News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Penix posts some impressive athletic numbers

Started by MightyGiants, March 28, 2024, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 29, 2024, 12:22:08 PMWith QBs what's the minimum hand size teams usually use as a line?

Interesting you should ask that question. Doesn't Penix have the largest hands of the top prospects? If memory serves, Dante Culpepper has smaller hands which was frequently mentioned when his propensity for fumbling was discussed. It became a cautionary point for future drafts. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 03, 2024, 09:57:53 AMInteresting you should ask that question. Doesn't Penix have the largest hands of the top prospects? If memory serves, Dante Culpepper has smaller hands which was frequently mentioned when his propensity for fumbling was discussed. It became a cautionary point for future drafts. 

There has been a few QBs with the small hands issue.  Byron Leftwich is one of the ones I remember. 

Yes Penix has huge hands, and it supposedly good for a few things:

-Pump fakes
-Not fumbling
-Being able to drive the ball downfield in adverse weather conditions.

Penix clicks a lot of boxes.  I really wonder where people would rank him if not for the injuries. 

Ed Vette

Maybe it's from playing Wordle every day and using X as a filler letter, but every time I glance at the thread title, Penix isn't the first read.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals: 9

Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: 9¼

Tom Brady, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 9⅜

Tells me all I need to know about the importance of hand size.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TONKA56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 03, 2024, 01:32:33 PMJoe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals: 9

Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: 9¼

Tom Brady, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 9⅜

Tells me all I need to know about the importance of hand size.

Large hands are an advantage. Is it the the be-all-end-all? Of course not. Can small hands be compensated for? Sure. But it's still better to have larger hands in sports.

uconnjack8

9 inches is the threshold that is generally used.  Guys with hands smaller than that would be the ones scouts and FO types would give a deeper look. 

Having hands on the bigger side is definitely an advantage in some ways. 

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AYM

katkavage

Quote from: AYM on April 06, 2024, 04:03:15 PMIt's starting to appear as if Penix might not be available if the Giants somehow move down from #6. Crazy.
I think if they move down no lower than 15, they can get him. He will be drafted before #20.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: AYM on April 06, 2024, 04:03:15 PMIt's starting to appear as if Penix might not be available if the Giants somehow move down from #6. Crazy.

I wonder if coaches and scouts evaluate injury history differently.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Penix is interesting in a lot of positive ways, but I am having a hard time looking the other way on the fact that he was nothing short of shockingly terrible in by far the biggest game of his life. And let's be very clear- it wasn't just an off day. He was truly horrid in that game. And that was the only legitimately strong D he faced this year. That was much more representative of the challenges he'll face from opponents in the NFL. Pac 12 defenses are not.

If "great players make great plays in huge games", he not only didn't tick that box this past year, but he failed miserably at it. He also turns 24 in a few weeks.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 07, 2024, 06:32:32 AMPenix is interesting in a lot of positive ways, but I am having a hard time looking the other way on the fact that he was nothing short of shockingly terrible in by far the biggest game of his life. And let's be very clear- it wasn't just an off day. He was truly horrid in that game. And that was the only legitimately strong D he faced this year. That was much more representative of the challenges he'll face from opponents in the NFL. Pac 12 defenses are not.

If "great players make great plays in huge games", he not only didn't tick that box this past year, but he failed miserably at it. He also turns 24 in a few weeks.

Which of the QB prospects didn't look awful against a great team this past year?

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 07, 2024, 09:43:41 AMWhich of the QB prospects didn't look awful against a great team this past year?
And not necessarily a great team either.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 07, 2024, 09:43:41 AMWhich of the QB prospects didn't look awful against a great team this past year?

Jayden Daniels. Check out his game against Bama. He was not just good but elite in that game. That was in Tuscaloosa too.