News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL owners vote and pass wild new kickoff rule

Started by LennG, March 25, 2024, 04:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Bill Brown

This is basically the kickoff rule that was used in one of the spring leagues last year. I thought it was a pretty good way to do the kickoff. Far more kicks will be returned instead of the current fair catch or into the end zone take it out to the 25. And it eliminates the violent collisions that occur when players get to run for 30 or 40 yards before blocking someone. I would prefer this new rule as opposed to eliminating the kickoff altogether in the name of safety.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

NEW NFL KICKOFF PROPOSAL.

*Kicking Team: The 10 players cannot move until the ball hits the ground or player in the landing zone or the end zone.

*Receiving Team: All players in the setup zone cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing zone or the end zone.

*Any kick that hits in the Landing Zone (goal line to 20 yard line) must be returned.

*Any kick hits before the landing zone: Touchback to the 40 (as if it went out of bounds).

*Kick hits the Landing Zone, rolls into end zone and is downed: Touchback to the 20.

*Kick lands in end zone or goes out the back: Touchback to the 35.

*Onside Kick: 4th quarter begins, the team trailing has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials. Current onside kickoff rules would apply.

*No fair catch or signal is allowed.

This proposal is just for one year only.

SUMMARY BELOW:

https://x.com/mysportsupdate/status/1770496999437095196?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

It actually promotes kickoff returns. Kickoff returns are fun. I'm certainly interested in giving the rule a shot this year instead of the new pro forma of every kick go out the back of the endzone.

Rosehill Jimmy

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

files58

My brain hurt when I read the new rule with all it's nuances. The folks who thought of this must have been on shrooms when doing so.

Philosophers

This new rule is so much better.  Now we actually see returns instead of 75% touchbacks.

uconnjack8

Quote from: files58 on March 26, 2024, 11:04:56 AMMy brain hurt when I read the new rule with all it's nuances. The folks who thought of this must have been on shrooms when doing so.

This one was created by Special teams coaches in the NFL.

The one thing that has me sort of curious about how it will turn out is the accuracy needed for the kickers.  I guess if they can get between the uprights from 50 yards they should be able to hit the landing zone off the tee.  But what about on a windy day in December?  How many kickoffs will be short? or long?

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 26, 2024, 09:49:52 AMNEW NFL KICKOFF PROPOSAL.

*Kicking Team: The 10 players cannot move until the ball hits the ground or player in the landing zone or the end zone.

*Receiving Team: All players in the setup zone cannot move until the kick has hit the ground or a player in the landing zone or the end zone.

*Any kick that hits in the Landing Zone (goal line to 20 yard line) must be returned.

*Any kick hits before the landing zone: Touchback to the 40 (as if it went out of bounds).

*Kick hits the Landing Zone, rolls into end zone and is downed: Touchback to the 20.

*Kick lands in end zone or goes out the back: Touchback to the 35.

*Onside Kick: 4th quarter begins, the team trailing has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials. Current onside kickoff rules would apply.

*No fair catch or signal is allowed.

This proposal is just for one year only.

SUMMARY BELOW:

https://x.com/mysportsupdate/status/1770496999437095196?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

This feels like something that would be implemented in an elementary school PE class just to make sure everyone has to run on the play.

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on March 26, 2024, 11:41:55 AMThis feels like something that would be implemented in an elementary school PE class just to make sure everyone has to run on the play.

I believe this is essential what the USFL does
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

I feel like having no momentum can negatively effect the kicking team .... You either hit a wall by being stonewalled or you back-tread and wait for the returner to come to you essentially giving up yardage

Gmo11

This is a good idea and I'm glad the NFL is adopting it.  Currently a wide majority of kicks end up as touchbacks which are boring and just waste everybody's time.  Now we will see a lot more returns which means a lot more return TDs.  We will see what kind of effect that has on concussions if you don't have such a huge head start prior to contact.  In theory it should help in that area too.