News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Our Offensive Line issues have to be related to coaching right?

Started by shadowspinner0, September 24, 2023, 06:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowspinner0

Because no matter how many guys we sign, how many top OL we draft, we can never fix the OL. We only hit one guy, Thomas (Schmidt is trending up there), the rest are full of high draft picks, FA signings and still the line sucks. So what is it, why is it that this team with multiple coaches, tons of attempts to plug holes never get it fixed? Are we just hiring bad coaches that teach the OL? Other teams have competent OL's and they are never filled with all pros and perennial pro bowlers. The Eagles got a 7th round pick looking like a potential all pro, Patriots had Nate Soler looking like a solid starting OL. So is it coaching? Should we fire Johnson and hire a good OL coach?

True Blue

katkavage

More bad offensive lines than good in the NFL. The Giants are far from being alone on this.

Jaime

Read an article a few years ago that addressed the reason for why it's so difficult to find good NFL OL in the Draft, and Undrafted FA's. Seems any Freshman College OL that demonstrated Pass Rushing ability, or Run stuffing ability, or both, was quickly designated as a DL. This happenstance was brought about by the Player himself as much as the Coaching Staff.

College Coaches want badly to win, so recording Sacks, or stuffing the Run will achieve those magical W's.
The Freshman OL is all too stoked to become a DL worthy of a high Rd. Draft Profile. The 100 Million contracts that DL are being awarded these days are just plain staggering   :o
So there you go Sports Fans...

Rambo89

Quote from: katkavage on September 24, 2023, 07:27:32 PMMore bad offensive lines than good in the NFL. The Giants are far from being alone on this.

Yep, if you watch enough games that don't involve the Giants you can see that this is not a problem unique to the Giants.  I also think it's a problem that is overblown for the Giants.  Not that it isn't an issue but it's not as severe an issue as it's made out to be.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 25, 2023, 06:32:56 AMYep, if you watch enough games that don't involve the Giants you can see that this is not a problem unique to the Giants.  I also think it's a problem that is overblown for the Giants.  Not that it isn't an issue but it's not as severe an issue as it's made out to be.

I agree.

I watch a lot of other NFL games besides the Giants, and the reality is the vast majority of them see QBs deal with varying levels of protection throughout the game. Sometimes they have all day to throw, and sometimes (in the same game) they're getting chased or dealing with a collapsing pocket and taking sacks or throwing it away. I also think who the QB is and what the offensive gameplan is impacts the types of defensive looks an offense sees. We all know some QBs are great at picking up the blitz (Brady the all time classic example but Burrow is a current one), and others struggle with it (Cousins). So to me the whole discussion is nuanced and there are a number of factors at work here. It's not simply a binary, black and white discussion about the caliber of the O line. There is more to it than that.

Additionally, in a number of Giants games, including the last one in San Fran, Jones has had a number of passing downs where he has had time to throw and a pretty clean pocket. In the Arizona game he had excellent protection. The Dallas game was definitely bad, but the 9ers game was somewhat mixed. If you watch it play by play when the Giants were on offense, you can see that the narrative that it was a jailbreak every single time (or even 90% of the time) is simply not accurate. Jones was definitely swarmed on plenty of plays, but there were also passing plays in both halves where he had sufficient time. As someone who watches other NFL teams play, I see similar patterns with other teams.

To be clear, I'm certainly not saying Jones has had it easy with this offensive line. He hasn't. And I also get that he hasn't had an offense with skill players like what say Cousins or Burrow has. But you don't need a perfectly clean pocket on every passing down to put together an effective game, and very few if any QBs actually have that.

katkavage

Most NFL QBs are successful when they have time to throw. It's the ones who can create when there is pressure that are a cut above the others who cannot. I'm not trying to denigrate Jones. I think at this point in his career and what he is now getting paid to perform, we, as fans, have to stop making excuses for him.

MightyGiants

Here's the thing, the Bills didn't exactly have great O-line play while Bobby Johnson was their O-line coach.  That is despite the Bills throwing tons of assets at improving the O-line.

O-line coaches are tasked with both scouting O-line prospects as well as developing them.   The Giants spent 3 picks on the line last year and one this year.  The Giants had Andrew Thomas and Brad Bederson on their roster.  Schoen signed (I assume Bobby Johnson signed off on him) Glowinski.

When a unit is playing as poorly as this one is despite the massive resources devoted to it, you have to take a hard look at the coaching.

I wonder how much losing former assist O-line coach Tony Sparano Jr. impacted the line.  He is now the O-line coach in Indy and he has that line blocking well. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 25, 2023, 08:47:33 AMHere's the thing, the Bills didn't exactly have great O-line play while Bobby Johnson was their O-line coach.  That is despite the Bills throwing tons of assets at improving the O-line.

O-line coaches are tasked with both scouting O-line prospects as well as developing them.   The Giants spent 3 picks on the line last year and one this year.  The Giants had Andrew Thomas and Brad Bederson on their roster.  Schoen signed (I assume Bobby Johnson signed off on him) Glowinski.

When a unit is playing as poorly as this one is despite the massive resources devoted to it, you have to take a hard look at the coaching.

I wonder how much losing former assist O-line coach Tony Sparano Jr. impacted the line.  He is now the O-line coach in Indy and he has that line blocking well. 

That's very true. Coaching is important indeed and to find a good one is not easy. That's on Daboll to assemble a competent staff.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on September 25, 2023, 09:02:16 AMThat's very true. Coaching is important indeed and to find a good one is not easy. That's on Daboll to assemble a competent staff.

I would argue that when it comes to position coaches, the O-line coach is perhaps the most important.  He oversees five starters, and he pretty much works on their own.   I say work on the QB coach (coaching the most important position on the field) is often working with the OC and even the head coach when it comes to coaching and developing the QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 25, 2023, 09:09:53 AMI would argue that when it comes to position coaches, the O-line coach is perhaps the most important.  He oversees five starters, and he pretty much works on their own.   I say work on the QB coach (coaching the most important position on the field) is often working with the OC and even the head coach when it comes to coaching and developing the QB.
I wonder if Andrew Thomas worked with Josh Ezeudu on the side the past two weeks to help prepare him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin