.

Then why accept the NFL job in the first place?

Giant Obsession

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 18, 2024, 09:57:23 PMThen why accept the NFL job in the first place?

Good question.

An even better question is why after such a short time does he want to go back to coaching on the college level.

Hmmmm.

I have my thoughts BUT I am a very big believer that our HC can only portray a personality for the reporters and public but for so long, and then his real personality takes over.  But hey, those are just my thoughts from the outside looking in.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Obsession on March 18, 2024, 10:06:20 PMGood question.

An even better question is why after such a short time does he want to go back to coaching on the college level.

Hmmmm.

I have my thoughts BUT I am a very big believer that our HC can only portray a personality for the reporters and public but for so long, and then his real personality takes over.  But hey, those are just my thoughts from the outside looking in.

Fair enough.

Serious question, as I don't know the answer: was all this bad stuff about Daboll's supposedly toxic personality known when he was in Buffalo? If so, how come Josh Allen has said such great things about him, and why would Joe Schoen, who clearly had extensive internal visibility in Buffalo, make a big bet on him by hiring him?

And if not, then why would a previously well-behaved, well liked guy suddenly become this toxic, bad guy?

I'm struggling to add all this up.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 18, 2024, 10:55:06 PMFair enough.

Serious question, as I don't know the answer: was all this bad stuff about Daboll's supposedly toxic personality known when he was in Buffalo? If so, how come Josh Allen has said such great things about him, and why would Joe Schoen, who clearly had extensive internal visibility in Buffalo, make a big bet on him by hiring him?

And if not, then why would a previously well-behaved, well liked guy suddenly become this toxic, bad guy?

I'm struggling to add all this up.

Everybody handles the pressure of being "the leader" differently.  For some it is not that big of a deal.  For others, especially at this level, they find themselves in a position as HC all alone and may internalize it in a way that causes their personality to take on characteristics that are new to them.

Some people are great soldiers, but lousy generals.  Perhaps that is the case with Daboll.  Shoen may have seen a great assistant but there was/is no way or very little way to predict how they will react to being "the man".

I am puzzled as to exactly why Shoen decided to monitor the headsets for four games.  IF, and this is purely conjecture, Shoen saw a problem maybe he thought he help fix it rather than reach a logical conclusion that Daboll was not the man for the job.  Remember Mara had made the statement that he was tired of firing HC every 2 years.  Would you want to be the new GM that goes into Mara's office and tell him "we need to  make a change at HC.....after 2 years again.  Remember Shoen hired Daboll.    Take a couple of i.m.o. lukewarm drafts, add in a volatile HC you hired.....Not a good look for Shoen.  And let's face it no one wants to lose their well paying job ever.  Especially since this is Shoen's first go around as a GM.  Next stop Jerry Reese land.

As for Daboll the halftime interview against Buffalo where he looked and sounded totally bewildered because of how the half ended was a flaming red flag for me.  Both halves of that game and the Jets game with a 4th and 1 to salt the game away where was his superstar captain RB utilized.  Didn't even touch the ball.  Don't blame Kafka.  In a game deciding situation like those the coach makes the call.   Sending out an injured PK.  Having a backup QB throw a jump ball at the back of the end zone....really.  Saquon Barkley, Mr. Franchise, doesn't touch the ball  ???  WHERE was his head ??

Then comes the "toxic" rumors after the season.  Smoke or fire ?? 

But the players love him !!!  Everyone loves an easy boss.  I will say the players did play hard for him.  But where are the wins ??  DeVito pulled at halftime of a game cuz "we needed a spark" and yet Game 1....a route by halftime Daniel Jones took every snap in the game, even at 40 - 0.  Never mind there are still 16 games to be played and my QB has a bad neck injury history.

I think Daboll, much like Jones has trouble processing under pressure.  Shoen will have to separate himself from Daboll this season if he wants to survive.  I doubt Mara has many nights where he is not tossing and turning.......and hoping.  Hoping doesn't win in the NFL.
Mike

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Obsession on March 19, 2024, 01:00:55 AMEverybody handles the pressure of being "the leader" differently.  For some it is not that big of a deal.  For others, especially at this level, they find themselves in a position as HC all alone and may internalize it in a way that causes their personality to take on characteristics that are new to them.

Some people are great soldiers, but lousy generals.  Perhaps that is the case with Daboll.  Shoen may have seen a great assistant but there was/is no way or very little way to predict how they will react to being "the man".

I am puzzled as to exactly why Shoen decided to monitor the headsets for four games.  IF, and this is purely conjecture, Shoen saw a problem maybe he thought he help fix it rather than reach a logical conclusion that Daboll was not the man for the job.  Remember Mara had made the statement that he was tired of firing HC every 2 years.  Would you want to be the new GM that goes into Mara's office and tell him "we need to  make a change at HC.....after 2 years again.  Remember Shoen hired Daboll.    Take a couple of i.m.o. lukewarm drafts, add in a volatile HC you hired.....Not a good look for Shoen.  And let's face it no one wants to lose their well paying job ever.  Especially since this is Shoen's first go around as a GM.  Next stop Jerry Reese land.

As for Daboll the halftime interview against Buffalo where he looked and sounded totally bewildered because of how the half ended was a flaming red flag for me.  Both halves of that game and the Jets game with a 4th and 1 to salt the game away where was his superstar captain RB utilized.  Didn't even touch the ball.  Don't blame Kafka.  In a game deciding situation like those the coach makes the call.   Sending out an injured PK.  Having a backup QB throw a jump ball at the back of the end zone....really.  Saquon Barkley, Mr. Franchise, doesn't touch the ball  ???  WHERE was his head ??

Then comes the "toxic" rumors after the season.  Smoke or fire ?? 

But the players love him !!!  Everyone loves an easy boss.  I will say the players did play hard for him.  But where are the wins ??  DeVito pulled at halftime of a game cuz "we needed a spark" and yet Game 1....a route by halftime Daniel Jones took every snap in the game, even at 40 - 0.  Never mind there are still 16 games to be played and my QB has a bad neck injury history.

I think Daboll, much like Jones has trouble processing under pressure.  Shoen will have to separate himself from Daboll this season if he wants to survive.  I doubt Mara has many nights where he is not tossing and turning.......and hoping.  Hoping doesn't win in the NFL.

I appreciate you answering the question and expounding on these views. You definitely have me thinking about all this.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE