News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you had to make the decision on Daniel Jones right now....

Started by DaveBrown74, October 26, 2022, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the below options would you go with if you had to make a decision today

UncannyGfan

I think they should sign him for big money.  They have no chance at a top rookie QB and what are the odds another franchise QB hits free agency next off-season after their rookie contract?

My biggest concern is his play style and injury history.  But, if he needs to miss a future season due to injury, they'll probably be pretty bad and end up with a high enough draft pick QB or if they succeed without him then they should probably move on from him at point in time and take the cap hit for a season.

Gaming it out, what's the better alternative to signing him to a big contract now?  For both next season and life of the contract?

Jclayton92

If we use a tag on any player this offseason hopefully it's the transition tag as it is top 10 money and not top 5. So could be the difference of 30 million vs 22 million for Jones or 16 million vs 11 million for Barkley I believe. It also still allows first refusal.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 26, 2022, 11:22:41 AMIf we use a tag on any player this offseason hopefully it's the transition tag as it is top 10 money and not top 5. So could be the difference of 30 million vs 22 million for Jones or 16 million vs 11 million for Barkley I believe. It also still allows first refusal.

From Over The Cap

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

None of those options work for me.  He's not a top 8-10 QB now or before.  Franchise him is too expensive.  I would not bail on him either.

I'd offer him a short contract of 2-3 years with comp say of the 12th - 13th QB but tell him that we will rip up this contract if next year he improves more as he has this year.  If he says yes, we're done.  If he says no, then look for another QB.

He's made a huge leap this year but he is not a top 8–10 QB yet.

nb587

I agree with those who say it's too early to make the decision.  My biggest problem with Jones might be his strength, his running.  I don't think the team would want to pay really big dollars on a QB who gets hit as much as he gets both running downfield and in the pocket. Some of the more mobile QBs like Jackson and Murray and maybe Hurts seem to avoid the contact; Jones does not.  He rarely slides to avoid contact; he did at least once against Jacksonville but he got hit a few times like an RB would get hit.  I'm sure they're trying to coach him to slide more and I'm sure he will but while he's a very good athlete, he's not as elastic as these others guys seem to be.  And, his injury record over the past few years is not good.  Let's see what happens over the rest of the season especially health wise.

Ed Vette

@DaveBrown74 why is it so hard to just simply follow directions or pass?  :knockONwood:
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

As of today, based on those options I would say a franchise tag would have to be the only real scenario.

Upcoming passing defenses will greatly determine Jones season overall

Pass Defense Yards:

Eagles #1 , #2 in Passing Completion %, #2 in INT's
Cowboys #7, #8 in INt's, #1 in Sacks, 9th in TD's
Colts #9
Texans #16, #6 in completion %, 3rd Td's
Commanders #19, #5 in completion %, #7 sacks
Lions #31
Vikings #32, 7th Td's

At the end of the season I can see a multiple contract 3yr 82 mill, 45 guaranteed.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Painter

Fortunately for us, rushing to judgement is not to be expected of Schoen & Co as was made clear in their choosing to not pick up DJ's 5th year option. While I do realize that this is just meant to boil the pot, the impatience it would force upon us makes me want to grind my teeth. There is nothing of value to be gained in being rash with roughly 60 percent of the season yet to be played when it is not only unnecessary but is indeed definitive, and quite possibly unwise.

Cheers!

killarich

I think you should add another option ....paying top 8-10 type money im not sure .... I'd give him top 15 maybe .... But I also don't want to franchise tag him .....

I'm more in line with a 3-4 year deal probably a little higher than the Tannenhill deal

If I had to choose then I honestly don't know lol... give him that money or franchise him and see if he can keep it up

But if Jones maintains his play and gets better throughout the year then I probably give him the money

Blue Fire

I can absolutely see the value/argument in tagging him and trying to get another year without a long term commitment. If I were a betting man though I would bet the Giants 'do him right' and sign him long term.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Rambo89

Quote from: killarich on October 26, 2022, 11:55:55 AMI think you should add another option ....paying top 8-10 type money im not sure .... I'd give him top 15 maybe .... But I also don't want to franchise tag him .....

I'm more in line with a 3-4 year deal probably a little higher than the Tannenhill deal

If I had to choose then I honestly don't know lol... give him that money or franchise him and see if he can keep it up

But if Jones maintains his play and gets better throughout the year then I probably give him the money

It's all going to depend upon how he finishes the season.  If he finishes the season strong then I could see his market value being north of $35 million AAV.  When you look at QB contracts around the league the Top half of them are between $29-$50 million AAV.  Only a guy like Tom Brady who has taken a significantly below market value contract is the exception.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 26, 2022, 12:29:26 PMWhen you look at QB contracts around the league the Top half of them are between $29-$50 million AAV.  Only a guy like Tom Brady who has taken a significantly below market value contract is the exception.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

Correct. The baseline is around $30mm, which is roughly the cost of the tag.

Could the Giants work something out with Jones where they pay him something like a $12mm base and load it up with incentives where it can get to something like $25mm or $30mm on a best case outcome? Maybe, but if that happens it will be the first time I have seen a team do that with a QB who just wrapped up his fourth year. Usually they're either in or they're out. So I tend to think the options will look more or less like the ones in this poll, but we'll see.

Giants fans seem very convinced now though. As of right now, 17 out of 20 responses call for paying him at least $30mm next year, and possibly well more than that. It's interesting that people felt they didn't have enough data after three years of him, but after just 7 games of his fourth year, not all of which he has even played well in, folks seem pretty convinced they want to pay him major money.

babywhales

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2022, 01:30:32 PMCorrect. The baseline is around $30mm, which is roughly the cost of the tag.

Could the Giants work something out with Jones where they pay him something like a $12mm base and load it up with incentives where it can get to something like $25mm or $30mm on a best case outcome? Maybe, but if that happens it will be the first time I have seen a team do that with a QB who just wrapped up his fourth year. Usually they're either in or they're out. So I tend to think the options will look more or less like the ones in this poll, but we'll see.

Giants fans seem very convinced now though. As of right now, 17 out of 20 responses call for paying him at least $30mm next year, and possibly well more than that. It's interesting that people felt they didn't have enough data after three years of him, but after just 7 games of his fourth year, not all of which he has even played well in, folks seem pretty convinced they want to pay him major money.

It is an exercise with 3 options determined by the thread author.   

Run a scenario with more options or any and all options and you will get aa much wider array of answers.

This is very much context driven.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Jclayton92

We also don't know how the season finishes for other teams as well. With Jones being a free agent who knows if a Seattle, Colts, or Saints team doesn't wildly over pay him thinking they are a QB away which is significantly more than the Giants are willing to pay him and the Giants stick to their value and he's lured away because a Frank Reich or Pete Carroll think they can replicate the success Daboll has had with Jones this season. Just too early to know all the different possibilities.