News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Meet RB Dante Miller, the newest New York Giant

Started by MightyGiants, April 05, 2024, 01:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

From foster care to the Ivy League to the NFL: Meet Dante Miller, the newest New York Giant

QuoteFor almost anyone else, this would have been a story about how an honest mistake and an inflexible bureaucracy robbed a football player of his chance to prove he deserved an opportunity to play in the NFL. But this is a Dante Miller story, so it ends with him signing with an NFL team anyway.

No matter the circumstances, Dante Miller wins.

He already overcame an entire world that seemed rigged against him from the start. He emerged from foster care, matriculated in the Ivy League and the SEC and as of Friday, Miller is a New York Giant.

There were times these past 18 months when that last part seemed impossible. Thanks to a miscalculation by South Carolina's compliance department and the NCAA's hamfisted version of justice, Miller was pulled off the field in 2022 and didn't find his way back until South Carolina's pro day last month.

MORE

https://www.on3.com/news/from-foster-care-to-the-ivy-league-to-the-nfl-meet-dante-miller/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

RB Dante Miller (5'9 190): This was the most impressive performance of the day. Hell, maybe of all the pro days this year. Nicknamed "Turbo", Miller lived up to that name as he was timed officially at 4.27! Which would've been the second fastest of the combine. He didn't stop there as he did 28 reps of 225, which is about as strong as sub 200 pounders get. Add in a 37.5" Vert and 10'9 broad jump. Miller did not play last season due to eligibility issues. In 2022, he only had 6 Carries for 38 yards. His best season was 2021, where he gained 809 yards on 145 touches. He's not projected to be drafted, I don't even think he's a priority UDFA, but after that performance, someone will hopefully give him a chance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1bdd8ij/south_carolina_players_blow_up_pro_day/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

What a cool story.  It would be amazing if things worked out for the young man. 

uconnjack8

No risk signing of a guy that has a lot he wants to prove to the world and has some physical gifts.

Kind of curious as to why the Giants were able to sign him now and didn't have to wait until after the draft.  Is it because of his eligibility issue?

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 05, 2024, 01:32:20 PMNo risk signing of a guy that has a lot he wants to prove to the world and has some physical gifts.

Kind of curious as to why the Giants were able to sign him now and didn't have to wait until after the draft.  Is it because of his eligibility issue?

From the article

A long shot to make a camp suddenly looked like a player who might be a late-round draft pick. Scouts absolutely noticed Miller after pro day. Everyone had questions. But one scout called Miller's agent Tom Mills with the most interesting question: Are you SURE your client is even draft eligible?

So Mills checked with the NFL. Because of the eligibility gaffe, Miller was not eligible for the upcoming draft. He should have been in last year's draft, and failing that, he was eligible for last year's supplemental draft (though no one knew it). That meant Miller wasn't a potential late-round pick. He was a free agent, free to sign with any team he wished right now.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I looked up his date of birth

Dante Davon Miller was born on May 14, 1999

So he will be a 25-year-old rookie (at least he should have tread left on his tires due to lack of playing time)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Amazing story. Speed always has a chance. He gets a head start on any late round pick/UDFA RBs and he will certainly give it everything he has. It would be nice for us and for him if we have got lucky here.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jolly Blue Giant

Super fast and very strong  :ok: ...and being small actually makes him difficult to catch by bigger defensive backs, but also prone to injury. It'll be very interesting to watch how he does this coming season, assuming he makes the cut. Great story

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Painter

Having played for Columbia automatically makes him my favorite Giants player. Eat your heart out, Saquon.  <:-P

Cheers!

Ed Vette

He's shifty. Here's a sample of what he can do. To some Lil Durk...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Seems like a good change-of-pace back. Don't see him as a workhorse back. I wonder if he can catch and if he can, I wonder if he'd make a good return man on STs
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Rosehill Jimmy

Great story that is sure to make the many local news outlets here in NYC.  George Starke could be the Lion with the most success in the NFL(Sid Luckman was before my time  :D).  He was a stalwart RT on the Washington Hogs for 12 years and played in 3 SBs.  He was also the starting center on the Columbia BBall team and I had the chance to see him in person a few times when the Lions travelled north to Rose Hill.
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Painter

While we're at it we should add Marcellus Wiley, I s'pose

Cheers!

Philosophers

This guy just became the most interesting player in the team.  Giants Nation will go bonkers for him.  Best part is he legitimately has a shot.  Giants are thin at talent there.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Painter on April 05, 2024, 04:02:30 PMWhile we're at it we should add Marcellus Wiley, I s'pose

Cheers!

Forgot about him
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"