News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What Happens If Eze Plays Well At OT Tonight?

Started by Philosophers, September 21, 2023, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Against the Cards, Eze did not play top 10 NFL DL but he will against 49ers.  If he looks really good playing OLT, do you think the Giants may try to get him snaps at ORT if Neal struggles upon ATms return or does he just go back to Guard?

True Blue

I doubt he will replace Neal this soon if ever. But I think he should get more snaps.

MightyGiants

If Ezeudu does well, and Neal continues to blow up plays by getting beat quickly, I could see Neal going to the bench sooner rather than later.  Ezeudu doesn't have the strength you would prefer in a RT, but providing reasonable pass protection is more important.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I think it's better to keep EZ on the left side if he plays well.

I would have a crazy lineup if EZ plays really well at LT.

It'd be EZ- Neal- JMS- Brederson- Thomas

Neal at LG takes the pressure off him and let's him just play football.

Jclayton92

I'm not sure EZ can play RT, just because he can play left.

uconnjack8

Will be interested to see how he handles bull rushes.  The knock I see around here is his strength, so I assume SF has observed that.

I know RT is usually associated with people mover in the run game, but today you need someone that can handle a speed rush on pass sets as much or more than the run strength.  Further, his agility allows for other types of plays in the run game.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 21, 2023, 10:59:34 AMI think it's better to keep EZ on the left side if he plays well.

I don't think its likely the move Neal anytime soon.  I feel moving Thomas is a lot less likely.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 21, 2023, 10:59:34 AMI think it's better to keep EZ on the left side if he plays well.

@Ed Vette also suggested this.  I don't personally have an objection.  That said, I would be surprised if the Giants moved Thomas after rewarding him with that big contract.  LT for some reason is still more valued than RT when it comes to NFL contracts. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

I think it would be crazy to move Thomas.

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 21, 2023, 11:02:48 AM@Ed Vette also suggested this.  I don't personally have an objection.  That said, I would be surprised if the Giants moved Thomas after rewarding him with that big contract.  LT for some reason is still more valued than RT when it comes to NFL contracts. 

There is a .01% chance that Thomas will be moved to RT for a player with 2 career starts. Ezeudu will either force Neal to the bench or Glow and play Guard. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

I don't see how he can do well against Bosa with the limited number of Pro Snaps he's taken and I'll be impressed if he does do well, and I'm the one who lobbied for him to be the Swing Tackle last year. I don't see them moving Thomas off LT. At least this year if ever. I can however see them platooning Ezeudu and Neal at RT. It would throw off the Defense because they would assume it's all running plays on that series and it sets things up, while EZ would assume Pass Pro. They probably won't do that either as it cools off the player.

EZ most likely is the Swing this year and if Neal doesn't improve, they compete next year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 21, 2023, 11:02:48 AM@Ed Vette also suggested this.  I don't personally have an objection.  That said, I would be surprised if the Giants moved Thomas after rewarding him with that big contract.  LT for some reason is still more valued than RT when it comes to NFL contracts. 
More of a hypothetical.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

I just don't know about EZ on the right side but I can almost be assured that Neal would do better playing inside. Unless Neal just magically starts playing better which is why that would likely be my line assuming EZ played well.

Rambo89

Quote from: TDToomer on September 21, 2023, 11:10:57 AMThere is a .01% chance that Thomas will be moved to RT for a player with 2 career starts. Ezeudu will either force Neal to the bench or Glow and play Guard. 

Agreed, think we have to pump the breaks on this one and let it play out before worrying about what to do when Thomas is healthy and ready to come back.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 21, 2023, 11:00:28 AMI'm not sure EZ can play RT, just because he can play left.

As I'm still not sure Neal can play RT after having player LT in college.  Wouldn't it be ironic if we have 3 guys who can play LT but none who can play RT.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll