News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Did the 2021 draft set the Giants back?

Started by brownelvis54, March 16, 2024, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Hindsight is 20/20. Looking at the 2021 draft, is there anything positive that came out of it for the Giants? As of now I am looking at Rashawn Slater and Micah Parsons...am I missing something? Did we in any way benefit from the 2021 draft as of now?
The KING is in the building

londonblue

As Ceri will attest I went ballistic when Gettlebum telegraphed our love of Smith so Philly traded above us for him and then compounded it by trading down rather than taking Parsons and let him fall right into Dallas' hands.

The extra first gained was nice in theory (and good value by tge charts) but he then drafted a guy everybody said had personality issues/bust risk (guess what,they were right) and Schoen turned the future 1 into Evan Neal which is less than stellar.

As for the rest of the draft Ojulari flashes but is always injured, Aaron Robinson is clinging onto the roster by his fingernails and the other 3 picks are all gone.

Impossible to do it worse really.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

brownelvis54

Quote from: londonblue on March 16, 2024, 06:08:20 PMAs Ceri will attest I went ballistic when Gettlebum telegraphed our love of Smith so Philly traded above us for him and then compounded it by trading down rather than taking Parsons and let him fall right into Dallas' hands.

The extra first gained was nice in theory (and good value by tge charts) but he then drafted a guy everybody said had personality issues/bust risk (guess what,they were right) and Schoen turned the future 1 into Evan Neal which is less than stellar.

As for the rest of the draft Ojulari flashes but is always injured, Aaron Robinson is clinging onto the roster by his fingernails and the other 3 picks are all gone.

Impossible to do it worse really.

Well said.If we would have stayed and taken Slater, then No Toney and No Even Neal
The KING is in the building

uconnjack8

There were so many possibilities of drafting a solid pick and they ended up with Toney in the 1st.  If they don't make that trade obviously Parsons and Slater were sitting there.

I liked the trade at the time and even after the trade they could have drafted Darrisaw and had their bookends.

For the record I still think Devonta Smith was over drafted.   He is good but not worth a top 10 pick.  Of course drafting productive players earlier than maybe they should have been isn't what kills organizations. Its drafting guys like Toney in the 1st who contribute nothing.

EDjohnst1981

Is this the draft where they traded back in to get Baker?

Awful decisions all round.

MightyGiants

Success in the NFL is no great mystery.  Successful teams draft and develop players well.  The Giants haven't done that in at least a decade.  You can point to any single draft and see it was not a good or great one in terms of drafting and developing talent
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on March 17, 2024, 08:50:55 AMIs this the draft where they traded back in to get Baker?

Awful decisions all round.

No that was 2019.  They made 3 1st round selections:

Daniel Jones
Dexter Lawrence
DeAndre Baker

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 17, 2024, 09:11:46 AMNo that was 2019.  They made 3 1st round selections:

Daniel Jones
Dexter Lawrence
DeAndre Baker

Ah, thank you for the correction. With so many bad drafts it's hard to keep track!

uconnjack8

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on March 17, 2024, 09:13:30 AMAh, thank you for the correction. With so many bad drafts it's hard to keep track!

Agreed. 3 1st rounders and only 1 of them has lived up to the draft position.   

President Rick

watched a 2018 Giants eagles game rerun yesterday, and I couldn't even recall many of the players even being on the team, let alone being around for a while.  That was six seasons ago, which I guess proves the nfl really does = not for long.  Of course Eli was QB and Shep was there [and another wr named shepherd too!!!]...strangers mostly on the OL and only a few guys on D who had decent careers.  Most of the players were just filling seats.  Meaning, sadly, we just keep the revolving door going either by bad drafting or letting good players walk [from that 2018 group, we had tomlinson, bj hill and landon collins, who had a great game in that tilt].
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Painter

The 2021 Draft was indeed disproportionate in terms of bad decisions and missed opportunities, but it wasn't the only thing nor by far the Giants biggest error, which was Mara's decision to hire his bloviating crony, Dave Gettleman in the first place.

Cheers!