News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants do not match up well to the 49ers

Started by MightyGiants, September 21, 2023, 11:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Per Warren Sharp

The problem for the Giants here is the 49ers cover EVERYTHING the Giants want to do most:
The Giants pass the ball to WRs at the #24 highest rate. Instead, they pass the ball to TEs at the #7 highest rate and to RBs at the #11 highest rate.

The 49ers defense ranks #1 defending RBs, #2 defending TEs but only #22 defending WRs.
The Giants pass the ball outside the numbers at the #28 highest rate. Instead, they pass the ball between the numbers at the #5 highest rate.

The 49ers defense ranks #2 defending passes between the hashes but only #16 defending passes outside the numbers.

So one of two things happens here. On a short week, the Giants don't have time to change up their offense too much without RB Saquon Barkley and LT Andrew Thomas and play right into the strength of the SF defense... or they change up the game plan entirely with very little time to do that and surprise the 49ers with a different offensive approach.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/fantasy/49ers-giants-week-3-fantasy-football-worksheet-rich-hribar-2023/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Rich, the real challenge is for the Giants to stop the run. If they can't and Aiyuk is playing, it will be a long night. They will run CMC and Deeeeeebo down their throat until it opens up the Secondary.

This is the game for the Corners to play off and for the edges to defend the edge with a Safety on the Box.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 21, 2023, 11:24:15 AMRich, the real challenge is for the Giants to stop the run. If they can't and Aiyuk is playing, it will be a long night. They will run CMC and Deeeeeebo down their throat until it opens up the Secondary.

This is the game for the Corners to play off and for the edges to defend the edge with a Safety on the Box.

Concur; I've mentioned this in a few threads...9ers vs Giants is a classic strength vs weakness matchup.  Everything the 9ers do well, the Giants struggle with....this could be a long game for our heroes. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on September 21, 2023, 12:02:02 PMConcur; I've mentioned this in a few threads...9ers vs Giants is a classic strength vs weakness matchup.  Everything the 9ers do well, the Giants struggle with....this could be a long game for our heroes. 
Just like Boxing matches. Ken Norton gave Ali and Holmes fits. He didn't have the chin for Shavers and Cooney. Same with Joe Frazier and Foreman.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

I've seen games where RBs who had run wild got held to a YD per carry
So there is that

At QB I think we have the advantage all things being equal

We have the advantage at WR   at TE its about equal

Our OLine is coming on

at RB its undetermined- based upon limited snaps out reserve RBs have been very good
Brightwell Avg 5.1 YPC last year with a few long runs
Breida is a savvy Vet
Grey is one tough, low to the ground, ankle breaking prospect

Id say offensive coaching is a wash

HC- Equal

Dline- you have to give it to the 49rs
LBers- 49rs
DB's Equal

ST. not sure ours are coming on

Defensive Coaching is a big?   in the past Wink has been very effective- could be this is his game to apply pressure from all angles and even bring the house on occasion

Historically this has been a good rivalry- I'll never forget the game at the meadowlands where Montana got hit so hard by Jim Burt it was a blur in slow motion....they took him right to the HSS in NYC
We need some of that tonight

Should be a tight hard fought battle but in the end I believe the Giants will pull away- long overdue opponent turnovers may be the key

Daniel Jones will have his best game of his career on the ground and in the air
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: kingm56 on September 21, 2023, 12:02:02 PMConcur; I've mentioned this in a few threads...9ers vs Giants is a classic strength vs weakness matchup.  Everything the 9ers do well, the Giants struggle with....this could be a long game for our heroes. 

Yep, especially with the key injuries this is a tall task for this group on a short week.  I am not expecting much and won't change my outlook on the season unless they come out of this with a major injury.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 21, 2023, 12:33:06 PMYep, especially with the key injuries this is a tall task for this group on a short week.  I am not expecting much and won't change my outlook on the season unless they come out of this with a major injury.

Agreed. As I said in another thread, the only (very remote) chance we have in this game is if the 9ers for whatever reason lay an absolute egg.

Philosophers

Hyatt had an entire college career catching passes outside the numbers.  Hmmmm.  Just saying.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 21, 2023, 11:19:21 AMPer Warren Sharp

The problem for the Giants here is the 49ers cover EVERYTHING the Giants want to do most:
The Giants pass the ball to WRs at the #24 highest rate. Instead, they pass the ball to TEs at the #7 highest rate and to RBs at the #11 highest rate.

The 49ers defense ranks #1 defending RBs, #2 defending TEs but only #22 defending WRs.
The Giants pass the ball outside the numbers at the #28 highest rate. Instead, they pass the ball between the numbers at the #5 highest rate.

The 49ers defense ranks #2 defending passes between the hashes but only #16 defending passes outside the numbers.

So one of two things happens here. On a short week, the Giants don't have time to change up their offense too much without RB Saquon Barkley and LT Andrew Thomas and play right into the strength of the SF defense... or they change up the game plan entirely with very little time to do that and surprise the 49ers with a different offensive approach.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/fantasy/49ers-giants-week-3-fantasy-football-worksheet-rich-hribar-2023/

This argues for more Hyatt snaps and more Hyatt/Slayton combination routes.  These really clicked in that second half.  Hyatt's influence extended beyond his 2 big plays as Bobby Skinner demonstrates.

If they can give DJ enough time to make the throws this could be a place where the matchup favors the Giants.

Parenthetically, I'd like to see Bobby do a similar Film Study on Thibs.  I remember tape breakdowns of plays from last season where Thibs didn't make the final play, but his actions set up a teammate to make the play.  I trust Bobby's eye to suss out what's been happening. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll