News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As a Giants fan, would you sign up for this scenario right now?

Started by DaveBrown74, April 06, 2024, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Suppose you were offered the ability to lock in the following scenario:

For the next 12 years, the Giants will be an above average, solid team every single year, but they will never once get past the divisional round of the playoffs during that stretch. However, they will also never once have a losing record. They will be respectable every single year for that 12 year stretch. A good comparison would be the Steelers for the past decade or so. They'll basically be 9-8 or 10-7 every year, but will never be a team that is a true threat to go on a deep postseason run.

Would you sign up for that right now? 2024 would fit the above description, and you'd be locked into it for another 11 years after that. And then after that anything could happen.

Or, you can say no, and we are what we are right now and then you can gamble that you'll hopefully get something better than the above in the next decade or so thereafter.

Which way would you go on this, and why?

Philosophers

I think when you get to a 10-7 spot, you are close enough that a hot run could get you to the SB.  The Giants were not the best NFL team when they win their last 2 SBs but they were the hottest.

londonblue

The second you settle you fail.

We have been abject for a decade and some of the reasons for that are in ownership, structure and certain people still in the building but if we let that lower our expectations to accepting marginally above mediocre then what is the point?

I'd rather have one Super Bowl and mainly miss the play-offs in that period than a decade of 9-8/10-7 and no significant playoff runs.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on April 06, 2024, 11:12:11 AMI think when you get to a 10-7 spot, you are close enough that a hot run could get you to the SB.  The Giants were not the best NFL team when they win their last 2 SBs but they were the hottest.

Right but that's not what this scenario is. If you sign up for it, your outcome in the postseason is capped at the second round no matter what. It is not up in the air. If you say yes, you will not get past the divisional round for the next 12 seasons, period.

If you say no, then anything can happen. But obviously the current situation looks pretty bleak compared to what the Steelers have been for the past decade or so. Even though they have not once been in an AFC championship game during that period. They have still played relevant football every December and have made the postseason most years. That's really the proposition here.

Or you can roll the dice and hope and pray to be something better than the above in the next decade, even though we have been one of the worst teams in the NFL for a decade now.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: londonblue on April 06, 2024, 11:20:46 AMThe second you settle you fail.

We have been abject for a decade and some of the reasons for that are in ownership, structure and certain people still in the building but if we let that lower our expectations to accepting marginally above mediocre then what is the point?

I'd rather have one Super Bowl and mainly miss the play-offs in that period than a decade of 9-8/10-7 and no significant playoff runs.

Of course - anyone would sign up for that. But passing on this offer doesn't guarantee you a Super Bowl, obviously.

Jolly Blue Giant

No way would I sign up for that scenario: being "just better than average" for 12 years, probably for the rest of my life, considering my age. You go for the Lombardi - period!

The Cowboys fit that scenario you posted. Above average, annual let down for the fans. Fans get all pumped up and yelling in the street, "how bout them cowboys", only to smash your TV later when they get eliminated and then bitch and moan to anyone who'll listen to their crap. How long has it been for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl...a quarter-century or something like that? That is NOT something I want out of the Giants!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Ask Robert Kraft. He knows all about happy endings.  /sarcasm/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 06, 2024, 11:25:11 AMOf course - anyone would sign up for that. But passing on this offer doesn't guarantee you a Super Bowl, obviously.

True, but it doesn't guarantee we can't unlike the offer. Give me hope over accepting mediocrity every time.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 06, 2024, 11:43:33 AMAsk Robert Kraft. He knows all about happy endings.  /sarcasm/
My attempt at a double entendre. For those in the back of the room.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

So for the record, I would never sign up for that either, and I'm glad that that seems to be the unanimous response.

I thought there might be more controversy though, just given how embarrassingly bad we have been for so long now and the fact that we have no legit QB on this team and not really a very good chance of getting one this year either.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 06, 2024, 11:23:35 AMRight but that's not what this scenario is. If you sign up for it, your outcome in the postseason is capped at the second round no matter what. It is not up in the air. If you say yes, you will not get past the divisional round for the next 12 seasons, period.

If you say no, then anything can happen. But obviously the current situation looks pretty bleak compared to what the Steelers have been for the past decade or so. Even though they have not once been in an AFC championship game during that period. They have still played relevant football every December and have made the postseason most years. That's really the proposition here.

Or you can roll the dice and hope and pray to be something better than the above in the next decade, even though we have been one of the worst teams in the NFL for a decade now.

Sorry, my bad.  No.

Rosehill Jimmy

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

spiderblue43

Speaking of settling..our ownership settled for that Household Appliance of a Stadium, so what does that tell you? Being competitive is almost a dream scenario after the last decade of failure.

I can't envision the Giants turning the corner unless Schoen has complete control from Mara and his cronies..family, which I still doubt. Even then, he has to prove himself as well.

ralphpal1

kingm56