News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Barkley

Started by Leek21, September 17, 2023, 07:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jaime

We all know the guy is injury prone. A hugely limiting factor in his career. Can't say it any better than Dgoodmantrublu
did. It behooves us to Spend our $ in the trenches, that's where games are won or lost. :yes:

What bothers me significantly, is anyone could see the ankle injury to Barkley was severe, with how he was helped off the Field. And yet, no Staff members prevented him from limping around the sideline, which certainly would only put his injury at greater risk of an extended healing period. Sometimes, these Players need to be protected from themselves. They're a big investment made by Management & Ownership. 20 years ago not so much, but these days, elite Players contracts are regularly hitting the 100 Mill mark.

My guess is, at the very least, Barkley misses three games. At worst, eight games. There's a few things working against him. His age, injury history, and the position he plays.

PSUBeirut

Didn't take long to pile onto Barkley here.  No shock I guess. 

I'd love for someone to come up with a better term for bad luck with injuries as opposed to being "injury prone" - IMO there's a huge difference.  Barkley does everything in his power to get healthy and stay healthy.  It's not like he's had bad hammies or other soft tissue stuff.  Every injury has truly been a fluke. 

I saw a team captain doing everything in his power to help his team come back from a massive deficit (one that he helped create in the 1st half, for sure)- getting injured on a fluke roll up of the ankle while he was trying to help salt the game away.  My hat's off to the guy and I know for a fact he will (again) work his ass off to come back strong and (again) do everything he can to help your favorite team win football games.   :ok:

Dgoodmantrublu

I don't think it is him that is injury prone. He just plays a position where guys get hurt at a higher rate.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 17, 2023, 09:31:26 PMI don't think it is him that is injury prone. He just plays a position where guys get hurt at a higher rate.

Precisely.

Barkley may just be unlucky, but he is unlucky within the context that he plays a position with an extremely high injury rate and also the shortest shelf life.

Barkley is a tremendous talent and a tremendous teammate. I'm not going to spend much time getting into discussions about contracts and future plans etc. My views on all of that are pretty clear at this point, and we did enough of that in the offseason. I just want him to get well so he can come back and do what he loves and help us win as many games as possible in 2023.

Rambo89

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 17, 2023, 09:31:26 PMI don't think it is him that is injury prone. He just plays a position where guys get hurt at a higher rate.

Agree with this.  It doesn't matter how much he works to stay healthy and takes care of himself when he plays a position that takes the beating it does.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

Ive been dying to see what Eric Gray can do. Brieda and Brightwell are also very good players

We are very deep at RB. This should not slow us one bit.  Go Giants

I wish Saquon a great recovery and frankly would have traded him in the off season....now this
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

President Rick

have to wonder - if it's the same guy - why the steelers let conner walk.  he was looking like derrick henry out there.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

DaveBrown74

Are we expecting a more comprehensive diagnosis/prognosis on Barkley before the end of the day today?

Painter

Quote from: PSUBeirut on September 17, 2023, 09:27:37 PMDidn't take long to pile onto Barkley here.  No shock I guess. 

I'd love for someone to come up with a better term for bad luck with injuries as opposed to being "injury prone" - IMO there's a huge difference.  Barkley does everything in his power to get healthy and stay healthy.  It's not like he's had bad hammies or other soft tissue stuff.  Every injury has truly been a fluke. 

I saw a team captain doing everything in his power to help his team come back from a massive deficit (one that he helped create in the 1st half, for sure)- getting injured on a fluke roll up of the ankle while he was trying to help salt the game away.  My hat's off to the guy and I know for a fact he will (again) work his ass off to come back strong and (again) do everything he can to help your favorite team win football games.  :ok:

Steve, your defense of Barkley, while by no means unreasonable, is quite obviously reflexive in dismissing any implication to be drawn from the fact that bad luck has now made it likely that he will add further to his unavailability which already amounts to almost third of his total games for which his presence can otherwise be seen as nearly indispensable.

And so, in recognizing that past is not prologue, we can do no more than hope that he will return to form and to his full value added.

Cheers!

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 18, 2023, 12:23:48 PMAre we expecting a more comprehensive diagnosis/prognosis on Barkley before the end of the day today?
just heard low ankle as opposed to high ankle on Pat Macafee show.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 18, 2023, 12:42:19 PMjust heard low ankle as opposed to high ankle on Pat Macafee show.

Right, that's definitely the expectation/hope everyone has. But I was not aware that there was any formal conclusive word on that.

Trench

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 18, 2023, 12:42:19 PMjust heard low ankle as opposed to high ankle on Pat Macafee show.

Is that better or worse usually?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on September 18, 2023, 12:43:32 PMIs that better or worse usually?

Low ankle is much better than high ankle. High ankle is a 4-6 week recovery usually. Low ankle is just a routine sprain.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE