News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Carl Banks: Stop the Barkley Bashing

Started by Ed Vette, March 21, 2024, 08:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

+1

It's long past time to move forward.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

The one nice thing about Barkley leaving the Giants was that I was hoping we had seen the end of the talk and threads about Barkley.   

Barkley was a huge disappointment who was over-drafted, underperformed, and overpaid.  He's gone, and I wish he was fully in our rearview mirror.

I couldn't care less what fans are still saying about the guy; it's between him and them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 21, 2024, 09:13:42 AMThe one nice thing about Barkley leaving the Giants was that I was hoping we had seen the end of the talk and threads about Barkley.   

Barkley was a huge disappointment who was over-drafted, underperformed, and overpaid.  He's gone, and I wish he was fully in our rearview mirror.

I couldn't care less what fans are still saying about the guy; it's between him and them.

How was he any of those things? Who really cares where he was drafted at this point. The Giants were picking high and he was there, just like they've done since the Evan Engram days. I cannot think of one 1st round pick that has woked out well for the Giants besides Thomas for 10 years. and he was easily the best player the Giants had the whole time he was here. And objectively a top 4 player in the running back position.

uconnjack8

I don't understand all the Barkley hate.  One poster here called him the worst draft choice in a decade.  He was actually one of the most successful 1st rounders in that time. 

I said it in another thread and will say it again because its worth repeating:  The Giants haven't sucked for the last decade because they over drafted a productive RB. They have sucked because they drafted completely unproductive 1st round picks like Flowers, Baker, Toney, Apple, etc.

The team didnt offer him a contract so he went to the highest bidder.

PSUBeirut

I think a lot of fans can't separate the fact that Barkley didn't draft himself and he never said anything close to what Gettleman said "touched by the hand of God", "gold jacket" talk.  What Gettleman did and said put a weird stain on Barkley for a lot of fans, despite him having absolutely zero to do with any of that. 

The facts are he did put this team on his back, was outstanding in the locker room and in the community, and worked his ass off through significant injuries to continue to put this team on his back.  He would have liked nothing more than to have helped bring another Super Bowl to NY and stayed a Giant for life.  But, that's not how it worked out.  It is what it is.

I wish him all the individual luck in the world and also hope his new team sucks total ass despite his success  :ok:   Here's to hoping.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 21, 2024, 10:22:19 AMI don't understand all the Barkley hate.  One poster here called him the worst draft choice in a decade.  He was actually one of the most successful 1st rounders in that time. 

I said it in another thread and will say it again because its worth repeating:  The Giants haven't sucked for the last decade because they over drafted a productive RB. They have sucked because they drafted completely unproductive 1st round picks like Flowers, Baker, Toney, Apple, etc.

The team didnt offer him a contract so he went to the highest bidder.

Matt,

It's not Barkley. hate to say he underperformed.  When you draft a RB 2nd overall, the expectation is at least one All-Pro season in his first 6 years (really the prime years for a RB). 

2 Pro Bowls and Rookie of the Year are not much to show for the Giants 2nd overall pick (and the high salary for an RB that resulted).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 21, 2024, 10:31:03 AMMatt,

It's not Barkley. hate to say he underperformed.  When you draft a RB 2nd overall, the expectation is at least one All-Pro season in his first 6 years (really the prime years for a RB). 

2 Pro Bowls and Rookie of the Year are not much to show for the Giants 2nd overall pick (and the high salary for an RB that resulted).

Like I said, in some eyes he may have "underperformed" or not met the expectations of a #2 pick.  But do you think drafting he or Baker hurt more?  Barkley vs Apple who was a worse pick? 

Bottom line is Barkley was the best offensive player on the team for most of his tenure.

WheresDayne

I think there'd be a lot less hate if he wasn't wearing Eagle green.   :boooo:

Fletch

Really? So anyone who isn't drafted below 5 should be an all pro otherwise they are a huge let down? That is a pretty tall order and a bit regimented. Not to mention he was hurt / played hurt through a lot of that. Calling Bark "a RB" on the Giants is a bit of misdirection to try and belittle his status. Go check some box scores; he was also their leading receiver in quite a few games, and I can all but guaratee you was the focal point of every Defensive coordinator the Gaints ever faced.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Fletch on March 21, 2024, 11:19:04 AMReally? So anyone who isn't drafted below 5 should be an all pro otherwise they are a huge let down?

Did I say running back or "anyone"???   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 21, 2024, 08:21:30 AMI have to agree.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/19/new-york-giants-great-carl-banks-calls-for-end-personal-attacks-against-saquon-barkley?

I agree , but saquon himself keeps throwing little jabs at the giants

He's obviously more hurt then he lets out and he's becoming the opposite of what he was here in the tri-state ... he's now acting like a di**

T200

Why can't the lack of offensive line protection *reason* that has been used for Jones be also used for Barkley?

Anyone who can spell "football" knows that without Barkley, the Giants would not have been in the playoffs in 2022/23. He was the only threat on offense we had his entire time here.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

PSUBeirut

I'll add another interesting thing I've thought about - there are a certain class of elite athletes that are praised for, essentially, being a di** - being so hyper competitive that they wear their emotions on their sleeves a bit....Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, Kobe, etc.  Because of injuries Saquon certainly hasn't come close to reaching those levels, but I at least find it interesting that anything at all he says that is not completely vanilla is seen so negatively by NY Sports fans....  why is that?  I have no clue.  I imagine, psychologically, it's because of the spot he was drafted, the overall shittiness of the team, and the expectations placed on him - all things completely out of his own personal control.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 21, 2024, 11:39:11 AMWhy can't the lack of offensive line protection *reason* that has been used for Jones be also used for Barkley?

Anyone who can spell "football" knows that without Barkley, the Giants would not have been in the playoffs in 2022/23. He was the only threat on offense we had his entire time here.

Fair question.  PFF has a stat, yards after contact per attempt.  Since it's after contact, you are removing the O-line (which usually had better run blocking than pass blocking grades) from the equation.

With a 20% carry filter Barkley ranked 23 with 2.91 yards for 2023
Had to remove the filter for 2022 Barkley ranked 73rd with 2.75 yards after contact per attempt
with filter 43rd with 2.69 yards after contact per attempt for 2021
Had to remove the filter for 2020 where he ranked 115th with 2.21 yards after contact per attempt
2019 Barkley was tied for 11th with 3.23 yards after contact per attempt
2018 Barkley was tied for 6th with 3.34 yards after contact per attempt
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE