News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Walking

Started by DaveBrown74, May 18, 2024, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I know there have been exercise threads before, but I'm curious specifically about walking. Everyone knows how beneficial walking is, but plenty don't get enough. I have improved my walking total, but there is still room for improvement. 10,000 steps (the recommended daily amount) is approximately five miles. I'm curious if people here hit/exceed that total on a daily basis.

LennG

Dave

Unless we are traveling somewhere and we do lots of walking/hiking I really don't believe I do that total in a week. I'm not proud of it but that's the way it is. I have two bad knees and whenever I tend to overdo things, they hurt for a while, so if I can get somewhere riding, that's the way I go. My wife always encourages me to get out and walk. Maybe if I lived in a different environment I would but I hate to ride to a place to walk and I really don't like walking on my town's streets all the time.

I hope you achieve your goal.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on May 18, 2024, 07:40:34 PMDave

Unless we are traveling somewhere and we do lots of walking/hiking I really don't believe I do that total in a week. I'm not proud of it but that's the way it is. I have two bad knees and whenever I tend to overdo things, they hurt for a while, so if I can get somewhere riding, that's the way I go. My wife always encourages me to get out and walk. Maybe if I lived in a different environment I would but I hate to ride to a place to walk and I really don't like walking on my town's streets all the time.

I hope you achieve your goal.

Lenn,

I am sorry about your knees. That's a drag. And it's understandable why you do not walk more.

Bill Brown

I'm in the same boat as Lenn. A year ago I was diagnosed with bone on bone knees. Before that for a few years I was walking between 15 and 20 thousand steps a day. I'm taking collagen every day and over the last few months I feel that there may be some improvement. I currently get about 5k steps a day and hope I can work up to 10k.

Good luck with your walking program. I'm a believer that it's good for you.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bill Brown on Today at 09:09:52 AMI'm in the same boat as Lenn. A year ago I was diagnosed with bone on bone knees. Before that for a few years I was walking between 15 and 20 thousand steps a day. I'm taking collagen every day and over the last few months I feel that there may be some improvement. I currently get about 5k steps a day and hope I can work up to 10k.

Good luck with your walking program. I'm a believer that it's good for you.

Bill

Very impressive Bill, and I'm sorry to hear about your knees as well. I hope the collagen is providing some relief. And I would add that 5k/day is a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 18, 2024, 04:31:30 PMI know there have been exercise threads before, but I'm curious specifically about walking. Everyone knows how beneficial walking is, but plenty don't get enough. I have improved my walking total, but there is still room for improvement. 10,000 steps (the recommended daily amount) is approximately five miles. I'm curious if people here hit/exceed that total on a daily basis.

DB: "10,000 steps" is for old-timers like me. For you, I'd consider 20,000 steps (mostly on flat terrain).

By the way it's not really the number of steps that is important.

The important thing is to engage in a minimum of 45 minutes (but go for 1 hour) of elevated heart rate caused by slightly-more-than casual "strolling" (that means to ensure that you are pushing yourself at least slightly).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!