News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

"The Giants are finished with Daniel Jones"

Started by MightyGiants, March 16, 2024, 08:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

That was the pronouncement from Rich Eissen.  Rich isn't an "insider," so as Mike Lombardi suggested, Rich probably heard this from someone within the Giants organization.

NYG mouthpiece, the Giants Insider, pronounced that the Giants are done with Jones and are moving on.

Even Carl Banks and Bob Papa suggested DJ is done.

Now here is what is bothering me.  Say what you will about Shoen's decisions, but the one constant since Schoen has got here is that he never telegraphs his intentions (beyond that Daniel Jones was coming back in 2023).

While common sense suggests the Giants will be moving on from DJ due to injury issues and his on-field struggles in 2022, it's hardly a slam dunk.   There are a sizeable number of people who believe Mara is the puppet master, and he still loves Daniel Jones.

So why are the Giants telegraphing their intentions pre-draft when the Giants simply do not do that under Schoen?

One explanation would be to prime the fanbase to expect the team to move on from their current start.  Only the number of fans who hate DJ or are very down on him is quite sizeable, so this doesn't seem to be needed.

So is this entire thing an elaborate smokescreen to entice teams to trade up to draft a QB before the Giants (forcing WRs lower) or to trade with the Giants (fetching them a king's ransom)?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Baby Papa and Charlie Weis had a conversation about the Giants this week on NFL Radio.

They were discussing offseason rumors in general.  Weis was trying to make a point about people and their predictions and how they could know what they claim to know.

Weis asked Papa if head heard any info about the Giants draft intentions (or general other offseason moves) noting that Papa is about as close to the Giants as any beat reporter or other media people.

And Papa said absolutely not, the organization is as tight lipped as any regime he can remember. 

Gman329

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 16, 2024, 08:29:10 AMBaby Papa and Charlie Weis had a conversation about the Giants this week on NFL Radio.

They were discussing offseason rumors in general.  Weis was trying to make a point about people and their predictions and how they could know what they claim to know.

Weis asked Papa if head heard any info about the Giants draft intentions (or general other offseason moves) noting that Papa is about as close to the Giants as any beat reporter or other media people.

And Papa said absolutely not, the organization is as tight lipped as any regime he can remember. 

Off topic here but Charlie Weiss is absolutely the worst listen on Sirius NFL Radio.  Talks a lot, says nothing.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Gman329 on March 16, 2024, 08:39:13 AMOff topic here but Charlie Weiss is absolutely the worst listen on Sirius NFL Radio.  Talks a lot, says nothing.

I find Ryan Leaf to be one if the worst.   Weis's perspective on things is interesting to me and listening to some of his stories. 

londonblue

There are lots of potential sources for any story. The questions I always ask are is the media guy credible (Eisen is not a BS guy) and if so, who benefits?

In this case the only way Giants benefit is if they are only sold on 2 of 3 WR and are doing what Mighty suggests in his final paragraph.

Who else might benefit? A team above us wanting to trade out. The agents of almost any QB not named Caleb Williams trying to heat up the market and generate leverage. Another GM/HC wanting to trade up but preferring to distract the media to focus elsewhere (Denver, New Orleans, Las Vegas might all fit here; less so Minnesota as they tipped their hand).

Bottom line I think the Giants are not the most likely source, but that does not mean it is not true.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

Given Jones is not going anywhere in 2024, I would agree that it would seem odd for a normally tight-lipped organization to send that message externally, even if it is true behind closed doors.

The one thing Schoen did say publicly on multiple occasions in the past month is that "we need to address the QB position, and that could mean in the draft and/or in free agency." Of course, he also said that he expects Jones to be the starter if/when he is healthy enough.

I have my own views on Jones' remaining longevity with this team, but at the end of the day I don't know anything for sure. I will just see how it plays out. Clearly if they draft a QB in the first round, Jones is a goner after 2024. I think every Giants fan should be able to agree on that. Also, if they don't spread out this exorbitant $47mm 2024 cap hit of his, which it looks like they won't as they probably would have taken care of that before free agency, that is a pretty clear sign that, at the very least, they want to preserve the option of moving on from him after 2024. There's just no way you'd take that big of a hit this year unnecessarily if you view him as the QB of the future.

So to sum up, I feel like there is already a lot of writing on the wall on this subject, regardless of what the Rich Eisens of the world say.

katkavage

Got to stop with the "hate Jones" narrative. I have no hate for Jones. I just don't think he can ever lead the Giants beyond mediocrity and I want, as an aging Giant fan, to see them find someone who can. And the sooner the better. That's all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 16, 2024, 09:09:49 AMGot to stop with the "hate Jones" narrative. I have no hate for Jones. I just don't think he can ever lead the Giants beyond mediocrity and I want, as an aging Giant fan, to see them find someone who can. And the sooner the better. That's all.

I am not suggesting you hate Jones (which is why I said there are those who hate and those who are just very down on him).   While there are people who hold a reasoned position to be down on Jones, there is no denying that there is a significant portion of the fanbase and commentators who are displaying visceral emotional issues with Daniel Jones.  Jones generated that hate from the moment David Gettleman drafted him.

It's an interesting phenomenon, as I can't recall seeing a similar issue in my many decades as a football fan.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 08:44:14 AMGiven Jones is not going anywhere in 2024, I would agree that it would seem odd for a normally tight-lipped organization to send that message externally, even if it is true behind closed doors.

The one thing Schoen did say publicly on multiple occasions in the past month is that "we need to address the QB position, and that could mean in the draft and/or in free agency." Of course, he also said that he expects Jones to be the starter if/when he is healthy enough.

I have my own views on Jones' remaining longevity with this team, but at the end of the day I don't know anything for sure. I will just see how it plays out. Clearly if they draft a QB in the first round, Jones is a goner after 2024. I think every Giants fan should be able to agree on that. Also, if they don't spread out this exorbitant $47mm 2024 cap hit of his, which it looks like they won't as they probably would have taken care of that before free agency, that is a pretty clear sign that, at the very least, they want to preserve the option of moving on from him after 2024. There's just no way you'd take that big of a hit this year unnecessarily if you view him as the QB of the future.

So to sum up, I feel like there is already a lot of writing on the wall on this subject, regardless of what the Rich Eisens of the world say.

I am not suggesting that the Giants should continue to ride with the often-injured Jones moving forward. My point is that having that story get out in the press so strongly would only be detrimental to the Giants moving forward, and this new regime seems to do a very good job keeping their trade and draft intentions secret.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Jones has proven to be a fleet footed QB who has absolutely no grasp for the rest of the positional nuance

- receiver selection
- touch downfield outside the numbers
- football speed and trajectory
- pocket awareness
- ability to rally his troops

plus a Barkley like ability to sustain injuries

He is gone to me....Tommy Devito outplayed him by a mile and a half as did Tyrod Taylor
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

ozzie

The Giants front office is a completely different animal from the one lead by Dave Gettleman & even Jerry Reese. Getty telegraphed every move he was going to make, telling the world he was in "Full Bloom Love" with DJ and that SB was "Touched by the hand of God". It surprised no one when he drafted them. He also let everyone know he targeted Devonte Smith, and was an easy target for Dallas & Philly to undercut him.
Reese let his intentions be known before draft day and was jumped a few times too for players he wanted, if I recall correctly. (Leonard Floyd comes to mind)
I like that Schoen plays things close to the vest and has people guessing which direction his draft will go. That is the way it should be. So, I think no one knows for sure what he thinks of DJ and his future with this team. A lot of smokescreen is a good thing leading up to draft day.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

kartanoman

Quote from: katkavage on March 16, 2024, 09:09:49 AMGot to stop with the "hate Jones" narrative. I have no hate for Jones. I just don't think he can ever lead the Giants beyond mediocrity and I want, as an aging Giant fan, to see them find someone who can. And the sooner the better. That's all.

I agree as well. It's plain childish and reveals far more about the individual behind the keyboard than Jones himself. I see it as an unfortunate Quality Control nonconformity which hampers our endeavor to achieve our mission statement on this message board.

Thank you.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2024, 09:14:12 AMI am not suggesting you hate Jones (which is why I said there are those who hate and those who are just very down on him).   While there are people who hold a reasoned position to be down on Jones, there is no denying that there is a significant portion of the fanbase and commentators who are displaying visceral emotional issues with Daniel Jones.  Jones generated that hate from the moment David Gettleman drafted him.

It's an interesting phenomenon, as I can't recall seeing a similar issue in my many decades as a football fan.

To be fair, Rich @MightyGiants , it is one thing to be disappointed for him, which I reside in that camp as several others are, while others may be disappointed AT him, while still others use language describing hate AT him while still others describe hate THROUGH him and DIRECTED AT John Mara.

Hence, the Pandora's Box effect. It's not about tip-toeing around Danoel Jones, but what are you really inferring when you do address him?

It's all crazy to me.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: ozzie on March 16, 2024, 09:27:59 AMThe Giants front office is a completely different animal from the one lead by Dave Gettleman & even Jerry Reese. Getty telegraphed every move he was going to make, telling the world he was in "Full Bloom Love" with DJ and that SB was "Touched by the hand of God". It surprised no one when he drafted them. He also let everyone know he targeted Devonte Smith, and was an easy target for Dallas & Philly to undercut him.
Reese let his intentions be known before draft day and was jumped a few times too for players he wanted, if I recall correctly. (Leonard Floyd comes to mind)
I like that Schoen plays things close to the vest and has people guessing which direction his draft will go. That is the way it should be. So, I think no one knows for sure what he thinks of DJ and his future with this team. A lot of smokescreen is a good thing leading up to draft day.

With Reese, I am not sure how much the issue was leaking.  The longer Reese was GM, the lazier he got.  So, watching when Reese would actually leave his office and attend a Pro Day pretty much told you who the Giants were looking at since he only went to Pro Days of prospects the team was looking to draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I call smoke. It's that time of the year. Maybe trying to get other QB starved teams to get panicky and worrying they won't get one of the better QBs, thus driving up the value of the 6th pick in order to maximize a potential trade down. I am not convinced that Schoen has any player locked in as a player he loves, but if he does, he's not letting it slip. For me, after spending a couple months researching the draft, I've been all over the place. Lately, I'm warming up to the idea that Bowers could actually be a steal...and I've had him marked off as an unnecessary piece for the Giants for months. But he provides a superb target in both short and midfield (like a no.2 WR) and YAC, whilst adding another blocker to keep DJ upright. Truth is, I haven't a clue about Schoen's thinking and I suspect no one outside his inner circle (Brown, Rossetti, Daboll) have even an inkling of what's being said behind closed doors  :-??

We'll know on April 25th, about 9:30 PM
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: