News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

News from day 2 rookie mini-camp

Started by MightyGiants, May 11, 2024, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 12, 2024, 11:05:34 AMThomas was injured very early in the game and Waller had been injured prior to the game and was not playing like he had in camp.

So your argument is that if both of those players had been 100% healthy in all four quarters, we would have instead looked good in that game instead of losing 40-0?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 12, 2024, 11:07:18 AMSo your argument is that if both of those players had been 100% healthy in all four quarters, we would have instead looked good in that game instead of losing 40-0?

I am not sure what the point of that extreme binary question is.   Are you suggesting the offense wouldn't have looked significantly better with their two most important players healthy?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 12, 2024, 11:11:35 AMI am not sure what the point of that extreme binary question is.  Are you suggesting the offense wouldn't have looked significantly better with their two most important players healthy?

My original point was that you had people on this forum saying the Giants were going to be "something special" in 2023 based on their observations over the summer through the preseason, and that the eventual reality on the ground was in stark contrast to that. I further noted that that disconnect has occurred plenty of times in the past, both with us and with other fan bases around the league. I specifically noted the disconnect between the intense optimism seen here and the woefully poor performance in week one, which is generally the most reflective week of how well prepared the team was over the various stages of camp and the preseason.

You seemed to disagree with (and want to discredit) my observation by pointing out that Waller, who played the whole game and for another 7 weeks after that, wasn't 100% perfectly healthy and that Andrew Thomas missed some of the game. I personally don't agree that those two issues are why we lost 40-0 or that had every relevant member of the team been 100% healthy (an extreme rarity for any NFL team in any game), that things would have been dramatically different in that game.

To me that game illustrated a lack of preparation of the team and also the team's lack of overall talent and depth. To isolate one or two injuries, even to starters, simply does not debunk the above.

Trench

The biggest problem in that Dallas Game was Jones played scared and had a deer in headlights look. One thing he must improve upon is success on national tv games. He melts in those spots

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 12, 2024, 11:11:35 AMI am not sure what the point of that extreme binary question is.   Are you suggesting the offense wouldn't have looked significantly better with their two most important players healthy?

Guys - almost all of the pressure in the Dallas game came from the right side of the OL.  Thomas and Waller would not have mattered.  Neal got destroyed by 9 tech edges and 5-7 tech twists.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 12, 2024, 11:20:04 AMMy original point was that you had people on this forum saying the Giants were going to be "something special" in 2023 based on their observations over the summer through the preseason, and that the eventual reality on the ground was in stark contrast to that. I further noted that that disconnect has occurred plenty of times in the past, both with us and with other fan bases around the league. I specifically noted the disconnect between the intense optimism seen here and the woefully poor performance in week one, which is generally the most reflective week of how well prepared the team was over the various stages of camp and the preseason.

You seemed to disagree with (and want to discredit) my observation by pointing out that Waller, who played the whole game and for another 7 weeks after that, wasn't 100% perfectly healthy and that Andrew Thomas missed some of the game. I personally don't agree that those two issues are why we lost 40-0 or that had every relevant member of the team been 100% healthy (an extreme rarity for any NFL team in any game), that things would have been dramatically different in that game.

To me that game illustrated a lack of preparation of the team and also the team's lack of overall talent and depth. To isolate one or two injuries, even to starters, simply does not debunk the above.

Andrew Thomas did more than just "miss part of the game", he got on the FG attempt that ended the first drive.  Why understate the magnitude of Thomas' injury and its impact on the game?

Quote from: Philosophers on May 12, 2024, 01:22:39 PMGuys - almost all of the pressure in the Dallas game came from the right side of the OL.  Thomas and Waller would not have mattered.  Neal got destroyed by 9 tech edges and 5-7 tech twists.

That is true.  Although once Thomas was injured, the Giants could no longer afford to send the O-line help to Neal and leave Thomas on an island
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Jones was horrible that game let's not forget that. He melted

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on May 12, 2024, 01:03:50 PMThe biggest problem in that Dallas Game was Jones played scared and had a deer in headlights look. One thing he must improve upon is success on national tv games. He melts in those spots

Quote from: Trench on May 12, 2024, 02:40:13 PMJones was horrible that game let's not forget that. He melted

Jones dropped back 28 times in that game.  Of those 28 dropbacks, he was sacked 7 times, hit 6 times, and hurried 24 times.   Do you think that it's possible (even if remotely) that might have impacted DJ's game?  Plus it was pouring rain
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 12, 2024, 02:54:08 PMJones dropped back 28 times in that game.  Of those 28 dropbacks, he was sacked 7 times, hit 6 times, and hurried 24 times.   Do you think that it's possible (even if remotely) that might have impacted DJ's game?  Plus it was pouring rain

And he had fast feet. Eyes wide open and scared look, locked on every receiver and made horrible decisions. You can attempt to defend it that's fine by me, but he looked overmatched and nervous.

Philosophers

Quote from: Trench on May 12, 2024, 02:58:20 PMAnd he had fast feet. Eyes wide open and scared look, locked on every receiver and made horrible decisions. You can attempt to defend it that's fine by me, but he looked overmatched and nervous.

What do you expect? QB behavior changes when trust in OL breaks down.

uconnjack8

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 12, 2024, 11:07:18 AMSo your argument is that if both of those players had been 100% healthy in all four quarters, we would have instead looked good in that game instead of losing 40-0?

Get your facts straight, my very good friend. It was 0-41. Again zero, fourty-one!

Lest we forget!

(Seriously, but in jest!)

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

All right, all-right, now!

C'mon everyone! We all know this is a public engagement opportunity for the press to meet the kids. But, it's also an indoctrination for each of them into the New York Football Giants and get them all registered into the Giants' everything (e.g. human resources, health, physicals, meetings, getting fitted for their equipment, etc. ... no different from your first days at boot camp).

They entered 1925 Giants Drive as college kids. They'll walk out as New York Football Giants.

Simple as that. That is, until they go through their real "boot camp" this summer.

We wish them all well.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)