News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is your long-term solution at LG?

Started by brownelvis54, April 21, 2024, 04:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

I was watching a video on Andrew Thomas, and he was talking about his new Coach. The interviewee brought up and solid observation, who is the guy to build chemistry, long term familiarity at left guard, to give Thomas a player he could grow with. Thomas as of now is 25 years old, it would be nice to add a LG that Thomas can gel with.

What are our options at LG, how would you address the position?

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 21, 2024, 04:04:36 PMI was watching a video on Andrew Thomas, and he was talking about his new Coach. The interviewee brought up and solid observation, who is the guy to build chemistry, long term familiarity at left guard, to give Thomas a player he could grow with. Thomas as of now is 25 years old, it would be nice to add a LG that Thomas can gel with.

What are our options at LG, how would you address the position?

I don't think the long term solution is on the team, myself. I think they will likely draft a guard, and hopefully by the end of day two. Unless they botch the pick (as they have seemingly done with other O line picks), that will be the long term solution. I just don't think there is one on the team right now. We have guys who can play the position, but I don't think any are the long term answer.

Jclayton92

I'm confused, didn't we sign 4 guards in FA? I was under the impression that Runyan was your plug and play LG.

Thomas
Runyan
JMS
Eluemunor
Neal

Runyan has played more LG than anything despite playing the past 2 seasons at RG and Eluemunor has played more RG than LG so he's a logical fit there if we keep Neal at RT.

Jolly Blue Giant

We have to see what Jon Runyon will do. He's perfect size, athletic, 26 yrs old w/ 5 years of experience. It also has a lot to do with Carmen Bricillo. For all we know, Runyon might be the next Shaun O'Hara, only bigger. They even look somewhat alike (which means nothing, I know). For all we know, we might already have the long term solution at LG. I'm more interested in seeing how Bricillo coaches up this unit

Runyon

O'Hara
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

brownelvis54

Cooper Beebe
OG
Kansas State
Height: 6 - 3 |
Weight: 322 lbs |
RAS: 9.28

Draft him in the 2nd round and slide Runyun to RG

Philosophers

Draft Zak Zinter to play RG and play Runyan at LG. 

brownelvis54

Jolly Blue Giant

I've been super-high on Zinter from day one. But the more I research, the more I discover a lot of analysts aren't high on him at all. Very confusing  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 23, 2024, 01:04:42 PMI've been super-high on Zinter from day one. But the more I research, the more I discover a lot of analysts aren't high on him at all. Very confusing  :-??

First team All American in 2023, started 42 of 45 games and leader on the best OL for the past 3 years.  He's big at 6'6" and at 322 pounds, he probably could even add strength weight if he wanted.  I've seen him play a lot.  Michigan's zone and gap scheme blocking is very sophisticated and complicated and Zinter knew it intimately.  He played RG at Michigan.  His season ending injury was a bone break of tibia and fibula, not a soft tissue (e.g. ligament) injury which is much better for his long term prognosis.

Jclayton92

But why? We have holes everywhere, if we've solved the line, let's solve another problem.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2024, 03:27:11 PMBut why? We have holes everywhere, if we've solved the line, let's solve another problem.

Nobody knows if the OL problems have been solved yet and if not we lose half the team's ability plus stress the D.  I am not convinced Neal will be the starting RT so assume Ele is there and Runyon is one of the two guards.  That leaves the hole at other guard.  Eze and McKethan are not starters.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2024, 03:27:11 PMBut why? We have holes everywhere, if we've solved the line, let's solve another problem.

Because its the Giants. Recent history says 4 of these 5 guys will be hurt by October.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jclayton92

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 23, 2024, 04:50:38 PMBecause its the Giants. Recent history says 4 of these 5 guys will be hurt by October.
I get that, but we will never be able to field a competent team if everyone doesn't give the people we do draft time to get. Neal has barely played a full season and he's a bust, Ezeudu has played multiple positions never really being able to develop in one spot. They need time.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 23, 2024, 05:09:38 PMI get that, but we will never be able to field a competent team if everyone doesn't give the people we do draft time to get. Neal has barely played a full season and he's a bust, Ezeudu has played multiple positions never really being able to develop in one spot. They need time.

J - Neal looked worse than any 1st round I have ever seen play. He was completely whiffing on blocks multiple times in year 2.  The coaching staff would be negligent to assume he comes around.  Plan for worst and get surprised if better.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 23, 2024, 05:37:49 PMJ - Neal looked worse than any 1st round I have ever seen play. He was completely whiffing on blocks multiple times in year 2.  The coaching staff would be negligent to assume he comes around.  Plan for worst and get surprised if better.
He actually was coming along in year 2 even with the injuries. I think our oline coach was horrible for him. I think he'll balance out as a solid tackle. Just our line makes people look worse than they are and that's happened for years now.