News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is it just me? I wouldn't be mad if we don't draft a QB this year

Started by brownelvis54, April 03, 2024, 02:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 03, 2024, 06:43:19 PMWhen there is a draft Class with several QBs that show promise and a team needs a QB, it's worth the chance if they believe in that kid. If one of the top four are there at six and the Giants don't draft a QB, they better have a good backup plan.

What was the consensus at the BBWC @brownelvis54 ?

IMO they seem to have more pro Daniel Jones fans...and believe the foundation should come first. A couple feel that if at 6 and Joe Alt is there, then we MUST draft him. I would be a little disappointed if that were to happen.
The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 03, 2024, 07:59:38 PMIMO they seem to have more pro Daniel Jones fans...and believe the foundation should come first. A couple feel that if at 6 and Joe Alt is there, then we MUST draft him. I would be a little disappointed if that were to happen.
I got that from my conversations with Gordon. Seems like groups become homogeneous to some extent and it develops into group think.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 03, 2024, 08:06:27 PMI got that from my conversations with Gordon. Seems like groups become homogeneous to some extent and it develops into group think.

Makes sense.
The KING is in the building

ralphpal1

I just think most people dont want to pick a QB just to pick a QB. But if they think he is worth it you better pick him
He can sit a year and learn from D Jones or Drew lock
But to build a team without a QB doesnt always work
Remember the colts a few years ago
They had an awesome team.but never got the QB correct

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 03, 2024, 02:55:17 PMHonestly, as the draft gets closer, a part of me thinks we shouldn't draft a QB this year. Unless one fall to us we really wanted, it makes sense to build the team from the ground up. I would be ok trading back to get picks, but don't want to lose out on a WR or even a blue chip at any position. Throwing a rookie QB behind this line with no weapons makes zero sense to me.

The last time we traded back we lost out on Micah Parsons

londonblue

Quote from: Stringer Bell on April 03, 2024, 07:15:07 PMWay too many holes on this team to waste 47 on a RB.

Also way too many holes at 3T and across DB to use top 4 picks on O. The fastest way to become competitive is to have a sound D and solid OL. The Steelers show this over and over. If a QB is there we love take him or a stud WR in R1 and then build the D!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: ralphpal1 on April 03, 2024, 08:22:16 PMI just think most people dont want to pick a QB just to pick a QB. But if they think he is worth it you better pick him
He can sit a year and learn from D Jones or Drew lock
But to build a team without a QB doesnt always work
Remember the colts a few years ago
They had an awesome team.but never got the QB correct

They had one of the best but he retired because he was getting way too many hits from a porous OL

kingm56

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on April 04, 2024, 04:51:06 AMThey had one of the best but he retired because he was getting way too many hits from a porous OL

?? The year Luck retired, he was sacked just 18x; the line was rebuilt with All-Pro Quentin Nelson and the very solid, and criminally underrated, Braden Smith. If anything, the OL was a strength for the Colts in 2018, finishing as PFFs 3rd best OL. They were young and poised for long-term success.

The most sacks Luck endured in a single season was 41. In 6 seasons, he averaged 29 sacks per season, which is middle-of-the-road.  For comparison sake, the NFLs best OB (Mahomes), averages 25 sacks per season over the same 6 year period.  From 2012 to 2016, Luck did not miss a single game; the injury that cost him the 2017 season was a byproduct of a snowboarding accident that occurred 15 months earlier. 

Luck did not retire because "he was getting way too many hits from a porous OL"; in point of fact, his 2018 Oline was among the NFL's best.  Luck retired because he didn't like the man he was becoming:

"He felt too much pressure, and had to convince himself that he had "some level of control over the outcome" of a random game. So he became someone he didn't want to be -- or, specifically, he tapped into a part of his personality he didn't always relish."

The Colts situation perfectly highlights the question.   Despite having enough talent to win 10+ games a season, the Colts immediately sank to the bottom of the NFL without their top 5 QBs. 

2008 12-4
2009 14-2
2010 10-6
Payton Manning retires
2011 2-14
Luck is drafted
2012 11-5
2013 11-5
2014 11-5
2015 8-8 Luck is injured and only starts 7 games
2016 8-8
Luck Out-For-The Year with a shoulder injury
2017 4-12
Luck Returns
2018 10-6

We can also apply the logic above to Cinci.  Moreover, does anyone believe KC or Buff would post double-digit win seasons without their QBs? 

You can build an amazing foundation; however, it doesn't matter unless you find a prolific passer.   Yes, I hope the Giants draft a QB; however, I won't be 'mad' as I realize the Giants are not in control of circumstance.  The reality is, 4 QBs may be selected before the Giants pick, once again preventing us from drafting our guy.  Fundamentally, I don't believe a WR, T or CB is going to significantly move the dial; in short, the sooner we're out of QB hell, the better.

Painter

I don't want them to trade up for one of the top-3, or to take McCarthy at 6, or to trade back for Penix or Nix nor do I expect them to do so.

Cheers!

miss86

I wouldn't be unhappy if the Giants don't draft a QB. I like some of the QBs in this draft, but I don't want the Giants to draft a QB just to draft one. It has to be a QB the Giants deem worthy of the 6th pick. I certainly don't want them to move up to draft a QB. Too many holes in this team that can potentially be filled in this draft.

3 more weeks. Can't come soon enough.

katkavage

If they don't draft a QB because they don't like any available to them, fine. But that just adds at least two more years of watching a mediocre product perform on Sundays. If you don't improve the most important position on the field you just can't expect much success.

Philosophers

If they dont draft a QB then I hope they trade back and accumulate more draft capital.  Draft a Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, etc., then load up on defense with DT, CB, safety plus draft Jaylen Wright at RB and Zak Zinter at Guard.

We need 3-4 new rookie starters who perform.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on April 04, 2024, 08:03:39 PMIf they dont draft a QB then I hope they trade back and accumulate more draft capital.  Draft a Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, etc., then load up on defense with DT, CB, safety plus draft Jaylen Wright at RB and Zak Zinter at Guard.

We need 3-4 new rookie starters who perform.

I am getting a lot warmer to this idea myself. We just gave up draft assets to get a star in Brian Burns. If we're not getting a QB (which I hope we do), we should think about reversing the impact of the Burns trade by moving back for a good return. If ever there was a draft to have more top 70 picks, it's this one.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 03, 2024, 04:57:24 PMAs badly as we need a new QB on this team, I won't automatically be "mad" if we don't draft one. I will take that to mean that one that we covet was simply not available or realistically obtainable. I definitely don't want to draft a QB sixth overall or, worse, in a trade-up, that we don't feel a high degree of conviction about. I'm also not interested in using the 6th overall pick in the draft to take a QB who projects out to being another Andy Dalton or Ryan Tanneyhill type. That's what the middle rounds are for.

If the Giants really like a QB prospect and view him as a franchise player, and there is a way to get him, I would move mountains to make it happen if it were my decision. But I have no interest in the team forcing a QB pick just because we need one. I think that would be a big mistake.
This has been my stance from Day 1 and continues to be.

I also feel/believe that this is Schoen's and Daboll's mindset as well.

"Is there a QB that we feel will elevate/be the foundation for this team for the next 5-10?" If the answer is "Yes", then they play out different scenarios on how to position themselves to get him. I definitely don't see them picking a guy at 6 or making moves to go up and get him if they aren't fully confident at this point that he can be the face of the franchise.

And if they don't feel anyone fits the bill this year, I wouldn't be upset if they didn't go QB in the first.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: