News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How would you feel about this pick at number 6?

Started by DaveBrown74, March 19, 2024, 05:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I am fine with the following prospects at 6 (or trading down)

JJ
Maye
Odunze
Nabers
MHJ
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

If they pick JJ at 6, I can accept that. If he's gone, take your pick at WR. 

londonblue

Quote from: Philosophers on March 19, 2024, 07:39:22 PMI think Hakeem Nicks was only 6'0" but because he was such a great ball catcher with his hands, his radius was enormous.  That matters more to me than just size.  How he catches the ball.

You will like Odunze then. Terrific hands.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Painter

I expect it to be either Nabers or Odunze at 6- leaning toward the former- to finally give the Giants the top-tier X-Receiver they haven't had since the days before OBJ began to flame out 4 going on 5 years ago.

Cheers!

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 19, 2024, 07:46:09 PMExcellent point and example. Nicks was 6 foot and barely over 200, but he "played big." He also wasn't fast at all (4.63 40). And yet he was really effective. You can have all the physical gifts in the world but not everyone knows how to play. Look at Bryce Ford-Wheaton last year. Guy was a monster. We all hoped he could somehow make it work. But he couldn't. Some guys are just better football players than others, and there's a lot more to it than size and speed.

BFW was so tantalizing for sure.  Maybe he comes back from his injury and learns.

I will take another Nicks type hands catcher at 6'0" in a second. 

Jclayton92

Most elite Wrs have 4.5 speed so I don't know why teams look for crazy speed when ok works perfectly fine.

B1GBLUE

we need an alpha receiver. if hes a better WR prospect than any of the qb prospects at 6, do it. Mike evans has been elite his entire career with for the most part, a revolving door of blah qbs. larry fitzgerald also only had a smaller chunk of solid qb play. Im not saying he's going to turn jones into a star, but we have NOTHING at receiver. Slayton is what he is, a solid #3, wandale is a slot guy, hyatt  is a decent deep threat. none of them are close to an alpha receiver. odunze would come in and be THAT guy day 1. very good size, very good speed, elite ball/jump skills. Taking mccarthy at 6 is basically taking jones all over again. yes we need qb help. but you dont pass on a guy this good, especially when its truly a position of need.

WheresDayne

I agree we go WR at 6.  What if Pennix is there when we pick in the second?  Do you go for him then even with the injury history:
Year   Injury
2018   Torn right ACL
2019   Dislocated right SC joint (non-throwing shoulder)
2020   Torn right ACL
2021   Separated left AC joint (throwing shoulder)

Thoughts?

Jclayton92

Quote from: WheresDayne on March 21, 2024, 10:50:13 AMI agree we go WR at 6.  What if Pennix is there when we pick in the second?  Do you go for him then even with the injury history:
Year   Injury
2018   Torn right ACL
2019   Dislocated right SC joint (non-throwing shoulder)
2020   Torn right ACL
2021   Separated left AC joint (throwing shoulder)

Thoughts?
From the tape ive watched he can't be effective unless he has a perfect pocket, which he won't have in the NFL.

TONKA56

Quote from: Philosophers on March 20, 2024, 05:03:37 PMBFW was so tantalizing for sure.  Maybe he comes back from his injury and learns.

I will take another Nicks type hands catcher at 6'0" in a second. 

I don't think the BFW experiment is over.

andrew_nyGiants

No offense to anyone here.

If you believe JJ is a solid GET @ #6, I would just like to remind every one of the last QB we took @ #6 overall.

Bigger games, and bigger wins but also carried by the OLINE, running game & defense for JJ.

If they're inclined to take him, they may as well stick with what they have. There's negligible difference, unless it's simply a "restart the clock" pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

zephirus

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 22, 2024, 12:00:39 PMNo offense to anyone here.

If you believe JJ is a solid GET @ #6, I would just like to remind every one of the last QB we took @ #6 overall.

Bigger games, and bigger wins but also carried by the OLINE, running game & defense for JJ.

If they're inclined to take him, they may as well stick with what they have. There's negligible difference, unless it's simply a "restart the clock" pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Voice of reason here!  I get the impression there's a faction here of "anyone but Jones!" and just want change for changes sake.  I too don't get the impression that JJ McCarthy represents a short or long term gain over our existing options at QB. 

spiderblue43

Better than taking JJ, a good, not great talent. Its a huge need. And much better than trading up for JJ.

The Draftniks are saying "oh next year..it's a down year for qbs". We don't know that. Players emerge all the time (i.e. Daniels). Build up the roster with great players first like Odunze. It's far better to have a good qb on a great roster than even a great qb on a bad one. Anyone remember Tarkenton, Hall of Famer with the Giants? One winning season out of five.

Jolly Blue Giant

As for me...the more I research, the more I realize how little I know how this draft will unfold. For weeks, it seemed the only smart thing to do was to trade down and accumulate assets. I no longer feel that way, but I could be wrong. Half of me thinks the Giants having workouts with all the QBs is nothing more than a smoke screen to get some QB starved team to empty their coffers to trade up, the other half of me tells me they're serious about a QB  :-??

Also, the whole Waller drama..."will he stay or won't he"...seems like a smoke screen to me. Waller clearly stated that he was going to retire (perhaps to be able to be closer to his new wife Kelsey Plum, who is a star in Las Vegas), then out of freakin nowhere, we get a report that "he hasn't completely made up his mind". To me, I believe Schoen knows he is retiring, but realizes it best for other teams to think he might play another year...so did he collude with Waller to recant his retirement until after the draft? And if so, does this mean Schoen is interested in Brock Bowers and doesn't want him taken before the six spot? Bowers is every bit the pass-catching stud that the three big name WRs are...at 6'3/and a smidgen over 240 lbs, and a 4.4 guy, he's basically a slightly heavier WR who can also block, but really a pass catching freak of nature who has an incredible ability to get YAC as well as has the speed to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. He has a reputation for pulling in the toughest passes under every scenario. Would we go TE in the first, when he's anything but a traditional TE???

Letting Saquon walk, while simultaneously beefing up QB protection, signals that we are moving into a pass heavy team, so we need receivers of all types in order for that to work...so in my opinion, we will go with the top WR or Bowers with our first pick. I think looking at QBs is a ruse

Bottom line: I don't know! It will be very interesting to see what we do on draft day. I have a lot of faith in Schoen making a smart decision that will have long term benefits. I think EVERYTHING that is going on right now means nothing concerning what Schoen is planning. No way in hell is he ever going to show his cards at this time of the year - you can take that to the bank
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

I've been trying to guess what the Giants will do on draft day but it just makes my brain hurt. There's too many ways this can unfold and it doesn't make sense for me to try to make sense of it. I'll just concentrate my time on other things until they actually are on the board and then, hopefully, be satisfied or at least pleasantly surprised.