News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Nice Article on Fabian Moreau

Started by Ed Vette, October 29, 2022, 07:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"But when he first came in and we started talking to each other about picks and stuff, he told me his stats, so I kind of knew from the jump that he could really play," McKinney said. "You are always grateful when you can get a guy who has been in the league and has played a lot of games and made plays.

"It has been fun to play with him because ... I'm comfortable with him. I know he knows what he has to do and he gives me tips that we bounce off each other during the game about what we might see. We work well together and he really provides a huge help to our group. He's helping all the younger guys grow."

More...

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/10/giants-fabian-moreau-has-gone-from-out-of-work-cornerback-to-team-leader-in-a-new-york-minute.html?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

One thing I like to do with guys like this is going back to their original scouting reports.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/fabian-moreau/32004d4f-5209-5343-5b58-7df71cf62da8

I also did a little digging.  While the Giants are his 4th team, he was only released once, and that was by the Texans after this past preseason.  Prior he was a 3rd round pick of Washington where he played out his 4-year contract.  He signed a 1-year contract with the Falcons and then signed with the Texans this past offseason.

So he isn't your typical journeyman (usually this many teams suggest that)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

To me, the key question is why the Redskins didn't re-sign him after his rookie contract was played out.

THAT is the only reason I wasn't excited to see him become a Giants.

I only checked briefly and couldn't find anything and now ran out of time (busy day... gotta get done with my work so I can FINALLY see a Giants game live at 4:30 LOL).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2022, 10:03:17 AMTo me, the key question is why the Redskins didn't re-sign him after his rookie contract was played out.

I only checked briefly and couldn't find anything and now ran out of time (busy day... gotta get done with my work so I can FINALLY see a Giants game live at 4:30 LOL).

Bob

When Washington changed coaching staffs (Ron Rivera took over) his snaps plummeted.   Could be a case of not being a good fit for Rivera's defensive schemes
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2022, 10:03:17 AMTo me, the key question is why the Redskins didn't re-sign him after his rookie contract was played out.

Bob

Doing a little research (thank you Google) and think I figured out why. Washington was using him in the slot where he didn't do well...for whatever reason. The two outside corner positions were already set in stone with Quinton Dunbar and Josh Norman who had been a star at Charlotte. According to Profootballfocus.com (PFF), "In five of his past nine games, Moreau predominantly played in the slot. Four of them are his worst-rated games. His three highest-rated games came when he played either right or left corner. And the numbers aren't even close. His average grade in his five games as the slot is 43.7; his average grade in his four played outside is an above-average 68.5.

Last week, he had an excellent overall PFF grade of 78.7 and an outstanding coverage grade of 88.4, no doubt helped by his two interceptions, the second of which preserved the victory for Washington
."

Basically trying to put a square peg into a round hole because they already named their starting corners. A true press corner couldn't make it as a slot corner

From the Washington Post: "At 204 pounds, Moreau has always been physical enough to play on the outside, but with Norman and Dunbar holding those jobs, Moreau has often been pushed inside. Former coach Jay Gruden said last fall that Moreau would be a better fit outside. When Dunbar missed several games at the end of the season, Moreau played there and did well enough for Gruden to suggest it could be his eventual starting spot."

The move to the outside was a success...until Norman returned. Meanwhile, Jimmy Moreland played the slot while Moreau was temporarily on the outside and Moreland did exceptional, getting PFF grades around 70 each week. Once Norman returned, Moreau was the odd man out

Moreau told Gruden before being drafted, "I'm a physical press corner. I like to get in the receiver's face. I like to challenge them. I like to make plays, and just be that dog out there helping my team win" (credit Commanders.com)

Coach Gruden explained that the Redskins' interest in Moreau stemmed from the cornerback's toughness and speed. "You can never have too many guys that are physical and can run," were his exact words

The trouble seems to be that they already had their no.s 1 and 2 starting corners and they tried to make him their slot corner which didn't work out

At UCLA's pro day, Moreau tore a pectoral muscle while performing his bench press causing his draft stock to fall. Washington felt they got a steal in the 3rd...which apparently they did, they just didn't have a spot on the team where he could be used to their fullest advantage

Atlanta was excited to get him after he didn't sign with Washington. But Atlanta was having all kinds of trouble in their defense and needed a pass rush which was non-existent. Moreau was lined up opposite 1st rd pick Aundell Terrell Jr. and in Atlanta's very first game, Moreau was abused by his old teammate Terry McLaurin who had a field day against him. It left a sour taste in the coaches' mouths and Moreau was never able to reverse their opinion of him

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 30, 2022, 10:38:39 AMDoing a little research (thank you Google) and think I figured out why. Washington was using him in the slot where he didn't do well...for whatever reason. The two outside corner positions were already set in stone with Quinton Dunbar and Josh Norman who had been a star at Charlotte. According to Profootballfocus.com (PFF), "In five of his past nine games, Moreau predominantly played in the slot. Four of them are his worst-rated games. His three highest-rated games came when he played either right or left corner. And the numbers aren't even close. His average grade in his five games as the slot is 43.7; his average grade in his four played outside is an above-average 68.5.

Last week, he had an excellent overall PFF grade of 78.7 and an outstanding coverage grade of 88.4, no doubt helped by his two interceptions, the second of which preserved the victory for Washington
."

Basically trying to put a square peg into a round hole because they already named their starting corners. A true press corner couldn't make it as a slot corner

From the Washington Post: "At 204 pounds, Moreau has always been physical enough to play on the outside, but with Norman and Dunbar holding those jobs, Moreau has often been pushed inside. Former coach Jay Gruden said last fall that Moreau would be a better fit outside. When Dunbar missed several games at the end of the season, Moreau played there and did well enough for Gruden to suggest it could be his eventual starting spot."

The move to the outside was a success...until Norman returned. Meanwhile, Jimmy Moreland played the slot while Moreau was temporarily on the outside and Moreland did exceptional, getting PFF grades around 70 each week. Once Norman returned, Moreau was the odd man out

Moreau told Gruden before being drafted, "I'm a physical press corner. I like to get in the receiver's face. I like to challenge them. I like to make plays, and just be that dog out there helping my team win" (credit Commanders.com)

Coach Gruden explained that the Redskins' interest in Moreau stemmed from the cornerback's toughness and speed. "You can never have too many guys that are physical and can run," were his exact words

The trouble seems to be that they already had their no.s 1 and 2 starting corners and they tried to make him their slot corner which didn't work out

At UCLA's pro day, Moreau tore a pectoral muscle while performing his bench press causing his draft stock to fall. Washington felt they got a steal in the 3rd...which apparently they did, they just didn't have a spot on the team where he could be used to their fullest advantage

Atlanta was excited to get him after he didn't sign with Washington. But Atlanta was having all kinds of trouble in their defense and needed a pass rush which was non-existent. Moreau was lined up opposite 1st rd pick Aundell Terrell Jr. and in Atlanta's very first game, Moreau was abused by his old teammate Terry McLaurin who had a field day against him. It left a sour taste in the coaches' mouths and Moreau was never able to reverse their opinion of him
Great find Jolly!

JS needs to lock this guy down for a few years he isn't even in him prime run yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclayton92

Great find as a player and article!