News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

5 names to start following in CFB

Started by Stringer Bell, September 19, 2023, 09:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stringer Bell

When looking at the defensive struggles, it makes me start thinking about who I want to see brought in to fill some of these gaps.

The two biggest holes are edge and DL (Micah is the weakest starter out there, but I'm focused on high round picks for now).

Here are 5 guys I'm going to follow closely in college football to see if they might be fits for us:

-- Dallas Turner, edge, Alabama
-- Jer'Zhan Newton, DL, Illinois
-- Bralen Trice, edge, Washington
-- Jack Sawyer, edge, Ohio St.
-- Laiatu Latu, edge, UCLA

Share some of the guys you are keeping tabs on.

Philosophers

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 19, 2023, 09:50:33 AMWhen looking at the defensive struggles, it makes me start thinking about who I want to see brought in to fill some of these gaps.

The two biggest holes are edge and DL (Micah is the weakest starter out there, but I'm focused on high round picks for now).

Here are 5 guys I'm going to follow closely in college football to see if they might be fits for us:

-- Dallas Turner, edge, Alabama
-- Jer'Zhan Newton, DL, Illinois
-- Bralen Trice, edge, Washington
-- Jack Sawyer, edge, Ohio St.
-- Laiatu Latu, edge, UCLA

Share some of the guys you are keeping tabs on.

Did you pick then because you are familiar with them and want to see how they develop this season?

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Philosophers on September 19, 2023, 01:15:13 PMDid you pick then because you are familiar with them and want to see how they develop this season?

I picked them based on my familiarity with the players, my perception of their fit with the Giants, and based on what I felt are the Giants biggest needs.

I also tried to exclude guys who, as of now, are not projected to go top 10 or higher. Obviously, a lot can change in terms of their draft status, but i didn't include someone like Jared Verse as I don't think the Giants will be picking high enough to draft him.

True Blue

I like Trice, if he has a great and healthy season, I'd be interested

Jclayton92

With our first two games under our belt there is a ton of talent this year in college that could upgrade almost every position on our team.

Dgoodmantrublu

So much will change between now and the draft. Including team needs. It is so early in the process.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 19, 2023, 07:08:03 PMSo much will change between now and the draft. Including team needs. It is so early in the process.

I disagree. Edge and DL will most definitely remain a high need (maybe the biggest need). Nothing is going to change that. Ojulari will always be Glass Joe and not to be counted on. Plus, we have absolutely zero depth at edge. Basham and Ward are warm bodies.

By not restructuring his deal this year, it's all but guaranteed JS plans to move on from Leo after the season. We will need a skilled player to fill that void. Riley has promise, but I don't think he's ready for a full time role next season.

I like identifying guys at positions of need early in the process so I can watch how their seasons progress. I find it a much more valuable exercise than retroactively evaluating them in snippets or via highlights.

Jclayton92

The problem is we have been horrible at identifying talent lately do even if we get great picks or whatever it's hard to have faith in the organization to draft the right guys.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 20, 2023, 05:39:05 PMThe problem is we have been horrible at identifying talent lately do even if we get great picks or whatever it's hard to have faith in the organization to draft the right guys.

That's why I asked board members to identify the talent  ;)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 20, 2023, 05:39:05 PMThe problem is we have been horrible at identifying talent lately

Hopefully that's changing

Dgoodmantrublu

This year's draft appears to have been really good. This was the first draft we've had with Schoen's entire team in place.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 20, 2023, 05:39:05 PMThe problem is we have been horrible at identifying talent lately do even if we get great picks or whatever it's hard to have faith in the organization to draft the right guys.

Philosophers

Other than QB, all my favs to watch are underclassmen not eleigible til later.  Guys like Harold Perkins out of LSU and Will Johnson out of Michigan.