News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is DJ More Effective 7 Steps Back

Started by Philosophers, September 20, 2023, 03:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I may be wrong but in the Cards game second half it looked like DJ was throwing from about 7 steps back rather than 5 or 3 steps back.  He operates in shotgun or pistol so 7 steps back is a measure more center.

That said he seemed deeper to me which gave him time and an ability to really square up and step into his throws.

Did others notice that or am I wrong?

Dgoodmantrublu

He is more effective when he looks to do more than just quick game. All 3 and 5 step drops invites the safeties to condense the field. We finally used the entire field in this game.

Philosophers

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 20, 2023, 04:13:20 PMHe is more effective when he looks to do more than just quick game. All 3 and 5 step drops invites the safeties to condense the field. We finally used the entire field in this game.

I have always loved a 7 step drop because of the greater time to sling it downfield.  That's the Air Coryell in me.

RelaxTension

Quote from: Philosophers on September 20, 2023, 03:45:18 PMI may be wrong but in the Cards game second half it looked like DJ was throwing from about 7 steps back rather than 5 or 3 steps back.  He operates in shotgun or pistol so 7 steps back is a measure more center.

That said he seemed deeper to me which gave him time and an ability to really square up and step into his throws.

I watched the 2nd half yesterday and it did look like Jones was deeper on some of the throws.
Some changes were made on both sides of the ball so hopefully that was the answer as to why they were so bad.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

T200

Seven step dropbacks are definitely better for the passing game. Jones can see the field better, he can step into his throws, and the receivers have more time to get open.

It starts with protection. If the defender is in his face in three steps, he sure as hell ain't making it to seven. The passing game will take off with proper protection up front.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

I wanted to add this as it explains the fundamental purpose of the different dropbacks.

3 Step Drop = Quickiest passing drop; deep designed routes, excluding nine routes (also known as 'go' routes) will usually be around 15 to 20 yards downfield. A 3 step drop is about 1.5 strides time to getting the ball out, and should be 2 to 3 seconds if play is properly executed.

5 Step Drops = Moderate passing drop; designed routes, aside from nine routes and go routes, will be 25-35 yards. QB will drop three full strides and then take a step to collect his momentum before he throws. This will help him push the ball downfield. Ball should be out in 3 to 4 seconds.

7 Step drops = Deepest passing drop; designed routes will mostly be 20+ yards, with the deepest being 35+ yards. The QB will take five full strides and step to bring his momentum forward for his throw. This play takes the longest to develop, but the ball should be out at around 4 to 5 seconds.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/8/29/3272675/the-modern-qb-as-designed-by-bill-walsh
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It's a little more complicated than that. There are snaps Under Center and Shotgun Snaps.

In Snaps Under Center, the QB or DJ in this case has a RB in an I Formation. It's designed for the RB to see the entire field and watch the Blocking unfold. The RB is usually 7-8 yards behind the LOS. It's also designed to set up Play Action Passes. For the Readers, that's when the QB fakes a handoff and drops back to pass. This is intended to freeze the Inside LBs and Safeties. When DJ fakes the handoff he usually quick steps to the 7+ drop but that's for deep throws. Since the RB moves up to the handoff, DJ has also stopped at the 5 drop and we saw that in a quick Slant to Waller. We saw the deeper drop in the sideline pass to Hyatt. Eli used to take long strides to his drop-back crossing one leg over the other. He also took the snap with his right foot back until McAdoo corrected that to the left foot back as it made the drop back faster and more fluid both in shot gun and UC. DJ moves back like an Offensive Tackle with his steps and leads with his left foot then dropping his right foot and stutter steps the rest.

In Shotgun DJ has his back foot five yards back and upon taking the snap, he either stays out in short throws or skips back a yard or two based on the depth of the pass. It's a timing issue to allow the Receivers to get to their desired depth and the seven drop allows him to make his progression reads.

A five step UC is usually are for an intended Receiver or route combination of a high/low. A three step UC or Five Shotgun are used for quick short passes and screens.

So to answer the question, no I don't think Daniel Jones is more proficient at one or the other. I do think he's a superior athlete with excellent feet much more so than Eli and that's an asset.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Last two posts by Rich and Ed were great.  What I saw in second half with DJ was even in Shotgun, he took more than 1-2 steps back on his longer throws.  He threw ultimately from 7 steps back from under center but he was maybe 9 steps back from under center.

What I think his multiple steps back does is generate more mechanical steps to set up a forward motion with rhythm.  It also gives him more time to look downfield. 

Trench

Quote from: T200 on September 21, 2023, 08:09:52 AMSeven step dropbacks are definitely better for the passing game. Jones can see the field better, he can step into his throws, and the receivers have more time to get open.

It starts with protection. If the defender is in his face in three steps, he sure as hell ain't making it to seven. The passing game will take off with proper protection up front.

My only issue is if he does this seven step he really needs to improve on looking off the safety. I've watched closely a lot of times the safeties are clearly watching his eyes. When Rodgers drops back he's looking in the opposite direction of where the ball is intended to go. That's the stuff I'm talking about. But yes, he looks good on 7 step drop

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on September 20, 2023, 03:45:18 PMI may be wrong but in the Cards game second half it looked like DJ was throwing from about 7 steps back rather than 5 or 3 steps back.  He operates in shotgun or pistol so 7 steps back is a measure more center.

When he has time, sure

Dgoodmantrublu

Jones did an outstanding job of manipulating the safeties with his eyes in the 2nd half of this past game. Him staring down receivers was not an issue at all.

Quote from: Trench on September 21, 2023, 02:49:29 PMMy only issue is if he does this seven step he really needs to improve on looking off the safety. I've watched closely a lot of times the safeties are clearly watching his eyes. When Rodgers drops back he's looking in the opposite direction of where the ball is intended to go. That's the stuff I'm talking about. But yes, he looks good on 7 step drop

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 21, 2023, 03:05:14 PMJones did an outstanding job of manipulating the safeties with his eyes in the 2nd half of this past game. Him staring down receivers was not an issue at all.

This is correct
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 21, 2023, 03:05:14 PMJones did an outstanding job of manipulating the safeties with his eyes in the 2nd half of this past game. Him staring down receivers was not an issue at all.

[/quote

If that is a fact then it makes me happy because this guy is laser locked on receivers. Absolutely laser locked. Hope u guys are right. Truly hope so