News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If one of the three QBs Schoen passed on has an outstanding season

Started by MightyGiants, May 01, 2024, 08:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 01, 2024, 10:41:32 AMSo then what is your baseline expectation for Jones this season?

What will be a good season for you? Is that 4,000 yards 20 tds and 5 int or what?

You obviously think Jones will ascend, so was does that look like in production?

Good question, and thanks for asking it in a respectful and civil manner, that meant a lot.

Considering in 2022 he threw for 3,200 yards and rushed for 700, while only playing in 16 games and not the 17th one as they had already clinched the playoff spot.

I think with the addition of Nabers, and Robinson and Hyatt ascending, combined with them addressing the right side of the line, I'm looking for production something like this:

3,500-4,000 Passing Yards
400-500 Rushing Yards
66%
22-30 TD's
10-12 Int
93.0-98.0 RTG
60.0 QBR

Something along those lines, with the Giants have a winning record.

At least this is what I am hoping for, will it happen? We will just have to see how the season transpires.

and you? What do you think he puts up this year?

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 01, 2024, 10:46:54 AMI am not a big fan of just statistical measures to say what is a successful season (as that removes context), but I will offer up what I would consider a successful season by Jones:

1)  No more than two games lost to injury, ideally less

2)  A QB rating of at least 95

3)  A QBR of at least 60

4)  As I mentioned previously, I would like to see his YPA hit 7.0 or better

I am not saying Jones will hit these marks, as I can't predict the future.  I do think there is a reasonable chance he will, but I am not going to go far as to say he is favored to do so.
He could have a high qb rating, and qbr but still end up with 3000 yards, 12 tds and 5 ints and that would be successful to you?

londonblue

Our roster is our roster. Free agency/draft season we get to play at being GM and armchair critics. From Rookie Mini Camp onwards we should embrace being fans again. I intend to support every player on our roster and hope they succeed, irrespective of any personal reservations. Come on Daniel Jones, Evan Neal et al. Play like Giants!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 01, 2024, 10:55:06 AMHe could have a high qb rating, and qbr but still end up with 3000 yards, 12 tds and 5 ints and that would be successful to you?

With a minimum of at least 15 games, those numbers seem unlikely.  Still, I can't answer that question without knowing why, despite being in the top 10 when throwing the ball, the team elected to have Jones throw so few passes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: T200 on May 01, 2024, 10:00:49 AMI think that's the difference between being a franchise QB and not.
I wouldn't use those two examples either. Arizona was pitiful and as it turned out, picked a few spots before the Giants. He played well in the win against Minnesota. At the time I had no doubt the Giants would win that game; they were the better team. Minnesota's defense was abysmal. No mention of the stinker the following week?

AYM

To answer the OP - not necessarily. Who's to say these QBs would be good here?

Trading for Eli looked bad at first when SD got Shawne Merriman as part of the deal. After a couple of years, Merriman's just a footnote.

Uncle Mickey

Hopefully its DJ having an equally good year behind a revamped OL and Pass catching game.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 01, 2024, 08:51:22 AM1)  Should Schoen be fired for passing on a good quarterback?

2)  Would you say that QBs perform differently in different situations and the Giants offense minus Nabers would have made it difficult to draft and develop a QB (who wasn't at least an elite prospect)?

3)  Would Jones performing very well, give Schoen and company a pass on one of the 3 later drafted QBs doing well?

2 And 3. theres no empirical evidence that early 1st round qb's shake out. especially guys who were REALLY overdrafted such as in this draft.

2, because as you stated, different guys respond different to different situations. and not having nabers (and especially having our core before nabers), would be so detrimental to any of their growths.

3, because if jones plays well...then we already have our guy, AND we got a blue chip WR. one of the scenarios i had been thinking about (although probably unlikely), would be WHAT IF jones actually goes 4k/25/12 this year, and we have a winning record? then what? do you still cut him end of the year? keep him? then what do you do with your 1st round qb? try to trade him for a mid round pick in 2 years?

i think we did the right thing, all things considered.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: TONKA56 on May 01, 2024, 09:31:10 AMI really had an awakening when I saw DeVito's pocket awareness vs Jones.

keep in mind, we had a healthy thomas and mostly stabilized line by that point. the games jones played in the oline was in shambles and performing horribly. they got marginally better as the year went on and got relatively healthy. i believe jones would have looked better at that time as a result of that, just as devito and tyrod looked more competent at times.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 01, 2024, 09:45:17 AMIf Jones stinks as he is very likely to do, and JJ goes on to have a great season with Minnesota (as he is also likely to have with Jefferson over there) Schoen's seat gets a little hotter but I'm not sure they fire him.

What's interesting to me is it would almost be a more fireable offense if the Giants won 7-8 games next year than it would be if they won 3.  If they end up with one of the top 2 or 3 picks in the draft next season he can take his QB and the Giants are set for a while (presuming that QB doesn't also stink which if he does he's fired soon anyway) But if they win 7 games and pick around 9 or 10 in the draft and are no longer in a position to take a QB, when he was in prime position to take one this year, and then JJ looks good in Minnesota...that to me is worse. I could see Mara and Co. asking him what the hell are we supposed to do now? And in this scenario... there's not a really good answer to that question.

i think if it comes down to it, and we MUST make a move up next year, its a better year to do it than it has been in a long time. we have some CORE players. we have 2 young stud pass rushers locked up, an elite dt locked up, a semi elite mlb locked up, a number one corner locked up, a blue chip wr locked up, a franchise LT locked up. hopefully a franchise C locked up.

With all that being said, if there was ever a year in which i could see us trading up with our 1st round, and following 1st round pick, it would be the 2025 draft. not saying we are "a qb away", but we for the first time in a long time have a lot of core, normally high draft capital guys locked up.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: B1GBLUE on May 03, 2024, 11:05:33 AMi think if it comes down to it, and we MUST make a move up next year, its a better year to do it than it has been in a long time. we have some CORE players. we have 2 young stud pass rushers locked up, an elite dt locked up, a semi elite mlb locked up, a number one corner locked up, a blue chip wr locked up, a franchise LT locked up. hopefully a franchise C locked up.

With all that being said, if there was ever a year in which i could see us trading up with our 1st round, and following 1st round pick, it would be the 2025 draft. not saying we are "a qb away", but we for the first time in a long time have a lot of core, normally high draft capital guys locked up.

Another point I heard from some talking head is that with so many QBs taken high in the draft this year there may be less competition for QBs in next year's draft, if the Giants go looking.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 03, 2024, 11:31:30 AMAnother point I heard from some talking head is that with so many QBs taken high in the draft this year there may be less competition for QBs in next year's draft, if the Giants go looking.

6 QB needy teams were taken off the board

Likely needy teams (that the Giants would be in competition for) next year:

Raiders
Jets
Maybe the Titans
Maybe the Saints
Maybe the Seahawks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE