News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you had to make the decision on Daniel Jones right now....

Started by DaveBrown74, October 26, 2022, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the below options would you go with if you had to make a decision today

jimv

As far as I'm concerned, He's already played himself in long term plans.

Uni

I don't know the answer to this question:

Is the offense working because of Jones or the system?

If it's the latter, the team should be looking at an upgrade. In many ways, the offense isn't running at full speed because it relies so heavily on limiting Jones' need to process and leaning heavily on his running skills. The latter is an injury waiting to happen.

$35 mil/yr is probably going to be the asking price for a long term contract. I don't know if it's wise to commit that much to a system QB that has had injury concerns. The best course of action is to franchise Jones and see if there are any takers. That gives the team an idea if anyone else in the league thinks he's an elite QB.

Blue Fire

Quote from: Uni on October 26, 2022, 04:38:56 PMI don't know the answer to this question:

Is the offense working because of Jones or the system?

If it's the latter, the team should be looking at an upgrade. In many ways, the offense isn't running at full speed because it relies so heavily on limiting Jones' need to process and leaning heavily on his running skills. The latter is an injury waiting to happen.

$35 mil/yr is probably going to be the asking price for a long term contract. I don't know if it's wise to commit that much to a system QB that has had injury concerns. The best course of action is to franchise Jones and see if there are any takers. That gives the team an idea if anyone else in the league thinks he's an elite QB.

What if it's the combination of both? I mean with a fairly good system under Shurmur he threw for 24 TDs in 12 games (just had to mature from the rookie mistakes/turnovers). Now with a good system again but even lesser receivers than he had on that team he is playing extremely well.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Painter

It is not about doing him right, it's about what the market dictates should they decide to begin negations at the season's end and before he becomes a Free Agent. Of course, they can tag him if the need arises which I imagine they would not wish to do.

Assuming he stays healthy and continues to play a leading role in the team's success, in all likelihood, he will insist on a new deal for either 3 or 4 years depending on how confident he is about his future and how much is guaranteed.  As for the total cost, I'll leave that to the FanGMs to decide.

Cheers!

sxdxca38

Since this is a "hypothetical" situation and "if" he continues to play at the current level or improves, I personally would have no problem giving him a 4–5-year contract at 30 million a year, but we will have to see how this plays out.

As always injury concerns are a concern in of itself.

DaveBrown74

A few have indicated that they're comfortable with giving out a contract for $30mm-$35mm a year to Jones. This price range would suggest a view that he is similar to Tannehill, Wentz, Goff, and Cousins, and a cut below Dak and Carr.

Are these the sorts of QBs that you can win a championship with?

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2022, 08:31:49 PMA few have indicated that they're comfortable with giving out a contract for $30mm-$35mm a year to Jones. This price range would suggest a view that he is similar to Tannehill, Wentz, Goff, and Cousins, and a cut below Dak and Carr.

I would say yes.

For instance, Jared Goff's Rams made the Superbowl in 2018.

Jimmy Garoppolo's 49ers made the Super Bowl in 2019.

From my perspective Daniel Jones is an ascending player, who could "possibly" become better than them, and the Giants I believe can make a super bowl and possibly win it with him.

But definitely a good question Dave

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2022, 08:31:49 PMA few have indicated that they're comfortable with giving out a contract for $30mm-$35mm a year to Jones. This price range would suggest a view that he is similar to Tannehill, Wentz, Goff, and Cousins, and a cut below Dak and Carr.

All of those Qbs also immediately got replaced. Wentz, Garappolo, Goff, and now Tannehill is in the process of being replaced because good enough wasn't good enough especially at that price tag. Cousins wasn't replaced because the Vikings fully guaranteed his contract for some reason.

I am glad you brought up Carr because everyone said all Carr needed was an elite wr, he got one in Adams to pair with a top 10 TE and a top 5 RB and is still on pace to have the exact same stats as previous years with a significantly worse record at 2-4 and 3rd in their division.

todge

What's missing in all these responses is if you don't resign Jones, than who is your QB next year? This team made a lot of progress this year. So you are ok starting over with an unknown commodity? Back into QB hell with a rookie or a rehashed vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sxdxca38 on October 26, 2022, 08:39:22 PMI would say yes.

For instance, Jared Goff's Rams made the Superbowl in 2018.

Jimmy Garoppolo's 49ers made the Super Bowl in 2019.

From my perspective Daniel Jones is an ascending player, who could "possibly" become better than them, and the Giants I believe can make a super bowl and possibly win it with him.

But definitely a good question Dave

What's interesting though is that most of those names are QBs their respective teams (who initially gave them the contract) have wanted to get rid of (or move on from). That can be said of Wentz, Goff, and Jimmy G. And I'd be willing to bet that neither Cousins nor Tannehill will be re-signed by their teams when the time comes.

And even if you go one notch up on the pay scale, you get to Dak and Carr. These guys have not been able to do anything in the postseason either.

If Jones is better than these guys, then that would be great, but then he'll also cost more, and in any case I would need to see more this season than we have seen to this point to entertain such a view myself. I'm not there yet.

My overall point here is that I feel like the $30-$35mm range for a second contract is "no-man's land." To me, either he's genuinely worth top 10 money, or we're better off not spending $30mm for a Wentz equivalent. Just my opinion.

T200

Just because they are paid similarly doesn't mean their performance and value are similar.

Build a good team around them, give them good coaching and ride them to a title.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 26, 2022, 10:26:45 PMJust because they are paid similarly doesn't mean their performance and value are similar.

Build a good team around them, give them good coaching and ride them to a title.

I'm commenting more on the fact that nobody here seems willing to give Jones bona fide top 8-10 money ($40m), but multiple posters seem willing to give him mid-level QB money. If posters are right that that's all he is, then the team should be cautious about handing him a contract that will still amount to a meaningful chunk of the salary cap.

If he's a legit top 8-10 guy, then great, but then the number is clearly going to be higher than $30-$35mm if other GMs around the league agree that he's that good.

kartanoman

Does anyone truly believe that Danny Dimes is not deserving of a contract which gives him a chance to help take the Giants back into contention on a consistent basis. He is probably yielding as much as a QB possibly can with the limitations in the team at the present. Granted, you're going to have to consider Barkley in this equation and, also, another G or C, to bolster the line, plus one or more wide outs that represent a considerable improvement from what they have currently. Potentially strengthening the offensive line further, adding a weapon or two at WR and maybe another TE, to complement Bellinger, should enable Mr. Jones to perform at or near the level of his new contract. If the defense can sustain the success they have achieved thus far, it lends itself to a recipe of the Giants, led by Jones, taking a Giant leap ahead into the upper echelon of the league.

We had similar discussion about Phil Simms back in the day. They gave him an offensive line, solid but unspectacular receivers, and an All World TE, to complement their existing solid TE, make both Simms and Joe Morris even better. Look at how that turned out! The present Giants do have a chance to achieve similar heights.

I'd sign him with a solid top 10-15 QB pay scale laden with incentives should he continue on his current path. But now the spotlight turns on Barkley with this same scenario.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

GMenRF

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2022, 10:48:33 AMIf I put in an option to sign Jones for $10mm-$15mm, 90% would pick that and it wouldn't be interesting. Moreover, I am not convinced that this will in fact be an option on the table. Perhaps getting him for $20m-$25m will, but that's not all that far from the franchise tag number.
Maybe this is the figure that Schoen has in mind but keep in mind the Giants are not going to be the only bidders for DJ.

The Saints, Bucs and Colts are in dire need of QB.  The Commanders might also be looking for a QB by season's end.

Imagine DJ throwing to Scary Terry, Samuel's, Dotson and Dyami Brown.  He will lit up our secondary given the holes we have.  Not to mention we have to account for his scrambling threat.

GMenRF

DJ is already winning now with less talent at WR.  We all saw DJ vs Dallas week 3.  Prime time game versus a division rival.  He and Saquon were probably the only Giants that showed up to play in that game.  Under duress for pretty much the whole game with Shep and Golladay dropping key passes but DJ kept us in that game.  At one point leading in that game.  Divisional games for us are like playoff games.

If not for Sills slipping we might be talking about a different outcome.  DJ has played in pressure situations and has shown he can lead the team down the field.  He has shown that his rookie year and he's made a habit of it this year.

I know it's hard to forget what DJ has looked liked the past 2 years.  But we can argue, DJ did not look like that under Shurmur and sure as he'll does not look like that under Daboll.