News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- So, I re-watched the first half again -

Started by sxdxca38, September 19, 2023, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

And without focusing on DJ or the offensive line for a minute, maybe we can focus on the skill position players.

This is what I saw.

A) Waller dropped a pass right over the middle.
B) Campbell dropped a pass right over the middle.
C) Barkley dropped a pass which hit him right in the hands and lead to an interception.
D) Campbell dropped another outlet pass which went right through his hands.
E) Slayton slipped coming out of his break, and the ball sailed out of his reach.

I believe DJ was 10/16 in the first half, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Question to the board, if Waller, Campbell, and Barkley made completed catches, instead of drops, would the offense have been better in the 1st half?

No right or wrong answer, just curious your thoughts?

Trench

Absolutely yes, they (and Jones) would have looked better. 

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

I saw Slayton wide open for a TD on a ball that was under thrown could have jump started them even before the second half began
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

Goes without saying receptions > incompletions

sxdxca38

Quote from: Trench on September 19, 2023, 08:17:46 PMAbsolutely yes, they (and Jones) would have looked better. 

Thanks for answering that, I agree with you the offense as a whole would have been better

sxdxca38

sxdxca38

Quote from: True Blue on September 19, 2023, 08:37:28 PMGoes without saying receptions > incompletions

I agree, and thanks for answering!

Completions over incompletions!

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 19, 2023, 08:38:16 PMThanks for answering that, I agree with you the offense as a whole would have been better

To me it was an easy question to answer. I think it's also important for us to accept there is always room for improvement. Coaches calling plays in 2nd half looked much better and of course because players executed and also probably they upped their game.

To me, when Aaron Judge goes 0-3 I am still cheering for him on the 4th AB and if he looks horrible or fails in a big spot I'll grow frustrated and/or maybe even let him hear it.

Someone likened it to watching the game in a bar in real time where emotions are raw. That was a good comparison. Things are said (or around here typed) in heat of emotion. Every SINGLE person on here has done it I believe in one form or another.

Ed Vette

It's good to record and rewatch a game when all the emotion is taken out of it. There's a lot to be picked up on.

Not for everyone. Some only like to rewatch wins. Some only losses. It's for the serious fan.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Seeing the plays develop from behind the Giants' bench, I had the impression that Daniel Jones was a bit out of sync with his receivers which appeared to come from him feeling rushed in the pocket. It just looked like his clock was a small fraction of a second off because the balls weren't always put in the best position for the receiver to make a clean catch. The Barkley play was the most obvious of these; however, there were others that were more subtle but noticeable. Also, he hadn't stretched out Arizona's secondary yet and their front seven were getting penetration.

They came out like gangbusters in the second half and the Cardinals, apart from answering the opening drive, really had no answers after that as the Giants started hitting on full cylinders and you could literally feel the energy emanate off the Giant bench, to us fans behind them, and we all just recirculated that energy as they kept turning it up while we turned it up. It was a beautiful experience as we fed off each other and it led to the amazing outcome which came to pass.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

Quote from: kartanoman on September 19, 2023, 08:56:56 PMSeeing the plays develop from behind the Giants' bench, I had the impression that Daniel Jones was a bit out of sync with his receivers which appeared to come from him feeling rushed in the pocket. It just looked like his clock was a small fraction of a second off because the balls weren't always put in the best position for the receiver to make a clean catch. The Barkley play was the most obvious of these; however, there were others that were more subtle but noticeable. Also, he hadn't stretched out Arizona's secondary yet and their front seven were getting penetration.

They came out like gangbusters in the second half and the Cardinals, apart from answering the opening drive, really had no answers after that as the Giants started hitting on full cylinders and you could literally feel the energy emanate off the Giant bench, to us fans behind them, and we all just recirculated that energy as they kept turning it up while we turned it up. It was a beautiful experience as we fed off each other and it led to the amazing outcome which came to pass.

Peace!
It's an intangible aspect of the game that's lost on fans watching the game on television, but you can feel it live as you're a part of the energy. You can feel the ebbs and flows, the highs and lows. So much of this game is built off of energy and momentum. The crowd and the players feed off each other.

A short story of how you feel a game slipping away. Rich @MightyGiants was at the game with my brother and I. The Giants had a huge lead against Philly and one bad play snowballed and you could just feel the game slipping away. It also happened in a playoff game against the Niners.

Some teams have the right makeup of players who have the mental toughness to will their way to win. Some leave it all on the field and can't bring it back for just one more game.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on September 19, 2023, 08:42:47 PMTo me it was an easy question to answer. I think it's also important for us to accept there is always room for improvement. Coaches calling plays in 2nd half looked much better and of course because players executed and also probably they upped their game.

To me, when Aaron Judge goes 0-3 I am still cheering for him on the 4th AB and if he looks horrible or fails in a big spot I'll grow frustrated and/or maybe even let him hear it.

Someone likened it to watching the game in a bar in real time where emotions are raw. That was a good comparison. Things are said (or around here typed) in heat of emotion. Every SINGLE person on here has done it I believe in one form or another.

That's why I like to say, What Happens in the Game Thread, Stays in the Game Thread.  It's not fair to hold anybody to what they said in the heat of the game.  Although it does make some amusing reading after the fact when you already know what the outcome is.  Particularly when the outcome is positive.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 19, 2023, 08:49:48 PMIt's good to record and rewatch a game when all the emotion is taken out of it. There's a lot to be picked up on.

Not for everyone. Some only like to rewatch wins. Some only losses. It's for the serious fan.

It you have the disposable income, I recommend NFL+; I think it was only $60 this year.  It allows you to rewatch any game after it airs; it cuts every thing but the actual plays, which allows you to watch it in well under 90 mins. It also offers different camera angles.  It's worth the money, if you're truly interested in dissecting the game. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on September 19, 2023, 09:29:23 PMIt you have the disposable income, I recommend NFL+; I think it was only $60 this year.  It allows you to rewatch any game after it airs; it cuts every thing but the actual plays, which allows you to watch it in well under 90 mins. It also offers different camera angles.  It's worth the money, if you're truly interested in dissecting the game.

It also gives you the all-22.  I have NFL+, but what I don't have is the football chops to really benefit from it to it's full extent. :-??
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll