News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bills trading Diggs to the Texans for a 2025 2nd rounder

Started by MightyGiants, April 03, 2024, 11:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

Take a look at his stats as last year went along and tell me if this wasn't a GREAT move by the Bills. 

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 03, 2024, 04:09:24 PMWe couldn't match that because we don't have the CAP space.  I know some fans ignore the CAP (not saying you're one of them) and say that is something for the team to deal with, but the reality the CAP is real and ignoring it greatly limits the reality of fan suggestions if not taken into account.

You are correct . It was a knee jerk reaction on my part.

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 03, 2024, 01:22:44 PMStrange, I was told that a franchise QB should be able to overcome mediocre receivers and a bad OL,and yet here the loss of a receiver is treated as the death knell of the Bill's hopes.

What's strange is the false equivalency.  The fans who believe elite QB(s} can overcome their surroundings view this trade as logical.  Ironically, it's the fans who believe a QB's success is predicated on elite WRs that view this trade as a "death knell."  It's the same crew who told us Mahomes would suffer without Hill.    To that point, the sarcasm is really lost on me...

As long as Josh Allen is healthy, the Bill will be competitive.   

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on April 04, 2024, 08:13:16 AMWhat's strange is the false equivalency.  The fans who believe elite QB(s} can overcome their surroundings view this trade as logical.  Ironically, it's the fans who believe a QB's success is predicated on elite WRs that view this trade as a "death knell."  It's the same crew who told us Mahomes would suffer without Hill.    To that point, the sarcasm is really lost on me...

As long as Josh Allen is healthy, the Bill will be competitive.   

Now talking of "false", Mahommes still had Travis Kelcy.   Mahommes when from two elite receiving targets down to one (which is what most successful QBs have to work with).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Don't discount both Dawson Knox and Dalton Kincaid at TE position- both really good receiving threats.  James Cook out of the backfield is also a weapon.  I'm of the mindset that Josh is gonna be fine as long as they add 1 or 2 more young WRs to the mix- in fact if they wind up with one of the better WRs in the draft I wouldn't be shocked if they win OROY- the situation would certainly be ripe in Buffalo for it (Diggs takes a TON of targets in that offense- even if he wasn't efficient with them at all down the stretch).

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 03, 2024, 08:14:30 PMNot even close. The draft is loaded at WR. They could draft one at 23 and have him for 5 years cheap. I would rather have the Bills problem than the Giants right now

Actually, they draft 28.   After the first 3 WRs are gone the closest thing to sure things will be gone.   The Bills could draft a WR at 28 and he might be good, but it's far from certain he would be as good as Diggs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

I wouldn't put too much stock into Diggs' latter half of the year stats.  The Bills changed offensive coordinator after firing Ken Dorsey and the new gameplans and playbook clearly deprioritized Diggs.  That said, the team won a LOT more under that offense.  Feels like wins all around to me.  Bills get something for a player who was disgruntled and potentially no longer a fit and free up cap dollars.  Texans get a good wideout for minimal draft capital. 

MightyGiants

Rick Spielman knows what it's like to trade Stefon Diggs firsthand. The former Vikings GM talks to Charles Davis about why he traded the star wide receiver in 2020 and how the pressure has increased on Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/pressure-rising-on-josh-allen-after-stefon-diggs-trade/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 04, 2024, 10:45:49 AMRick Spielman knows what it's like to trade Stefon Diggs firsthand. The former Vikings GM talks to Charles Davis about why he traded the star wide receiver in 2020 and how the pressure has increased on Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/pressure-rising-on-josh-allen-after-stefon-diggs-trade/

This one certainly turned out well for the Vikings and Spielman

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 04, 2024, 10:53:38 AMThis one certainly turned out well for the Vikings and Spielman

I think it's fair that it turned out reasonably well for the Bills as well.   Diggs helped Josh Allen take his game to the next level.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 04, 2024, 11:01:30 AMI think it's fair that it turned out reasonably well for the Bills as well.   Diggs helped Josh Allen take his game to the next level.

I think Jefferson would have done the same, just at a fraction of the price.  I get the Bills wanted a proven WR and were in win now mode.  Diggs was super productive for them too.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It would have cost them 19mm to keep him this year and instead they got hit with a 31mm dead cap hit. If they cut him in 2025, there would have not been any dead cap hit. Do ya think they wanted him the hell out?

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 04, 2024, 01:11:25 PMIt would have cost them 19mm to keep him this year and instead they got hit with a 31mm dead cap hit. If they cut him in 2025, there would have not been any dead cap hit. Do ya think they wanted him the hell out?

I was looking at that and assumed it had to do with them trading him and bonuses being do on this year's cap.  Thought if he stayed in Buffalo or might have looked different.   

Regardless,  there was smoke last year about him wanting out.