News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- Caitlin Clark offer

Started by Bill Brown, March 27, 2024, 06:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Brown

Ice cube has offered to pay her 5 million to play 10 games. The average Big3 player gets 100k to play 10.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

madbadger

Quote from: Bill Brown on March 27, 2024, 06:56:49 PMIce cube has offered to pay her 5 million to play 10 games. The average Big3 player gets 100k to play 10.

Bill

If there's ever been a player who deserves it....

uconnjack8

To play 10 games where?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 28, 2024, 06:21:39 PMTo play 10 games where?

Yeah I didn't understand either. Is this to play 10 games against him? Who are the 10 games again?

Sorry - I missed this story. I don't know anything about this. OP, can you please give some more detail?

Bill Brown

The schedule for a season in The Big3 league is 10 games. They play on Saturdays.  Each week the games are played in a different city. A couple of years ago they paid the players 10k a game so a player could earn 100k for the season.

Ice Cube offered Caitlin Clark 5 million to play a 10 game season.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2024, 06:35:21 PMYeah I didn't understand either. Is this to play 10 games against him? Who are the 10 games again?

Sorry - I missed this story. I don't know anything about this. OP, can you please give some more detail?

He has a 3 on 3 league so the games would be in that framework. His league doesn't conflict with the WNBA so she can have her cake and at it too.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2024, 06:35:21 PMYeah I didn't understand either. Is this to play 10 games against him? Who are the 10 games again?

They play on CBS during the summer I believe but 3 v 3 league of retired NBA guys or guys from the G league that fell out.

spiderblue43

She is focusing on her brand image, which is into the millions. Don't think she'll do it. She's a pioneer already and doesn't need the cash spectacle.

madbadger

Quote from: spiderblue43 on March 29, 2024, 09:27:46 AMShe is focusing on her brand image, which is into the millions. Don't think she'll do it. She's a pioneer already and doesn't need the cash spectacle.

Nope. WNBA players max salary is $235,000. She's gonna make 14 years worth of WNBA salary in one summer if she takes this deal. She'd be stupid to pass it up.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 29, 2024, 11:03:30 AMNope. WNBA players max salary is $235,000. She's gonna make 14 years worth of WNBA salary in one summer if she takes this deal. She'd be stupid to pass it up.

Exactly.

With that said, my hope is that she'll be a change agent for women's basketball. If anyone has the potential to do that, it's her.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2024, 11:11:48 AMExactly.

With that said, my hope is that she'll be a change agent for women's basketball. If anyone has the potential to do that, it's her.

I don't think women's sports will ever approach the popularity of the men's version of the sport. They're clearly talented but unless you love fundamentals more than pace of play there really is no reason to watch the WNBA over the NBA.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 29, 2024, 11:14:57 AMI don't think women's sports will ever approach the popularity of the men's version of the sport. They're clearly talented but unless you love fundamentals more than pace of play there really is no reason to watch the WNBA over the NBA.

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest it would come close to the NBA. I don't think that for a second. I meant more that I hoped it could gain more popularity than it currently has, which, prior to Clark, has been pretty close to zero, despite ESPN's efforts to equalize the narrative of the two sports.

Women's tennis might be a comp of what I would hope women's hoops could one day be (relative to its male counterpart).  With a major star like Caitlin Clark acting as something of a pioneer, I think the sport could gain some popularity over the coming decade.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2024, 11:18:47 AMYeah I didn't mean to suggest it would come close to the NBA. I don't think that for a second. I meant more that I hoped it could gain more popularity than it currently has, which, prior to Clark, has been pretty close to zero, despite ESPN's efforts to equalize the narrative of the two sports.

Women's tennis might be a comp of what I would hope women's hoops could one day be (relative to its male counterpart).  With a major star like Caitlin Clark acting as something of a pioneer, I think the sport could gain some popularity over the coming decade.

Is women's tennis popular now that the William's sisters are retired? I think Clark will have a similar impact on womens basketball but once she's done I see the sports popularity regressing to the mean without her being the face of the sport. I find the open hatred towards Clark from current and former WNBA troubling. A rising tide lifts all boats yet they seem hell bent on sinking the boat.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 29, 2024, 11:48:51 AMIs women's tennis popular now that the William's sisters are retired? I think Clark will have a similar impact on womens basketball but once she's done I see the sports popularity regressing to the mean without her being the face of the sport. I find the open hatred towards Clark from current and former WNBA troubling. A rising tide lifts all boats yet they seem hell bent on sinking the boat.

I'd say the gap in popularity (and pay) between women's and men's professional tennis versus basketball is smaller. I think Wimbledon (for example) pays the women's champ the same amount as the men's champ. No doubt male tennis stars make much more than women overall (when you count all income), but it's nothing like basketball. Serena's net worth is estimated at $300mm. Granted she is iconic.

I think women's tennis is less of a draw now that Serena is done, yes. They don't have a superstar of that magnitude right now, although Cocoa Gauff has a chance to be fairly substantial.

I'd like to think Clark can elevate the WNBA somewhat when she gets there. It will never come close to the NBA for the reasons you cited, but maybe it can get a little more interest (and hence money for the players).

Philosophers

Let's see how she does in the WNBA first.