News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants sign Wide Receiver Myles Boykin

Started by Brooklyn Dave, April 09, 2024, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stringer Bell

Quote from: kingm56 on April 12, 2024, 07:41:34 AMAs it relates to ST, a lot fans have confirmation bias.  The reality is, the Giants averaged 42.3 (net) on punt returns (top 50%).

Thanks to an anemic offence (the real problem), the Giants ranked 3rd in punts (95); the high volume of punts created more opportunity for bigger plays, which is the impetus of the confirmation bias.  Fans remember big plays and assume ST coverage is a real trouble area.  However, on average, they were just slightly above the 50% line.  In short, punt return coverage hasn't been a major problem.

Again, I don't believe Boykin will make the roster; he does provide some size on a very small WR unit. 

There's way more to special teams than punt return coverage. The Giants had FGs blocked, yet I can't remember the last time they blocked one. They gave up huge kick returns, yet I can't remember the last big one they had. And same goes for their own punt returns - pedestrian, at best.

There's absolutely no confirmation bias regarding our ST. They stink and have stunk for a long time.

TONKA56

Quote from: DJN on April 10, 2024, 05:45:40 PMWhen was the last time we had a good return team on special teams ???

Well we certainly can't put any GOOD players on special teams. They might get hurt!!

~X(

kingm56

Quote from: Stringer Bell on April 12, 2024, 09:40:11 AMThere's way more to special teams than punt return coverage. The Giants had FGs blocked, yet I can't remember the last time they blocked one. They gave up huge kick returns, yet I can't remember the last big one they had. And same goes for their own punt returns - pedestrian, at best.

There's absolutely no confirmation bias regarding our ST. They stink and have stunk for a long time.

Are you guessing, or have you looked that numbers? Kick off coverage is middle of the pack, as is punt return at 8.9 yard per return.  Your reply is the very definition of confirmation bias.  You "remember", vice looking at the actual data. 

Stringer Bell

Quote from: kingm56 on April 12, 2024, 12:01:31 PMAre you guessing, or have you looked that numbers? Kick off coverage is middle of the pack, as is punt return at 8.9 yard per return.  Your reply is the very definition of confirmation bias.  You "remember", vice looking at the actual data. 

Hmm, wonder why you didn't mention their 30th ranked kick return average? Or their 31st ranked FG made %. Or their 27th ranked punting average.

Their highest rank in any of the main STs categories is 19th. And with so many ranked in the 30s, not sure what your issue is with saying they stink.

The data backs it up. Despite your unfounded claims of bias.

kingm56

Quote from: Stringer Bell on April 12, 2024, 12:13:13 PMHmm, wonder why you didn't mention their 30th ranked kick return average? Or their 31st ranked FG made %. Or their 27th ranked punting average.

Their highest rank in any of the main STs categories is 19th. And with so many ranked in the 30s, not sure what your issue is with saying they stink.

The data backs it up. Despite your unfounded claims of bias.

This thread has nothing to do with any of the data you posted. It's about Boykin and his potential impact on ST(s).  He's a gunner, potential (unlikely) return man; thus, I limited my comments to the aspects of the game he actually impacts.  I didn't realize he was also going to kick FGs, Punt, etc.  Again, you continue to validate my point.  Because the Giants are poor in some aspects of ST(s), you assumed it extends to the aggregate Special Team play.  As stated, the Giants are adequate, to slightly-above-average, in the areas Boykin impacts. Thus, I don't believe the Giants need a lot of help in this particular ST(s) area, and as a byproduct, don't believe he makes the final roster.