News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Am I being too cynical ?

Started by Brooklyn Dave, March 30, 2024, 01:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

If Schoen drafts a QB at 6 wouldn't it be difficult to fire him and Daboll because they could say we have a QB of our choice not one that was handed to us and we need time to develop him?

DaveBrown74

It probably makes it a little harder for them to be fired after 2024, yes. Particularly Schoen, as GMs just rarely get fired after three years. Daboll could get fired if he has more internal blowups and the team has another very bad season. He could also get fired if the defense is a disaster.

uconnjack8

I agree Daboll's seat could get hot regardless of whether a QB is selected in an early round.  And I highly doubt Schoen would be in the same boat.

Have to admit I hate the potential of drafting a QB and the HC being fired after his rookie year.  When that happens I think it lowers the probability of the QB being successful, which is usually tough odds anyway. 

londonblue

FWIW (probably not much) my opinion is that neither Daboll nor Schoen are on the hot seat. I think Mara hates how many coaches he has sanctioned the firing of in recent years.

If we run it back with Jones and he gets injured or under-performs the owner will co-own that decision and give the GM, HC the chance to reboot in 2025.

This only changes IMO if Daboll has a Judge style full meltdown (not a few tantrums, the proper 'lost it totally' we saw with JJ on both match day and in pressers).
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 30, 2024, 01:19:34 AMIf Schoen drafts a QB at 6 wouldn't it be difficult to fire him and Daboll because they could say we have a QB of our choice not one that was handed to us and we need time to develop him?
BDave: That's an interested aspect to this year's draft that had not occurred to me.

I think you're right, but I don't think Schoen/Daboll would draft a QB for that reason.

If they're worried about retaining their positions, they should be certain to draft a player who can help NOW.

Maybe they DO see a QB who can help now, and if so then they should/will take him and let him compete for the opening-day starting job (especially if Jones' health looks to make it unlikely he'll be ready on Day One.

But IMO the odds are that a high-first-round player is more likely to be at another position than QB, because the Giants have so many holes, multiple positions (other than QB) could choose who'll make an immediate difference, so I don't think they'll ever "force" a QB pick under any circumstances.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 30, 2024, 01:19:34 AMIf Schoen drafts a QB at 6 wouldn't it be difficult to fire him and Daboll because they could say we have a QB of our choice not one that was handed to us and we need time to develop him?

Schoen, by virtue of the GM position, has more seasons.  Considering NYG fired Shurmur the year after Jones was drafted suggests a QB will not save Daboll's job if the team stinks again this season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 30, 2024, 07:46:30 AMSchoen, by virtue of the GM position, has more seasons.  Considering NYG fired Shurmur the year after Jones was drafted suggests a QB will not save Daboll's job if the team stinks again this season.

Shurmur was awful from day one though. Plus he was no better than Mara's third choice when he hired him. Daboll on the other hand came in as a highly desired head coach, and then he proceeded to win NFL coach of the year as a rookie head coach. The two situations are quite different in my opinion.

I am not saying Daboll can't get fired after or even during 2024. It's definitely not impossible, especially if he has internal blow-ups with colleagues along with losing. But I think the bar to fire him after this season will be reasonably high, and I think the current situation differs from that of some of their coaches of the very recent past.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 30, 2024, 07:46:30 AMSchoen, by virtue of the GM position, has more seasons.  Considering NYG fired Shurmur the year after Jones was drafted suggests a QB will not save Daboll's job if the team stinks again this season.

Unless Mara looks at the decision to fire Shurmer after DJ's rookie year as one of the several ways the Giants have "done everything possible to screw this kid up."
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll