News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Carl Banks: Stop the Barkley Bashing

Started by Ed Vette, March 21, 2024, 08:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

MightyGiants

I heard an ESPN Eagles beat reporter proclaim the Eagles are getting a "Pro Bowl running back" by signing Barkley.  Would you agree?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I think behind that line with an established passing attack, he is likely to have a great year and come close to the production of his rookie year.  Even with Kelce gone and Philly potentially on the decline.  He will not be the 1st thing a defense tries to take away for the 1st time in his pro career. 

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 21, 2024, 03:16:00 PMI heard an ESPN Eagles beat reporter proclaim the Eagles are getting a "Pro Bowl running back" by signing Barkley.  Would you agree?

Yes.  I guess we'll see.  If he's healthy, there's no doubt in my mind he's still a top RB in the league- even after losing a step due to injury.  And he just got paid like one- despite a huge majority of Giants fans on this board proclaiming he'd never see that kind of top-end RB money. 

MightyGiants

While I can appreciate the opposing view, I would say Barkley is no longer a Pro Bowl-caliber RB.   In the passing game, he struggles because he fights the ball.   Barkley's ability to find and hit holes was pretty much average to my eye.  What made Barkley special was his long speed, as he could take any carry to the house.  What I saw last season was Barkley caught from behind far too often.   That special breakaway home run speed simply wasn't there last season.

Maybe with a better O-line and a bit less attention paid to him, Barkley does do better, but I am on the doubtful side (not saying it positively won't happen).  I think the Eagles are going to realize they paid for past glory/name rather than future/actual performance.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

y_so_blu

Barkley had the perfect exit. He ended his season by running over the Eagles, impressing them enough to offer him a big contract. So I'm certainly not among the people bashing him. Well played, Saquon.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 21, 2024, 01:56:22 PMHe also exercised very poor judgment selecting an agent

Did he?

It certainly seemed that way the last offseason, but in getting her client to refuse to sign the Giants' offer and instead to wait, he is now on a Super Bowl caliber team instead of our crappy team, and in addition to that he has a much better contract than he was offered by the Giants last year. Seems like a double-win to me. How did she fail him exactly?

TONKA56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 21, 2024, 03:16:00 PMI heard an ESPN Eagles beat reporter proclaim the Eagles are getting a "Pro Bowl running back" by signing Barkley.  Would you agree?

It's just lazy sensationalist writing. I remember Jason Sehorn being referred to as a pro bowl cornerback just after his injury even though he didn't make the pro bowl.

As fair as Barkley goes its marginal at best.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 21, 2024, 03:39:22 PMYes.  I guess we'll see.  If he's healthy, there's no doubt in my mind he's still a top RB in the league- even after losing a step due to injury.  And he just got paid like one- despite a huge majority of Giants fans on this board proclaiming he'd never see that kind of top-end RB money. 

I don't even think Barkley is a top 10 RB at this point. And this isn't being a hater or sour grapes, it's just reality. Outside of the obvious names, I'd take Gibbs, Cook, Hall, Etienne, Bijan, Walker, and Achane over him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TONKA56 on March 21, 2024, 06:41:49 PMIt's just lazy sensationalist writing. I remember Jason Sehorn being referred to as a pro bowl cornerback just after his injury even though he didn't make the pro bowl.

As fair as Barkley goes its marginal at best.

I don't have an issue with a writer referring to Barkley as a "Pro Bowl running back." If you've made the Pro Bowl in the last two seasons, I think that's fine. I don't take that label to be an automatic implication that he made it specifically last year or that he is expected to make it this coming year. It's more general than that.

I could actually see Barkley making the Pro Bowl this year, but not all pro. I agree with Stringer that he's probably not top 10 material at this point (might be bubble), but the Pro Bowl has a lot to do with name recognition, plus he'll probably do pretty well in the Eagle offense.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Fletch on March 21, 2024, 01:25:15 PMHere is a list of top 10 picks in the draft. Is there really anyone there besides Josh Allen -- who nobody knew would be Josh llen then-- that you are really kicking yourselves over not drafting...

1. Cleveland Browns: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
2. New York Giants: RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State
3. New York Jets: QB Sam Darnold, USC
4. Cleveland Browns: CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State
5. Denver Broncos: DE Bradley Chubb, NC State
6. Indianapolis Colts: OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
7. Buffalo Bills: QB Josh Allen, Wyoming
8. Chicago Bears: LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

Nelson.  I was hoping a trade with Denver for the 5th pick and grabbing the guy who most felt was the most complete Olineman in years.  Let's not forget that the line was piss poor then too.  In his introductory presser TFGM acknowledged that the line was broken and had to be fixed.
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

uconnjack8

Quote from: Fletch on March 21, 2024, 01:25:15 PMHere is a list of top 10 picks in the draft. Is there really anyone there besides Josh Allen -- who nobody knew would be Josh llen then-- that you are really kicking yourselves over not drafting...

1. Cleveland Browns: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
2. New York Giants: RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State
3. New York Jets: QB Sam Darnold, USC
4. Cleveland Browns: CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State
5. Denver Broncos: DE Bradley Chubb, NC State
6. Indianapolis Colts: OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
7. Buffalo Bills: QB Josh Allen, Wyoming
8. Chicago Bears: LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

A lot of people were screaming for Nelson.  If you want to say Nelson has had a better career I wont even argue. 

But...
Does anyone think if you swap Barkley for Nelson and dont change any other draft picks, the Giants would have had a better record over the last 6 years?

FWIW, there were a couple of posters here that were big on Allen, I was not one of them. 

Ed Vette

A want to take a moment to recognize Carl Banks. I understand that he's employed by the Organization and I don't always agree with him but I do most of the time and when I don't, I understand I could be wrong. Not that my opinion matters. He is however the voice of reason very often when fans and Beat Reporters let their emotions get them fired up in this age where everyone has a voice that wants to be heard and needs to have it heard. It empowers us.

He's a man of conviction and always takes the higher ground. Even when he needs to walk the tightrope, when needed he will throw that caveat out there to say, hey... let's not let this escape us.

He's that locker room leader who has carried those skills with him well past his successful career and Giants Nation is lucky to have him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 21, 2024, 10:12:52 PMA want to take a moment to recognize Carl Banks. I understand that he's employed by the Organization and I don't always agree with him but I do most of the time and when I don't, I understand I could be wrong. Not that my opinion matters. He is however the voice of reason very often when fans and Beat Reporters let their emotions get them fired up in this age where everyone has a voice that wants to be heard and needs to have it heard. It empowers us.

He's a man of conviction and always takes the higher ground. Even when he needs to walk the tightrope, when needed he will throw that caveat out there to say, hey... let's not let this escape us.

He's that locker room leader who has carried those skills with him well past his successful career and Giants Nation is lucky to have him.

I never miss a chance to listen to Banks speak.  The man is intelligent, he cares, and he has the best inside sources.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AYM

I don't think we need to bash Barkley. I'd rather just ignore the entire Barkley era and just say it never happened. Nothing of note happened, it's a blank period in Giants history best ignored.