News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Tommy continues and improves even- who can we ship Jones off to?

Started by BluesCruz, November 20, 2023, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

What are the teams out there who need a QB and have a decent oline?

Denver?  Jets?

We should not just let him walk.  He has value if your offense can protect him

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

I'd love to see the person on the other end of the phone stay on the line for more than even 15 seconds if you started the conversation by asking him if he's interested in taking Jones' disaster of a contract off our hands.

You'd have to eat part of the contract and probably give someone else a real asset to make it happen.

Forget it. Zero chance of it. Even the dumbest teams in the league (and there aren't many who are dumber than we have been for the past decade) wouldn't touch Jones with a 10 foot pool (as far as taking his contract from us).

Uni

The only way to unburden the Giants from Jones' contract would be to Osweiler him - - that is, find a team with a ton of cap space and trade Jones, his salary, and a second day pick in exchange for a third day pick.

He'll stay on PUP to avoid the $69mil dead cap hit and cut him loose in 2025.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Only the Raiders are capable of such a blockheaded move. Jones would look good in Black and White.

Actually if Jones comes back and plays well and the Giants drafted a QB but held him back for half the season, this might make him a marketable commodity.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Woody

a better question is ....IF Tyrod comes back who plays ...Tommy or Tyrod ?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 20, 2023, 07:35:46 AMWhat are the teams out there who need a QB and have a decent oline?

Denver?  Jets?

We should not just let him walk.  He has value if your offense can protect him

Not possible.  CAP.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Woody on November 20, 2023, 03:40:56 PMa better question is ....IF Tyrod comes back who plays ...Tommy or Tyrod ?

depends how he finishes the season, but right now, tommy. you know what you have in tyrod. a serviceable injury prone backup who is at the tail end of his career. tommy is an up and coming guy who, if he plays anything like he did yesterday is in serious consideration to take over qb1 next year if jones continues to struggle. lot of if's here. tyrod costs 5 million a year. tommy costs a bottle of wine at a fancy steak house.

Dgoodmantrublu

He will be lucky to be a number 3 in the league. He just doesn't have the requisite arm talent. Teams will game plan on him and then he won't be able to do what he did yesterday. He still needlessly took sacks that no good QB takes. This notion that he has real talent seems ridiculous to me.

SlotCorner

As fans we always over-evaluate our players but some of the DJ talk is getting out of hand. If a third string, UDFA takes Jones' job, what do you think the market for him will be, especially with his gigantic contract? We would have to send multiple picks, and eat a big share of that money just to get a 7th rounder.

If the Giants draft a QB high, Jones next stop will be as one of a couple guys hoping to prove himself on his new team. No one is signing him as a franchise QB again.

Woody

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 20, 2023, 03:55:05 PMdepends how he finishes the season, but right now, tommy. you know what you have in tyrod. a serviceable injury prone backup who is at the tail end of his career. tommy is an up and coming guy who, if he plays anything like he did yesterday is in serious consideration to take over qb1 next year if jones continues to struggle. lot of if's here. tyrod costs 5 million a year. tommy costs a bottle of wine at a fancy steak house.
Do you think they are going with Tommy rest of year if Taylor is healthy in a week or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclayton92

Just think how happy we would all be right now in hindsight if we had just let Jones walk. I think we would be in a significantly better place as a team right now had he not been retained.

Dgoodmantrublu

Even if he had just been tagged. I'm a Schoen guy, but that was a big mistake.

Woody

By reading some of these post.  Tommy Devito will win out .....good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgoodmantrublu

Looking forward to seeing the All-22 on the Big Blue Banter pod. I'm sure well see some big plays that were left on the field.

andrew_nyGiants

The BROWNS have proven to be great QB evaluators...maybe they'll fall for DJ next. LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!